Can you operate P3 without data/cell service or is it meant to run with data connectivity

I use my iphone 6 plus which i assume has gps and i have data aswell which gives me maps in the field but i cant get this dynamic home point for controller location to work
Any help appreciated
Make sure location services are enabled for the DJI app on your iPhone 6

I strongly believe that GPS is must have - yesterday my P3 went crazy and after multiple tries to stabilise it on the air (drifting around with ~200m radius), I decided to do CSC. P3 crashed from minimal possible altitude in wheat field ... and this is why GPS on phone/tablet is must have - I was able to find P3 in the field, otherwise I would spend days searching for it.

Pilot app in such case shows exact position of your drone & approx. of your phone (phone GPS is not that correct as drone). Because of that, I managed to go to spot where to search for it in 3-5 m radius.

P.S. It was a wheat field.

Last edited:
You can't get maps up without having some connectivity to something at sometime and having then stored it, see it later when not connected. Snoozedoggydog is right on this one.

You can't get maps up without having some connectivity to something at sometime and having then stored it, see it later when not connected. Snoozedoggydog is right on this one.
Seems to be some correct info in this thread but if someone is confused when they start reading it they will just get more confused after reading the whole thread. Too much confusing information, conjecture, and mis-information.

But from what I gather, if you want to use all functions of the Go app and in particular the dynamic home point you need GPS on your phone or tablet. Also, that Apple devices do not have stand-alone GPS unless they have cellular capability AND a SIM card is not necessary to get full functions using the GPS with the Go app. So unless someone says I'm wrong I'm off to get an "Apple iPad Mini 16GB Wi-Fi +4G Cellurar (Factory Unlocked)" from Amazon for $269.99 unless someone knows a much better deal. Despite not liking Apple for various reasons after reading 100s of threads about the best device to use it seems that overall Apples (with cellular) work better than Droids.

i just wanted to know, if i need the GPS chip in ipad mini 2 cellular for the follow me and dynamic rth functions.

Seems to be some correct info in this thread but if someone is confused when they start reading it they will just get more confused after reading the whole thread. Too much confusing information, conjecture, and mis-information.

But from what I gather, if you want to use all functions of the Go app and in particular the dynamic home point you need GPS on your phone or tablet. Also, that Apple devices do not have stand-alone GPS unless they have cellular capability AND a SIM card is not necessary to get full functions using the GPS with the Go app. So unless someone says I'm wrong I'm off to get an "Apple iPad Mini 16GB Wi-Fi +4G Cellurar (Factory Unlocked)" from Amazon for $269.99 unless someone knows a much better deal. Despite not liking Apple for various reasons after reading 100s of threads about the best device to use it seems that overall Apples (with cellular) work better than Droids.

Related question from a newbie. If I want to fly in an area where the mapping is poor quality (super mountainous remote part of NW Ecuador) and there is no cell connection, am I just out of luck? I can't really pull up the location on maps. I can get a very high altitude satellite overview, but nothing close enough to pick out anything but the largest geographical features. The area is about 4 miles from a town call La Merced de Buenos Aires, Ecuador.

You do not need cell connection to have gps.
I use a Ipod Touch 6 and it has no cell connection.

You do not need cell connection to have gps.
I use a Ipod Touch 6 and it has no cell connection.
Yes, I gathered that from the earlier responses in this thread, but if I cache maps and they are of insufficient quality for this remote region does having GPS do me any good? I'll be flying in mountainous obstacle laden terrain. Again, I'm new here, so if my question is nonsensical just tell me.

Yes, I gathered that from the earlier responses in this thread, but if I cache maps and they are of insufficient quality for this remote region does having GPS do me any good? I'll be flying in mountainous obstacle laden terrain. Again, I'm new here, so if my question is nonsensical just tell me.
1. Maps are not at all necessary for flying. In over two years I have hardly used them
2. GPS isn't about maps. GPS is a very important part of Phantom flying
The Phantom has a good GPS unit and although you can fly without GPS, probably 98% of Phantom flying is done in GPS mode because it makes everything much easier.
GPS is what the Phantom uses to hold position, return home, measure speed, fly waypoints and other missions etc, etc.

I have a dilemma that has to do with this exact philosophical debate and I have to thank all the participants for solving ( in my mind) a genuine issue.

See the drone is a mans' who is as a brother to me, not my own drone (tho I do get to "rescue" it on occasion). I am trying to assist him with learning about it and how to use it.

I am just concerned that he was taken advantage of by the clerk who sold him the unit and an iPad having taken advantage of him by forcing a mobile data plan unnecesarily.

He was told data was required to fly it, not that it was required to update the visual map with waypoints. He would not have gotten data otherwise. For what the drone is going to be used for, an unlocked iPad air2 would have been the end if it. Now he may be locked into a term plan he didn't need or want.

The product functions beautifully, imho. Just a shame he might be jaded against it because a salesman got greedy.

Here's hoping he decides to keep it.

Data is not required, however, if going the iOS route, then getting a data capable unit is required to get GPS in the tablet. Is that required? No it is not, but it does give you the ability to have the Phantom follow you, as well as the ability to reset the home point to the current location of the remote control/ tablet, which can be nice if your moving around. So, if you don't want the data for real time map acquisition in the field, go ahead and cancel the data plan. You can cache needed maps before heading out if you prefer.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan