Can you operate P3 without data/cell service or is it meant to run with data connectivity

Reaction score
Does the iPad or even cell phone have to be connected to wifi or cell service to operate the P3 and in order to use certain functions (will it cut out certain functions if so what?) or it can run without connectivity to data - reason being that maybe the service interferes with the P3 remote reception + would there be any difference in reception between and iPad, iPad Mini, and the iPhone... If it effects the reception which does it the least... Is the P3 meant to be operated with cell service or it don't matter?? Also one of the reasons I'm asking is because I wna know if I could buy and iPad w/out the cell service (much simpler)

As long as you cache your maps while on WiFi you do not need cellular access while "in the field".

While on WiFi open the pilot app and go to the map. Browse where you want to fly until the map becomes clear and defined on zooming in. Done, cached. Or if you get caught short while out and about you can always tether to your phone, just an idea.

No map caching necessary as long as you have a tablet t that fits the bill of having a gps card in it.
I fly using a Ipad Air 2 with wifi and cellular capabilities (that comes with gps chip too) but I do not have the cellular sim card activated (no data plan).
The Ipad with wifi only does not have a gps card... with cellular capabilities it has gps provided separate from sims card and so I use
gps and maps from satellites through the DJI ap.
The telephone companies will tell you that you have to have a data plan ... you do not.

Reactions: Toddzilla
No map caching necessary as long as you have a tablet t that fits the bill of having a gps card in it.
I fly using a Ipad Air 2 with wifi and cellular capabilities (that comes with gps chip too) but I do not have the cellular sim card activated (no data plan).
The Ipad with wifi only does not have a gps card... with cellular capabilities it has gps provided separate from sims card and so I use
gps and maps from satellites through the DJI ap.
The telephone companies will tell you that you have to have a data plan ... you do not.
So your telling me I can buy an iPad Mini w data availability but never hook the data up because the iPads w data have gps card already so all data can be shut off and it will still operate the GPS function on pilot app without cache? Pls confirm (when I shut all service from my phone GPS dosnt work is that because my cellphone dosnt have a GPS chip

If you don't have an active internet connection out in the field you will need to cache the maps or tether your phone.

You need data of sorts to load the map graphics from Google otherwise the map area will be blank, but GPS will work regardless.

Reactions: Jeff
Let's make clear.
P3 has GPSr, can know latitude/longitude by herself. The P3 R/C doesn't have. But without tablet, P3 can fly. Even RTH does work. If we have tablet, we can see many flight data, more control of camera.
If tablet has GPSr, we can know where the operator is (but no map; to know relative location between pilot and bird, it's works), and can re-set home point at tablet coords.
If tablet has data connection, we can see the maps. Even no data connection, if tablet contains map cache then map is displayed. Also (tablet's) GPSr utilize data connection to download A-GPS data (quick startup, better precision).
The "flight mode" shuts down wifi/cellular data connection, and tablet's GPSr (not for P3 flight mode, right? :) ).

Pls point out my mistake, thanks.

Reactions: cdronefly
Even I'm confused!

Easy answer: Fly it with a smartphone or tablet/ iPad with cellular and/or gps!

Let's make clear.
P3 has GPSr, can know latitude/longitude by herself. The P3 R/C doesn't have. But without tablet, P3 can fly. Even RTH does work. If we have tablet, we can see many flight data, more control of camera.
If tablet has GPSr, we can know where the operator is (but no map; to know relative location between pilot and bird, it's works), and can re-set home point at tablet coords.
If tablet has data connection, we can see the maps. Even no data connection, if tablet contains map cache then map is displayed. Also (tablet's) GPSr utilize data connection to download A-GPS data (quick startup, better precision).
The "flight mode" shuts down wifi/cellular data connection, and tablet's GPSr (not for P3 flight mode, right? :) ).

Pls point out my mistake, thanks.
So your saying I need data connection to upload maps... And maps won't upload when service is off even though you have GPS chip, but your saying all that will happen w no service and GPS is that it will just track the operator but not update maps?

As the members of dragons den would say ... I'm out!

Last edited:
So Operating on an iPad mini w data service not active but has GPS, will map still function same way
Yes, as long as you cache you maps on WiFi at home before you leave. Or anywhere else you can get wifi

Plain english is this:

A GPS chip shows you your location on a map. It does not download the map for you. If you have never cached(or viewed the maps on an active connection) or you do not have an active data connection in the field, those maps are not going to be on your device. The GPS will know where you are, it just will not have a map to pinpoint it on.

Reactions: adjmirealty
My iphone 6 plus does not do person or tx location with my P3 and i have data gps and all i just cant get it working
Help appreciated

My iphone 6 plus does not do person or tx location with my P3 and i have data gps and all i just cant get it working
Help appreciated
Start a new thread in the help section dear sir.

As long as you cache your maps while on WiFi you do not need cellular access while "in the field".

Even if you don't cache maps it works fine. The map will show up blank white, but it it still knows which direction is home, how far out you are, etc.

So no, you don't need any wifi, or data connection at all.

What!? Factually correct but I don't think what he ideally wants. Unless you want to split hairs ...

So your saying I need data connection to upload maps... And maps won't upload when service is off even though you have GPS chip, but your saying all that will happen w no service and GPS is that it will just track the operator but not update maps?
Yes that is what I am telling you or saying in regards to the Ipad Air 2 with wifi and cellular capabilities (I have not researched if you get a gps chip with Ipad mini with wifi and cellular capabilities, however I do believe I remember reading that).
Some information you are being given by some is just not correct. I am a new flyer however know from research prior to buying the bird and by flying experience since... you do not need any data plan to use maps if you buy the right tablet and use the provided satellite GPS.
I fly far out away from wifi ... in the National Forest yesterday some 35 miles from home, I have not use introduced a cache of maps, I have no data plan what-so-ever and the sim card is not even in the my Ipad:
I do not fly with blank screen or "black and white" map. I have choice of maps (through the ap and gps) of Standard (road/street maps, Satellite (topo) or Hybrid (topo with roads/streets). I fly using Satellite mode and have not used the others, I can record and use my flight path on the map. The maps I used are satellite imagery that are available by using satellites and the DJI Ap and without any data plan (none).
Flown about 30 flights in the last 10 days from many different locations and always using maps and having no "data plan" what-so-ever. People that say that you need the data plan are uninformed... if you have gps capabilities (chip) without wifi and the DJI Ap then it is not needed. Even the Cellular Companies told me I needed a data plan (cheapest being 2 gigs at $40/mo. on a two year contract + $min.$960 commitment). I told them I thought they were wrong, I researched more and paid $120 extra to get a tablet with wifi and cellular capabilities instead of just wifi and ... I proved them wrong and saved a bunch of $ .
It is a Fact ~ We do not need any data plan to fly our Phantom3s using maps + satelittes + DJI Pilot Ap (and no wifi) if we have the gps chip in our tablets.

Last edited:
Reactions: jerber
Yes that is what I am telling you or saying in regards to the Ipad Air 2 with wifi and cellular capabilities (I have not researched if you get a gps chip with Ipad mini with wifi and cellular capabilities, however I do believe I remember reading that).
Some information you are being given by some is just not correct. I am a new flyer however know from research prior to buying the bird and by flying experience since... you do not need any data plan to use maps if you buy the right tablet and use the provided satellite GPS.
I fly far out away from wifi ... in the National Forest yesterday some 35 miles from home, I have not use introduced a cache of maps, I have no data plan what-so-ever and the sim card is not even in the my Ipad:
I do not fly with blank screen or "black and white" map. I have choice of maps (through the ap and gps) of Standard (road/street maps, Satellite (topo) or Hybrid (topo with roads/streets). I fly using Satellite mode and have not used the others, I can record and use my flight path on the map. The maps I used are satellite imagery that are available by using satellites and the DJI Ap and without any data plan (none).
Flown about 30 flights in the last 10 days from many different locations and always using maps and having no "data plan" what-so-ever. People that say that you need the data plan are uninformed... if you have gps capabilities (chip) without wifi and the DJI Ap then it is not needed. Even the Cellular Companies told me I needed a data plan (cheapest being 2 gigs at $40/mo. on a two year contract + $min.$960 commitment). I told them I thought they were wrong, I researched more and paid $120 extra to get a tablet with wifi and cellular capabilities instead of just wifi and ... I proved them wrong and saved a bunch of $ .
It is a Fact ~ We do not need any data plan to fly our Phantom3s using maps + satelittes (and no wifi) if we have the gps chip in our tablets.
You sir are wrong. Backup incoming ..... I'm not wasting my breath.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic