Can you fly your Phantom in the rain?

If it even looks like rain i do not fly, if you were some distance away it takes time to come back if the rain starts, I remember once with the pv2+ i was only around 2000ft away and i felt the odd spot of rain, i turned around and flew straight back and i could see the spots of rain building up on the lens through the fpv, it seemed to take ages to come back and although it was only a few mins to land the quad had quite a bit of rain over the shell, dried it off and no problems but said i'd never fly again if it looked like raining. It's suprising how fast even spots of rain build up when flying, these are not waterproof in any way so if you do it then its at your own risk.

Reactions: Jbundy63
After losing a P2V+ because of a little rain, I'd never fly in frain again.
I had a small shower come over just as I was bringing the P2 in.
I got it 20 feet away when the rain got a little heavier and I had to pause to wipe the rain from my glasses.
That's the last I saw of the P2 that day despite searching for the rest of the afternoon.
Rain got into the gimbal and screwed up things badly.
I only saw 3 fractured images on the screen as it flew off and they showed a lot of the landing gear .
It crashed somewhere and was handed in to the police and I got it back but after drying out and replacing the camera, it failed badly on the trial flight and now it's parts.
I also lost another P2 camera due to rain but it wasn't flying when that happened.
Rain trickled into the gimbal and it was not repairable.

Reactions: snowghost
After losing a P2V+ because of a little rain, I'd never fly in frain again.
I had a small shower come over just as I was bringing the P2 in.
I got it 20 feet away when the rain got a little heavier and I had to pause to wipe the rain from my glasses.
That's the last I saw of the P2 that day despite searching for the rest of the afternoon.
Rain got into the gimbal and screwed up things badly.
I only saw 3 fractured images on the screen as it flew off and they showed a lot of the landing gear .
It crashed somewhere and was handed in to the police and I got it back but after drying out and replacing the camera, it failed badly on the trial flight and now it's parts.
I also lost another P2 camera due to rain but it wasn't flying when that happened.
Rain trickled into the gimbal and it was not repairable.
**** that sucks! I'm like you if it even looks like rain. I don't fly!

Was out with my P2+ in Hawaii. Only about 200 feet up and 300 feet out when it started to rain. Quickly brought it back with no issues. Probably a good 30-40 seconds of rain on it so I guess I got lucky I had no issues.

Apparently not since the prop mechanics are partially exposed. I read that the gimbal can malfunction when wet but will work again once dried out. Not going to try it out though. I am still afraid to let it RTH.

Yesterday, there was a light solar storm over northern Canada, so i was expecting compass issues, but im ok with that, So i looked the weather satellite and there was rain cloud 50km from me when i got out, I expected to be ok for at least 1 hour since there was almost no wind....But i was not, i took off and flew about 1.5-2km downwind and then got a compass error, so i kept moving a bit in ATTI mode not really stressed thinking it would go away quickly, and it's then that i started receiving drops of water on my head and arms, here's what happens next :
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Add to quickly orient myself and come back in ATTI mode, with rain falling on the Phantom..

I have flown mine in a few spots of rain, it makes for terrible footage and is obviously not ideal given the venting on the shell.

Not recommended, even if you waterproof it. I was going to waterproof mine for a few short flights in the rain, but after flying through those few spots of rain made my mind up that it would be a pointless exercise footage-wise.

Reactions: Falcon900

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic