Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Can you fly near factories or refineries?

Discussion in 'Rules and Regulations' started by Drestin Black, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Drestin Black

Not power plants.

Is there any restrictions on flying around or over heavy industry?

Some cool looking towers of metal and light I seen I'd love to shoot vid or pix of - any reason I couldn't?

And if you can say why I can't overfly... What about from 100 feet outside their fence line (but in the air)?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

2. flpholt

if you have to ask then probably isn't good thing to due

3. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

There's no general restriction on flying near industrial areas.
    It's the same as flying over residential or golf courses.
    Normal airspace restrictions apply of course.

4. tcope

You need to fly in a safe way.

Drestin Black likes this.
  5. Drestin Black

In another thread I asked; how about the Ford Proving Grounds in Romeo, MI?

I can't think of why I couldn't. Yet I imagine the sky would be full of car enthusiasts looking to see the next Mustang. Hmm

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Jonathan Huff likes this.
  6. GMack

Some states have enacted laws against taking photographs of what they call critical infrastructure or facilities, and oil refineries are part of the definition. Arkansas comes to mind. I think MI is clear of that though as I couldn't find anything other than some laws about drones interfering with hunters (MI bills #54 & 55 in 2015.).

See pages 23-25 here: http://www.ncsl.org/Portals/1/Docum...MANNED_ AIRCRAFT_SYSTEMS_ POLICIES_ (004).pdf

7. Unmannedsky

This is a general NOTAM that may apply to what you intend to do. Make sure it doesn't fall under these. After that I think trespassing could be your biggest concern!

FDC 6/8818
    - ...SPECIAL NOTICE...IN THE INTEREST OF NATIONAL SECURITY AND TO THE EXTENT PRACTICABLE, PILOTS AND UAS OPERATORS ARE STRONGLY ADVISED TO AVOID THE AIRSPACE ABOVE OR IN CLOSE PROXIMITY TO CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE AND OTHER SENSITIVE LOCATIONS SUCH AS POWER PLANTS (NUCLEAR, HYDRO-ELECTRIC, OR COAL), DAMS, REFINERIES, INDUSTRIAL COMPLEXES, MILITARY FACILITIES, CORRECTIONAL AND LAW ENFORCEMENT FACILITIES UNLESS OTHERWISE AUTHORIZED. PILOTS AND UAS OPERATORS SHOULD NOT CIRCLE AS TO LOITER IN THE VICINITY OVER THESE TYPES OF FACILITIES. 23 MAR 15:38 2016 UNTIL PERM. CREATED: 23 MAR 15:37 2016

Drestin Black likes this.
  8. Drestin Black

AHHH, "Refineries, Industrial Complexes" - Yes, that could include places like I'm looking at. Thank you for the info. We are getting fewer and fewer cool places to fly...

9. Unmannedsky

Seriously less cool. There's some wiggle room depending on your terp but NS assets are probably best left Alonso!

10. Drestin Black

Alonso?

11. Unmannedsky

Ha! Auto correct. ...probably best left alone!

12. Drestin Black

Lol ok makes sense. And I agree.
    Thanks for the info!!

13. Unmannedsky

14. flpholt

flying bye them this might happen upload_2016-9-20_16-1-19.png

15. Enrico Schaefer

Approved Vendor

Make sure you get your airspace clearance if it i outside unrestricted Class G. See this map... Google

Drestin is correct about refineries. You would want to coordinate with FAA and demonstrate permission from the refinery owner. Keep in mind the NOTAM says "ARE STRONGLY ADVISED..."

16. GMack

I did some night shots of a refinery for my college photo class with a DSLR and tripod. Their security wasn't impressed with me even though I wasn't on their property and got run off. They seem really testy for some reason (and this was pre-9/11 too!), and I think it had more to do with possible 'dirty stuff' coming out of their stacks at night and the green police or whatever getting on their backs should that be what the photos were for. Dunno, but whatever seems to be listed as "critical infrastructure" seems off limits and can be a gray area open to debate by whatever enforcement shows up.

17. Drestin Black

This particular refinery I saw one night is light up in such an amazing way, really wanted photos.

The roads on both sides of it are now closed to non-employee traffic but there are businesses around it still. A gas station, a car parts store, a u-haul and other small businesses as well as several industrial buildings that all face the refinery from all angles and can see a great deal of its huge structure, in places towering over hundred feet in the air.

If you pull into the gas station during the day and yank out your consumer grade Nikon P900 you can zoom in and read signs hanging from valves and see switches on control panels. At night I sure it would make a pretty sweet photo even from the ground. How could they restrict that? I didn't see any Area 51 style "photography prohibited" signs.

For the record, I don't intend to fly near this thing, I was just curious having admired it using my eyes. This is purely academic to me now.

Enrico Schaefer likes this.