Can you fly in gps mode all the time

Reaction score
Can I fly in this mode all the time, or are there restrictions, what are the advantages/disadvantages against using other modes

All are available no restrictions.

Flight Mode Switch

Toggle the switch to select the desired flight mode.You may choose between; P-mode, F-mode and Amode.

P-mode (Positioning): P-mode works best when the GPS signal is strong. There are three different versions of P-mode, which will be automatically selected by the Phantom 3 Advanced depending on GPS signal strength and the Vision Positioning sensors:

P-GPS: GPS and Vision Positioning both are available; the aircraft is using GPS for positioning.

P-OPTI: Vision Positioning is available but a sufficient GPS signal is not available. Aircraft is using only Vision Positioning for position holding.

P-ATTI: Neither GPS nor Vision Positioning is available, the aircraft is using only its barometer for positioning, so only altitude is maintained.

A-mode (Attitude): GPS and Vision Positioning System are not used for stabilization. The aircraft uses only its barometer to stabilize. The aircraft can automatically return to the Home Point if remote controller signal is lost and the Home Point was recorded successfully.

F-mode (Function): Intelligent Orientation Control (IOC) is activated in this mode. For more information about IOC, refer to the IOC section in the Appendix.

By default, the Flight Mode Switch is locked to P-mode. To unlock other flight modes, launch the DJI Pilot app, enter the “Camera” page, and tap “Mode”, then activate “Multiple Flight Mode”.

Reactions: mick
With my P2 and now my P3, I prefer Atti mode.GPS mode uses more battery and you can go faster.
I use GPS for take off & landing and if I am near trees.
Have had some scrapes while on Atti as you will drift with the wind.
Leave GPS for your Grandma.:)

Reactions: Akrosfer
GPS mode uses more battery

I hadn't heard that GPS mode uses more battery. It makes sense though.
In my head I assumed/hoped the GPS was still powered and locked onto sats but just didn't use the info. That way if you switch from atti to GPS you already have lock...

As I say just an assumption, what kind of real world flight time difference are you seeing?

In my head I assumed/hoped the GPS was still powered and locked onto sats but just didn't use the info. That way if you switch from atti to GPS you already have lock...

As I say just an assumption, what kind of real world flight time difference are you seeing?

To the extent it will fight the wind to stay in position, it's going to use up power. On a calm day it shouldn't matter.

Reactions: Akrosfer
+1 M4

Soooo many variables.

Last edited:
Yeah and also the camera would be using power as well. I notice the difference on the X5C. Used the camera all the time when I was learning to fly. Now I use it without, as compared to the Phantom's camera it is a toy. Get more battery life for sure.

Too bad there isn't a way to use VPS in Atti mode. I'm concerned when flying indoors that I'll get erratic bouncing of GPS signals (even with a 9 or more locks), that will make the phantom "correct" its position by flying into a wall--based on these "ghost" signals caused by various forms of interference found in buildings. In other words, it would be nice to have the option to give VPS precedence on the phantom's sensory hierarchy over GPS, especially since it is potentially so much more accurate when flying low to the floor. (Though engineers at the University of Texas in Austin have recently developed software that can actually calculate GPS signals accurate to a cubic centimeter--tech that will revolutionize many future GPS enabled devices--especially altitude hold). http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/a15420/super-accurate-gps-for-vr/

In the mean time, I suppose I should practice more flying in ATTI mode without all the special handicaps.

the gps doesnt use much battery and is on even in ATTI mode.

HOWEVER. In gps mode your quad will correct all the time to try to stay on course/locked in GPS position. This is what uses a lot of battery as motors keep compensating.

In ATTI mode its smoother and uses much less battery,

Dumb question : how do you switch manually to P-ATTI mode ?
You can't. This means your switch position is on "P" but you don't have GPS or VPS available. It's just an indication that the P3 has automatically switched to ATTI.

Control-wise it's the same as if you put the switch on "A".

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj