Can you fly a camera drone where there is no cellular service?

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a Phantom 3 to fly over a ranch that is in the middle of BFE with sketchy to zero cellular service. Is it possible to navigate without WIFI or cellular service? Any advice would be appreciated. This is my first post.

Yes most of the time I fly in airplane mode which disables WiFi and cellular network.

Cellular network at site may be needed in case you like to see the maps of your location and you didn't cache them before.

Do you have a device recommendation for connecting to the controller? Tablet or whatever?

I use iOS devices so picked up iPad mini. Any version 2 and above is ok, higher the better but needs more cash out :)

Go for a device that has GPS else you will miss out few features.

I use iOS devices so picked up iPad mini. Any version 2 and above is ok, higher the better but needs more cash out :)

Go for a device that has GPS else you will miss out few features.
Thanks, again. I searched the threads and came upon the discussion with lots of folks suggesting iPad Air 2 cellular. I will look into these options.

You will be surprised that people have even gone for huge sized iPad Pro and are enjoying it. I have also seen many fly with iPhone 5/6

Do you have a device recommendation for connecting to the controller? Tablet or whatever?
You can find a list of recommended and commonly used phones/tablets here.

Does the standard mount on the RC accommodate the iPad Air 2, or do you need some aftermarket fix?
The mount can hold a device up to 6.75 inches wide. The iPad Air 2 is 6.6 inches wide.

I use an iPad Pro 12.9 with cellular (with a bracket extender). When I fly I put my Tracfone/Verizon SIM from my Galaxy S6 phone into the iPad Pro and that gives me web access (no voice or SMS and that's OK) so the maps are updated wherever I happen to be (and where there is cell service).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1