Can you fix a bent body arm?

Reaction score
I crashed today using Litchi track follow. My drone went careening off towards a neighbors house and I was trying to get more altitude on the stick but of course it was going up so slow I hit the roof anyway. One of the arms hit the ground and had grass and dirt in the prop guard holder (no guards were installed at the time). Can the body arm be bet back with a heat gun of some other method such as boiling water, etc.? It is just plastic. My bird tumbled to the ground and I found it with battery out and the entire gimbal camera assy detached.
I think I got REAL lucky on the crash since the whole thing came off where the rubber shocks mounts are. One of the gray cables stayed on the drone and one stayed plugged into the gimbal. I have the metal gimbal saver backplate and the carbon fiber gimbal saver underneath. I KNOW that saved me since the gimbal back plate has a scrape and dirt in the screws now.

So, can the bodies be fixed??

Update, my camera works fine. I got real lucky but want to know if anyone has fixed a shell before rather than replace it.

I tweeked one with a hair dryer. A judicial use of a heat gun would be faster.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yeah, I am boiling some water now to soften it up. I have a on the top and both metal mounts broke from the plastic. I am sure I can fix it though. I would just like to see what others have tried and failed and succeeded at.

I was able to soften it enough to flex it back into position. I need to get some plastic epoxy to strengthen it now. I think it will be alright after all.

Please Post Pics for others to see what you have done, did, do!?!
;-)

RedHotPoker

I plan to do that as I continue the repair. I had plans the last 2 nights and have not had time to do much after opening it up and bending the shell back in boiling water.

UPDATE. I got it back together and flew it for a few minutes. It seemed fine but I hovered at eye level and could see one arm was still twisted a bit. After straightening one arm and them JB Welding cracked metal screw posts, and a bottom cup that the screw goes into that broke off, I decided to just get a new body. I will actually straighten this one arm that is warped but keep the body as a spare. I am now debating whether to paint my new body black with Plastic Fusion paint. I also have some chameleon flip paint left over from my golf cart paint job that I can airbrush over the black. The body came today so I am trying to decide what to do. Stock white, black gloss or chameleon gloss.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj