Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Can wind cause jello?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by calipilot, Apr 26, 2014.

1. calipilot

I have a brand new phantom 2 with zenmuse h3-3d and have flown it several times and the video looked beautiful and smooth. Today I took it out, it's a little windy, and noticed parts of the video where I see jello-like effect. It is noticeable while hovering mostly, but not throughout the whole video. I will post a vid soon.
    Thanks!

2. laselvasurf

Yes, it will contribute to jello for sure. I get zero jello in no wind, with wind it's there if I push the copter.

3. ashleyg

Laselvasurf, what dampeners are you using, any rig jobs attached?, stock gains? Also do you use an nd filter?

Thanks

4. calipilot

Also a contributor is the sunlight shining down through the props, creating a vibrating effect.

Also noticed if I cranked the copter too quick the gimbal would be pushed to the max and spaz for a second which created heavy jello, hen went back, but think thesis may have residual effects on the gimbal during the same flight.

5. ElGuano

Yep, anything that shakes or unsettles the phantom can cause a vibration frequency that is captured by the rolling shutter of the GoPro in a way that causes jello.

6. nzvideoguys

I have the same P2 and H3-3D gimbal as you. Here's my recent footage in 35kmh winds. I'm using the stock white rubber balls. I'm quite staggered at how good the footage is. Sometimes I do see a little bit of jello, but usually there's none.

https://vimeo.com/92901989

7. Diesel31

QFT.

I had read another thread where someone had mentioned that they avoid flying during the brightest parts of the day because of the sunlight effect you described. I noticed it the other day when I filmed around 3 pm. It was subtle, but noticeable enough.

8. ElGuano

It's not just the brightest part of the day, it's angle between the sun, props, and camera lens. If they line up and your shutter speed is high enough, you get shadowing between and within frames, which look like tracking artifacts or horizontal bars/flickering.

You can fly in bright sunlight as long as you pay attention to which way your Phantom is facing when capturing the shot you want.

Bright sunlight can "cause" jello if it makes the higher shutter speed coincide with resonant frequency of vibration in the quad.

9. calipilot

I have experienced the sunlight through the props effect before with a F550 and was able to combat that designing a sunshade which extended out above the gimbal and blocked the light from the upper angle.

I am trying to figure the best way to get this on the Phantom 2. Either directly on the gopro or something that extends off the body of the phantom.

Any suggestions?

10. ElGuano

Right, read the quote I was responding too :) Not addressing rolling shutter at all.