Can wind cause jello?

Reaction score
I have a brand new phantom 2 with zenmuse h3-3d and have flown it several times and the video looked beautiful and smooth. Today I took it out, it's a little windy, and noticed parts of the video where I see jello-like effect. It is noticeable while hovering mostly, but not throughout the whole video. I will post a vid soon.
Thanks!

calipilot said:
I have a brand new phantom 2 with zenmuse h3-3d and have flown it several times and the video looked beautiful and smooth. Today I took it out, it's a little windy, and noticed parts of the video where I see jello-like effect. It is noticeable while hovering mostly, but not throughout the whole video. I will post a vid soon.
Thanks!

Yes, it will contribute to jello for sure. I get zero jello in no wind, with wind it's there if I push the copter.

Laselvasurf, what dampeners are you using, any rig jobs attached?, stock gains? Also do you use an nd filter?

Thanks

Also a contributor is the sunlight shining down through the props, creating a vibrating effect.

Also noticed if I cranked the copter too quick the gimbal would be pushed to the max and spaz for a second which created heavy jello, hen went back, but think thesis may have residual effects on the gimbal during the same flight.

Yep, anything that shakes or unsettles the phantom can cause a vibration frequency that is captured by the rolling shutter of the GoPro in a way that causes jello.

calipilot said:
Thanks!

I have the same P2 and H3-3D gimbal as you. Here's my recent footage in 35kmh winds. I'm using the stock white rubber balls. I'm quite staggered at how good the footage is. Sometimes I do see a little bit of jello, but usually there's none.

https://vimeo.com/92901989

calipilot said:
Also a contributor is the sunlight shining down through the props, creating a vibrating effect.

QFT.

I had read another thread where someone had mentioned that they avoid flying during the brightest parts of the day because of the sunlight effect you described. I noticed it the other day when I filmed around 3 pm. It was subtle, but noticeable enough.

Diesel31 said:
calipilot said:

QFT.

I had read another thread where someone had mentioned that they avoid flying during the brightest parts of the day because of the sunlight effect you described. I noticed it the other day when I filmed around 3 pm. It was subtle, but noticeable enough.

It's not just the brightest part of the day, it's angle between the sun, props, and camera lens. If they line up and your shutter speed is high enough, you get shadowing between and within frames, which look like tracking artifacts or horizontal bars/flickering.

You can fly in bright sunlight as long as you pay attention to which way your Phantom is facing when capturing the shot you want.

Bright sunlight can "cause" jello if it makes the higher shutter speed coincide with resonant frequency of vibration in the quad.

I have experienced the sunlight through the props effect before with a F550 and was able to combat that designing a sunshade which extended out above the gimbal and blocked the light from the upper angle.

I am trying to figure the best way to get this on the Phantom 2. Either directly on the gopro or something that extends off the body of the phantom.

Any suggestions?

PixelNinja said:
ElGuano said:
It's not just the brightest part of the day, it's angle between the sun, props, and camera lens. If they line up and your shutter speed is high enough, you get shadowing between and within frames, which look like tracking artifacts or horizontal bars/flickering.

To be clear here, what you are describing is in no way related to rolling shutter artifacts and CMOS sensors.

The flickering that you describe is merely the shadows of the props on the lens at certain times of the day when the lens is facing the sun.

$.01 worth of tape creates a nifty little hood that will eliminate the prop shadows.

Right, read the quote I was responding too :) Not addressing rolling shutter at all.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl