Can VRS happen with Return to Home?

Reaction score
I often take my Vision+ almost straight above me to get my shots, when I am done, I have been hitting the RTH Return To Home switch. So much easier than flying it home. It flies straight down and lands. But I have read so many times that you should always move forward or to the side a little as you descend, to avoid VRS. I am hoping that the RTH feature brings the copter in nice and slow, and I shouldn't be worrying about it. I have about 30 flights now. But am still nervous when I fly.

If your not using the prop guards I don't think VRS is an issue at all using 3.04 firmware because it only lets you descend so fast now. But side to side or circle patterns help with this.

OK. RTH is "return to home" got that one.

what is VRS? vertical return-something? forgive me!

nedro018 said:
OK. RTH is "return to home" got that one.

what is VRS? vertical return-something? forgive me!

Vortex Ring State - IE: prop wash

It could happen so keep your fingers ready when you see the VRS happen ( wobbling ).
But its unlikely that it ever happens because the speeds in the RTH are low.
VRS is especially a issue when having props guards and ( almost ) no wind conditions.
Today the bird was flying in almost 0 wind and on ATTI ( full speed ). Speeds are almost double then in RTH.
As it was almost home i suddenly released the forward control and saw it wobbling for some 2 or 3m and it stabilized itself due to i flicked on GPS and some sideway movement.
A noob wouldn't have seen it happening. But i am talking about extremes here.
A RTH is so gentle compared to GPS or ATTI that its almost impossible and i never experienced/seen a slightest wobbling in that mode.

Well there is always an odd person out and that is me, 3 days after purchase and 5 flights, RTH activated 120m straight above. No breeze at all, sunny and no objects anywhere, just a naked bird and her camera. At 60m she starts to oscilate (VRS) no matter what I did I could not get control back until about 2m from the ground and was able to slow the decent just enough to minimize the damage.

There was no physical damage to the bird that I could see, not even a scratch but when I powered up it did the gimbal dance. I called the hobby shop I bought the bird from and explained what happened, I took it in to the store, they examined it and sent it off for warranty repair.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31