Can this be fixed

Reaction score
notice the gap between the blue cover and the connector, shouldn't the connector also connect to the mesh under the blue cover..

Attachments

• 20150926_210640[1].jpg
    20150926_210640[1].jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 394
  • 20150926_210630[1].jpg
    20150926_210630[1].jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 383
Yep... broke.

Since late 2012, I have sold thousands of ARDrone Wheel Antenna Kits ( DroneMod.com ). I have each and every RF cable tested for Return Loss and SWR. Turns out about 1 or 2 per hundred have an issue from the manufacturing-fabrication source.
  • Its either the braided shield having inadequate crimp termination to the connector shell.
  • Or, the center conductor pin not properly crimped and/or positioned inside the connector shell.

Reactions: Extreme24
You need to have a new end soldered on. There are tutorials here if you search. If you are not confident doing it I would get someone to fix it for you. Did you buy it from the maker or just a random vendor?

it was given with a bird i bought off here, couldn't i wrap a small amount of wire mesh between the gap and apply solder to connect old mesh to the connector

well considering i think this is the reason i lost phantom, i will take your advice, hell i lost a 500 dollar drone seems over this 3 dollar part, didnt realize it was broken until after my drone flew away.

I doubt that would work well. You want a solid connection.
I agree.. if you can tolerate shortening your rf cable a bit, then put on a new connector. Look in to a proper pair of crimps if the connector she'll supports crimping.

Trying to solder the shield onto your current setup would require a lot of heat pumped into the connector shell and that heat would conduct into the braid and center conductor. All that heat could melt and distort the dialectic insulation possibly affecting performance.

I agree.. if you can tolerate shortening your rf cable a bit, then put on a new connector. Look in to a proper pair of crimps if the connector she'll supports crimping.

Trying to solder the shield onto your current setup would require a lot of heat pumped into the connector shell and that heat would conduct into the braid and center conductor. All that heat could melt and distort the dialectic insulation possibly affecting performance.

well put an order in on amazon,,, was about to try.... but its only a couple of dollars, bought 3.
Didn't even think about the heat distorting things, very good info... will post when they arrive

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub