Can the FC40 get FPV for 2 miles, 3.2 kilometers?

Reaction score
I would like to know how.

I've seen the "ultimate FC40 mod" and it's not for me.

Most of the FPV equipment is on 5.8 and that does not work with the FC40, so the easy solutions don't apply.

Here's what I'm thinking...

Transmitter: 2.4 g, 700 mw, cloverleaf antenna, pic A
Receiver: 10 db panel antenna with a Sky Hammer for close in, pic B

I've got no noise issues so I don't think the sky hammer will be adding confusion.

This is A

This is B

Serious replies will receive a serious response. Funny replies will probably receive a similar response. Serious replies that are funny will have my undivided attention.

I really want to see what's out there before I step foot over the edge.

Attachments

• SkyHammer.jpg
    SkyHammer.jpg
    439.1 KB · Views: 742
  • BlueBeamCloverleaf1.jpg
    BlueBeamCloverleaf1.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 657
LOLOLOLOLOL

I'm not sure if I'm funny enough this morning but I had a good laugh reading your post. And you're absolutely right! Humour is one of the most precious communication methods and we might be the only species in the universe who intentionally use it. Think about that, we might be searching for a way to reach the stars and other galaxies for hundreds of years, only to find that 'the others out there' are dead serious. Would be quite a bummer and probably the moment I will decide to quit space travelling at all, and put my Ford or Toyota IGSV (Inter Galactic Space Vehicle) on Ebay, and pick up my Phantom hobby again.

Anyhow, back to the other part of your topic:

3.2 Km should be possible but indeed it depends on the antennae. For greatest distance I guess you could place a Spiral antenna on the RX and keep that facing the quad. There are people reaching distances far beyond 3 km that way.

1.2Ghz or even 900MHz should be even better because of the longer wave form and penetration.
I picked this from the web:

• 900 Mhz :

Pros – Brilliant range, great penetration
    Cons – Illegal for use in the UK, band used by mobile phones

1.2 Ghz :

Pros – Great range, good penetration
    Cons – Illegal for use in the UK, band used by other sources

1.3 Ghz :

Pros – Good range, good penetration, very clear band
    Cons – Not legal for airborne use in the Uk

2.4 Ghz :

Pros – Good range, cheap equipment price, lots of none FPV equipment on the 2.4ghz band can be used with FPV equipment such as antennas
    Cons – Bad penetration properties, band used by other flyer’s, wifi equipment, bluetooth etc.

5.8 Ghz :

Pros – Good range, cheap equipment price, band very clean due to low amount of other users. with circular polarized antennas no loss in reception quality.
    Cons – Very poor penetration

It is 'a bit' UK biased, I'm afraid, (nothing wrong with that) (being afraid, that is) (not that the UK sucks or anything) (LOL), but you get the picture, the lower the frequency, the better the range will be.

Cheers for now,
Jan

I'm interested in adding FPV to my FC40 too so I will probably join you on your journey to the ultimate FPV solution. Christmas is around the corner and I always have trouble finding something to ask Santa (uhh, to give myself). Not this time baby.

Thanks Jan,

Lemme know when your IGSV hits the market, mine might need replacing at that time. ;)

Some folks "Down Under" have great numbers to report with the lower frequencies. I may just end up down there with them, so to speak.

If anyone wants to share their setup @ 2.4 ghz or lower, with distance info, it would be greatly appreciated.

is anyone on here using the 1.2? I hate the range/video quality of 5.8ghz, debating switching to 1.2

lvanek said:
is anyone on here using the 1.2? I hate the range/video quality of 5.8ghz, debating switching to 1.2

Hey Ivanek,

If I were you, I'd start a new topic on that. This isn't getting much attention. ;)

Haha i think i will! Nice picture of a horse, is it yours? have you tried filiming horses yet? i have 2 OTTB's i want to try filming running around but not sure how they will like the sound of the drone lol

This is mine FC40 with FPV @ 2.4GHz mod.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417712397.762353.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417712397.762353.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 568
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417712417.643604.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417712417.643604.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 585
lvanek said:
Haha i think i will! Nice picture of a horse, is it yours? have you tried filiming horses yet? i have 2 OTTB's i want to try filming running around but not sure how they will like the sound of the drone lol

Thanks, but nope, not my horse.

I'd be careful and introduce them to the machine a little at a time. :shock:
They might run through a fence thinking it's the biggest freaking mosquito they have ever seen. I stay away from the horses with it.

Thanks for sharing untaztood.

Have you flown out of range of your transmitter yet?
Looks as though you were trying to loose some weight by removing the case. Is that correct?

I'm curious how many MW is your transmitter?

Have you thought about adding iOSD to your package?

So many questions, what camera are you using? ;)

This is Go Pro 3 Hero White, with 500mW transmitter, and Gimbal Walkera.
Yesterday I order new antennas, and maybe tommorow I will test it.
fc40 has about 1km range in clear area.
I think, that FPV has simmilar coverage. I test it tommorow on the ground.

The case is original. I don't want iOSD, becouse it's difficult to connect it on Phantom 1. I had LiPo monitor with buzzer set at 3.6V per cell.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417772835.255066.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417772835.255066.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 558
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417800055.957991.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417800055.957991.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 516
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417800064.157138.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417800064.157138.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 525
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417800073.726576.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417800073.726576.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 521
That's the Boscam transmitter and receiver - correct ? The TS321 ?

Did you work out the range yet and what is picture quality like as you get out to the edge.
I have ordered exactly these items for my FC40 for Christmas :) Looking forward to playing.

Your not going to get 2 miles on the stock TX and RX. I tried long distance on my quads and planes, your always chasing something. Either you out fly your control, your video or battery. I was using 1.3 on my my F550, the farther away you go the more that can happen. With half way decent antennas on 5.8 you can get 1 mile with good video. If I need farther I'll put my quad in the car and drive there.

lvanek said:

What horse? Where? I didn't see no stinking horse!!

PhantomFanatic said:
lvanek said:

What horse? Where? I didn't see no stinking horse!!

You're funny, he's talking about my avatar.

IflyinWY said:
I would like to know how.

I've seen the "ultimate FC40 mod" and it's not for me.

Most of the FPV equipment is on 5.8 and that does not work with the FC40, so the easy solutions don't apply.

Hey iflyinWY ,

if the ultimate FC40 mod isn't for ya .. try my new FPV set up 3595m=11795ft with a solid signal .. i've just added the range test video .. check it out :)

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=30865

That's awesome IIVII. :D
Thanks for sharing.

I think I can see what direction I will go next.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31