Can someone fill me in of some flight time theory

Reaction score
Hard to phrase but ,it seems like there is some kind of ratio of " cargo capacity to duration of flight" Our P2's seem to do, say, 20 minutes at 1200 grams or 400 grams per hour if it is ok to express it that way, is this just a brick wall in general or is there obvious ways to increase flight time that is not occurring to me. I am sure there is some tweaks as DJI has not reached to the top shelf for components. Even if we grabbed the best batteries and the lightest airframes there would be a wall and how will we get past it, is the technology just not available for this hobby get to 40 minute and then 60 minute flight times. Is there a rule of thumb someone knows of ??

RIDETOEAT said:
I am sure there is some tweaks as DJI has not reached to the top shelf for components.

The Phantom is a pretty tidy package as it is.
The Phantom 2 was a breakthrough when released.
The 24 minute flight time was way ahead of anything else available.

More battery power = longer flight
But more battery power = more weight = less flight time.
There's a sweet spot where weight and flight time are optimum.
DJI have some very experienced designers and finding that sweet spot would have been the first thing they worked on.

To fly with bigger batteries, you need a bigger frame to swing bigger props to support the weight.
I've seen plans for a 650 size quad with slow rotating 17' props.
The designer believes it should get around 40 mins but its performance isn't going to be like that of a Phantom.

40 minutes/60 minutes in the air? Gee, I think the 18-20 I get is about all the time I want to spend "up" without a short break. Land, shut down, change batteries, take a slurp of pop, and fly again. Better.

I am just thinking about the commercialization of drones like Amazon floated the idea of possible package delivery vehicles.
Ya, I agree, as I have yet to stay up for 1 battery.

That's probably the biggest fact to point to when calling Amazon's drone delivery dream "BS", at this point, aside from the whole ATC issue. You're not going to get very far delivering books and products, with the current battery and motor technologies.

Amazon has always said it's drones are "several years off". But I honestly think it's even far longer than that, if at all, given how slowly batteries have evolved to get to the point they are now.

It would take some sort of mini fossil fuel to electric generation system to make it work.

Attach a weather balloon to your Phantom for extra lift, longer flight time. :)

If you attach enough, you might even fly a few hours. hehe.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj