Can RTH be turned off?

On my iPad when I was flying yesterday I got to my low battery RTH percentage and it gave me a countdown window from 10 seconds to cancel the RTH command

You can cancel the RTH within that 10-second window before it initiates, but there is no way to disable that feature right now.

I'm pretty sure based on the P2. I was flying it to drain the battery way down and when the warning came I canceled it since I was only a few feet off the ground. Plus my RTH is set for 100 Meters--that could spell disaster for low battery.

I'm pretty sure based on the P2. I was flying it to drain the battery way down and when the warning came I canceled it since I was only a few feet off the ground. Plus my RTH is set for 100 Meters--that could spell disaster for low battery.
If you're within 20 meters of the home point it doesn't climb if you command an RTH. It goes into auto land instead. I would expect the same behavior for a low battery RTH but I don't know for sure.

Thanks, was just wondering if it could be turned off in the settings. I don't have a P3 but I had a Phantom 2 with 3 axis gimbal and I could turn it on or off. This was before any App was used for flying and settings

If you're within 20 meters of the home point it doesn't climb if you command an RTH. It goes into auto land instead. I would expect the same behavior for a low battery RTH but I don't know for sure.

Good point. Same as Home Lock. The 20 meters thing that is.

I'm not sure this is true? Do you have a reference? This is how I lost my gimbal, foolishly initiating RTH from very close (<10m) without knowing of the RTH height settings. P3A promptly lifted to RTH height and into a tree! hehe

Not good. And somebody else mentioned RTH in context with indoor flying. Could be recipe for disaster. We need to put that in our pre-flight checklists. An indoor and outdoor.

I use RTH when I'm way out and lazy as to changing orientation. Or once I lost FPV and hit it and prayed. Once the Phantom was sighted, I took control.

Thanks much for commenting about this! I tried to demonstrate the RTH feature the other night and my Phantom started an auto-landing instead. I'm sure I was within 20 meters, so that's the explanation.

Chris

I'm not sure this is true? Do you have a reference? This is how I lost my gimbal, foolishly initiating RTH from very close (<10m) without knowing of the RTH height settings. P3A promptly lifted to RTH height and into a tree! hehe
I tested this a couple of weeks ago and posted about it. If I initiated RTH with distance showing 20.5 meters it climbed to the set height.

At 19.5 meters it descended. The voice in the iPad even said "Landing".

I haven't checked this since the the latest firmware and app updates. Could have changed but it's awfully easy to test it.

You didn't, by chance, land the P3 farther away, shut off the motors and take off again did you? The home point is reset to that new location when you do that.

Reactions: Rider82
I tested this a couple of weeks ago and posted about it. If I initiated RTH with distance showing 20.5 meters it climbed to the set height.

At 19.5 meters it descended. The voice in the iPad even said "Landing".

I haven't checked this since the the latest firmware and app updates. Could have changed but it's awfully easy to test it.

You didn't, by chance, land the P3 farther away, shut off the motors and take off again did you? The home point is reset to that new location when you do that.
Thanks Dadcat! Can't discount that kind of proof! Definitely didn't land anywhere else, was in the rear courtyard of a hotel. Will be back there in a few weeks, so am going to pace it out to verify :)

Thanks Dadcat! Can't discount that kind of proof! Definitely didn't land anywhere else, was in the rear courtyard of a hotel. Will be back there in a few weeks, so am going to pace it out to verify :)
It's the "D:xx.x" readout that matters. If it was me I'd let the Phantom tell me what it thinks the distance is.

I also don't know for sure if the behavior is the same for a low battery caused RTH. I don't have the patience to hover for several minutes at 19.5 and 20.5 meters from home to find that answer.

I guess I should have phrased it a different way. Can RTH be disabled completely?
Short answer: No

Longish answer:

There are three different RTH scenarios in the manual:

Smart RTH: Meaning you push a bottom on the controller or app to initiate it.

Failsafe: P3 loses its control signal. On the Vision+ this was essentially the same as "Smart". You don't want to disable this do you?

Low Battery RTH: P3 initiates RTH when it thinks you need to return home and land based on its calculation of time left on the battery and your distance from home. You could turn this off in the Phantom Assistant for the Vision but you can't in the Pilot app for the P3. I assume this is the RTH you want to disable. I did that on my P2V+

The DJI Pilot app only gives you the capability to select whether Failsafe causes a return to the home point or a landing right where it is.

Short answer: No

Longish answer:

There are three different RTH scenarios in the manual:

Smart RTH: Meaning you push a bottom on the controller or app to initiate it.

Failsafe: P3 loses its control signal. On the Vision+ this was essentially the same as "Smart". You don't want to disable this do you?

Low Battery RTH: P3 initiates RTH when it thinks you need to return home and land based on its calculation of time left on the battery and your distance from home. You could turn this off in the Phantom Assistant for the Vision but you can't in the Pilot app for the P3. I assume this is the RTH you want to disable. I did that on my P2V+

The DJI Pilot app only gives you the capability to select whether Failsafe causes a return to the home point or a landing right where it is.

I thought that the App lets you select the Percentage of Low battery left for RTH. Or am I remembering that wrong.

No. It's the dot with an "H" on the battery level indicator that shows at what point in the flight a "battery RTH" will be initiated. The "H" moves to the right the further the P3 gets from home point. It moves back to the left as you get closer. You can't adjust or turn this feature off. It's calculated on the fly.

To see this in action, just replay one of your Flight Records at 8x speed and watch it.

You can adjust the low battery and critical low battery percentages. Critical low battery being the one that forces a landing.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie