Can Phantom avoid collision?

Reaction score
Hi, pardon me if this is a stupid question from a newbie.
I just wonder in the case where Phantom is forced to fly back to its home via GPS (due to loss of TX signal or flat battery), what stops it from colliding into any objects/building/trees on its way back?
Or does it constantly record every single points of the trip and simply follows the trail back?

thanks.

Simple answer is luck.

when it enters failsafe mode it will pop up 20 metres (to try and give it a clear run). It will fly back directly to the recorded home point, but there's no guarantee it won't collide with anything (that's why you're supposed to fly it line of sight). Remember, if it hits anything. YOU are liable. All this stuff is in your manual. Research is your friend.

have fun flying.

Bmews

Think of the return to home features as spokes on a wheel. The Phantom knows where it is and where it started from, and takes a direct path to the home point.

We're flying the "Model-T's" of the consumer UAV's today. Collision avoidance is on the horizon.

I always select an open area for home point. I always try to not have anything between me and the Phantom when I fly. If you are flying under tree limbs or some structure and it enters failsafe, it will rise and crash into those items. The Phantom has no idea of what is in its flying area. It just wants to go home in a straight line.

i avoid using failsafe for this reason. no point of risking a crash that could have been avoided because i wanted to fly automatically home. failsafe is more like insurance. the more you use it the more your rates go up!
its just a meter a of time before it clips something.
if you're in an open field great!
flying away from obsticals and trees with a clear line of sight awesome!
Just be ready to flip ATTI in case their are monsters :shock:

Kelso Kubat said:
i avoid using failsafe for this reason. no point of risking a crash that could have been avoided because i wanted to fly automatically home. failsafe is more like insurance. the more you use it the more your rates go up!
its just a meter a of time before it clips something.
if you're in an open field great!
flying away from obsticals and trees with a clear line of sight awesome!
Just be ready to flip ATTI in case their are monsters :shock:

I saw an interesting video on YT that said if you happen to lose sight of your Phantom and start to panic, push the left stick up for about 10sec before activating failsafe/RTH. That way it will gain a heap of altitude before it comes home, high above everything

Probably at least two 'camps' on this one.

I personally would not purchase or use such a feature.

I like to fly and the more of this 'autonomy' beteween me and my a/c the less I am actually doing.

I'm glad its available for those who feel the need, but I'll pass.

If it is more that 20 meters up when Failsafe is activated, it will remain at that altitude on it's way home. So as long as you are higher than any obstacles, you are good to go.

Also, once it has waited long enough to decide to come home, it turns to face home. So you could then deactivate RTH and press the right stick away from you and it will come back to you. This might be preferable, especially if your batteries are low because it doesn't move as fast in failsafe as it does normally.

You could also use Home Lock mode, if activated in NAZA, but I have tried this when my quad was far away and couldn't tell if it was working or not.

If it loses GPS lock while it is far away, you are just screwed. It won't come back. If it inadvertently resets the home point (like if the switch goes bad and switches in and out of GPS mode several times), it will return to wherever it thinks home is and land there.

madsonp said:

I just put in my bid to be one of the first to receive when it goes live end of summer. They are a part of Aurora Flight Sciences Corporation and lead by some MIT graduates and apparently pretty brilliant people in their own right. This will be a legit product, just wonder what the price point will end up being?

I think that device would be fantastic! But my guess it will end up costing hundreds and hundreds of dollars! Mega bucks even...

It absolutely can avoid collision as long as the TX is strapped around the neck of an experienced pilot who is sober, not showing off and is paying complete attention to piloting the aircraft...

Other than that... No.

-slinger

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31