can people ban drones?

Reaction score
Recently bought my P3A. I love it. It seems that my neighbors do not however. Had it 3 days. I live in an apartment complex. So today one of the maintenance guys comes over and tells me the office told him to find the "drone person" and tell him to call us. I called and the office said that drones are "not allowed". I informed her that NJ law does not prohibit drones. She went on to say people were complaining because it had a camera and because of privacy reasons. I then told her I am an EMT, friends with a lot of police officers, and have spoken to them about the matter (I haven't really). At this point she just kept pushing how it is an invasion of privacy, I said well I am within my legal right to fly it so as long as you aren't saying your going to evict me then it is what it is. She said no we can't do that we just wanted you to know people are complaining.

So, can an apartment complex kick someone out for such a thing (is that legal). Can they make new rules and suddenly ban drones? Even though they are legal? I have no problem standing my ground, but if I get a letter saying drones are now banned do I have to abide?

Recently bought my P3A. I love it. It seems that my neighbors do not however. Had it 3 days. I live in an apartment complex. So today one of the maintenance guys comes over and tells me the office told him to find the "drone person" and tell him to call us. I called and the office said that drones are "not allowed". I informed her that NJ law does not prohibit drones. She went on to say people were complaining because it had a camera and because of privacy reasons. I then told her I am an EMT, friends with a lot of police officers, and have spoken to them about the matter (I haven't really). At this point she just kept pushing how it is an invasion of privacy, I said well I am within my legal right to fly it so as long as you aren't saying your going to evict me then it is what it is. She said no we can't do that we just wanted you to know people are complaining.

So, can an apartment complex kick someone out for such a thing (is that legal). Can they make new rules and suddenly ban drones? Even though they are legal? I have no problem standing my ground, but if I get a letter saying drones are now banned do I have to abide?
You are probably within your "rights." However, asserting them will probably lead to all of us having fewer. Is there anyway you can "accommodate" their concerns?

--zigs

You are probably within your "rights." However, asserting them will probably lead to all of us having fewer. Is there anyway you can "accommodate" their concerns?

--zigs

I get what your saying. I'm trying not to be rude about it, but when the first things I'm told us "you can't have that" it makes me already wanna be an *** about it. Its not like they said hey dont fly it low enough to see faces, or dont fly it over the school. People apparently don't like it because of the camera. So im not sure what I could do to accommodate. I already fly it way high enough so faces aren't even visible. I get the feeling people are going to keep complaining and they are going to make a b.s. rule about them. Not sure what else I can do other than just take off near my apt and keep it away until I land.

I bet there in nothing in your contract about flying drones. As long as your being safe. Far away from all people, cars, the apartments and others property I don't see a problem with it.

I get what your saying. I'm trying not to be rude about it, but when the first things I'm told us "you can't have that" it makes me already wanna be an *** about it. Its not like they said hey dont fly it low enough to see faces, or dont fly it over the school. People apparently don't like it because of the camera. So im not sure what I could do to accommodate. I already fly it way high enough so faces aren't even visible. I get the feeling people are going to keep complaining and they are going to make a b.s. rule about them. Not sure what else I can do other than just take off near my apt and keep it away until I land.
I don't think flying over people is a good idea. Sooner or later someone is going to get seriously hurt and our hobby will limited and not worth it. You are liable for your phantom, just keep that in mind.

Reactions: pchin2
I bet there in nothing in your contract about flying drones. As long as your being safe. Far away from all people, cars, the apartments and others property I don't see a problem with it.

there is DEFINETLY nothing about it in my lease. it makes me angry that they tried to tell me they're not allowed. I have never been the "let me cause a scene and stand up for my rights" person. But when I drop $1000 on a drone and cant use it I have a problem with that. Why are people so concerned with camera drones? 25 minutes battery life, i'm sorry but your life is not interesting enough for me to waste it on you.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
I don't think flying over people is a good idea. Sooner or later someone is going to get seriously hurt and our hobby will limited and not worth it. You are liable for your phantom, just keep that in mind.

what do you mean by "over people". I live in an urban suberb so I fly over streets and whatnot, i stay away from the major highways but there isn't open land around here really. But I usually cruise at 300-400 feet, so im not looking at people, more just the landscape.

there is DEFINETLY nothing about it in my lease. it makes me angry that they tried to tell me they're not allowed. I have never been the "let me cause a scene and stand up for my rights" person. But when I drop $1000 on a drone and cant use it I have a problem with that. Why are people so concerned with camera drones? 25 minutes battery life, i'm sorry but your life is not interesting enough for me to waste it on you.

I agree people over react. I have had multiple people tell me they will shoot it down if they see it. Which id like to see, most people can't hit a paper plate from 25 yards let alone a moving drone.

what do you mean by "over people". I live in an urban suberb so I fly over streets and whatnot, i stay away from the major highways but there isn't open land around here really. But I usually cruise at 300-400 feet, so im not looking at people, more just the landscape.
My bad, I was just assuming because you said you fly high enough so you can't see their faces.

You could keep flying it legally and they can not renew your lease when it comes around, also legal.
I would try to work it out with them before I burned all my bridges.

Reactions: Chris P Duck
You could keep flying it legally and they can not renew your lease when it comes around, also legal.
I would try to work it out with them before I burned all my bridges.

they can not renew my lease for a drone? how is it legal for them to do that if the drone is legal?

I agree people over react. I have had multiple people tell me they will shoot it down if they see it. Which id like to see, most people can't hit a paper plate from 25 yards let alone a moving drone.

ha, exactly! i'm still pretty shy with it so I wouldn't go anywhere remotely close enough to a person. one because its rude, and two because I am not used to the depth perception yet and feel like im going to hit a tree thats a quarter mile away. '

ha, exactly! i'm still pretty shy with it so I wouldn't go anywhere remotely close enough to a person. one because its rude, and two because I am not used to the depth perception yet and feel like im going to hit a tree thats a quarter mile away. '

They can not only not renew your lease but they can stop you from launching from the complex property. Be careful on how hard you push back as they may not know they hold the trump cards.

There are plenty of places to fly without flying at your apartment.. The best thing to do is keep a low profile and enjoy flying your P3. You will not be the winner here-- if you insist on fighting them-- even if it is "legal". Next thing, they will be complaining to police and then the township-- and yes the township can then pass ordinances that will prohibit flying in certain areas. Or they may already have privacy ordinances in effect.

Haha... I'm sure everyone in your complex has a cellphone with a camera on it. Is that invasion of privacy if they use it outside their homes? Flying overhead is harmless. I don't get why people cry so much when there are satellites orbiting the earth.

The sad fact of the matter is, most people will take the view that's fed them through the media. Like it or not, that's the way it is. Go to the country. Go to the park. Go anywhere else. Just don't fly over or near the apartment complex. Yes, it sucks. Deal with it.

Reactions: BigKenny
I have often been asked not to shoot video or take pictures in certain locations. I have worked as a photographer and video shooter since the 70's.

I always back off and try to reason with authorities, often you can disarm a complaint just by being polite and friendly and explaining what you are doing and how the MR works.

The last 5 years I have added MRs to my selection of tools/toys and I have been asked both by police officers and private citizens not to use the MR in places and I always comply even if they don't have a legal standing, and maybe they do, you just did not know.

We have to be diplomatic with this hobby or we will loose our rights to fly in more locations. Some people are very paranoid about privacy and you can't change that. You can only make it worse by arguing with them.

they can not renew my lease for a drone? how is it legal for them to do that if the drone is legal?
They can find that they have to take your apartment out of service for remodelling at the end of your lease term, forcing you to move.
Oops, they don't have another unit available, sorry but you have to find another building to live in.

Reactions: hamptodm

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj