Can One Fly Inside A Metal Warehouse?

Reaction score
My neighbor has a empty 50,000 square warehouse he has offered up for us locals to meet and practice in during bad weather. Will GPS work through the metal roof and can one fly a DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ inside?
Thanks...

Utopia Texas said:
My neighbor has a empty 50,000 square warehouse he has offered up for us locals to meet and practice in during bad weather. Will GPS work through the metal roof and can one fly a DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ inside?
Thanks...

According to this youtube video, it might be possible, but bear in mind this warehouse had lots of openings in the walls that could help with a GPS lock. I'll spare you some pain, skip to around minute 16 or 17.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUlspY7fZ0s[/youtube],

Even without GPS, you should be able to fly as there would be no breeze to push the bird around.

It would be just like flying out in the open with no wind and no GPS.

480sparky said:

It would be similar, but I think there would be inertial drift without a GPS lock, causing it to keep drifting in the same direction for a while even after you stop moving it with the remote. With GPS, when you stop sending movement commands from the remote control, the phantom stops at the lat/long of its current GPS position.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

houstonpilot said:
480sparky said:

It would be similar, but I think there would be inertial drift without a GPS lock, causing it to keep drifting in the same direction for a while even after you stop moving it with the remote. With GPS, when you stop movement commands from the remote control, the phantom stops at the lat/long of its current GPS position.

+1 it would continue with inertial movement until you command it to stop or "friction" stopped it (friction just being air OR a wall :) )

one of my first flights was inside my 40/60 pole barn, which has steel siding on the outside
and inside walls. the phantom flew in atti mode, (i have not switched out of phantom mode)
and the only issue i had was the dust being kicked up by the rotor wash, so i didn't fly long.

the grandson was getting a kick out of it though!

http://youtu.be/u_qb2q-uW7o?list=UUgIAT ... 0NshhCv5eA

As above, fly ATTI. You don't want it shooting up to the roof should Return Home kick in!

Fly in atti but practice in the middle first.
It is a very different feeling than in GPS. Do not fly fast until you get the hang of it.

CVqx3zEl.jpg

Yeah, but put the switch into atti becuase if it were to find satellites (it happens after many minutes sometimes), the Phantom could go crazy and want to fly somewhere you don't want it to.

It holds the height, but any side movement makes it drift.
Ie. You slightly tap left and let go, it keeps going, slowly, but long.
There's a lot more work keeping it where you want it and realising the orientation so you don't mess up and send it the wrong direction.
Keep all doors and windows closed if possible so there's no air drifts coming through.

DO NOT get close (within 5 feet I've read) to the ceiling or walls.

houstonpilot said:
480sparky said:

It would be similar, but I think there would be inertial drift without a GPS lock, causing it to keep drifting in the same direction for a while even after you stop moving it with the remote. With GPS, when you stop sending movement commands from the remote control, the phantom stops at the lat/long of its current GPS position.

Is that not the same as flying outside, with no wind and no GPS?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20