Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Professional Can not calibrate compass???

Discussion in 'Phantom 3 Help' started by Bobby Moore, May 10, 2016.

1. Bobby Moore

I have a P3P.. I can not get the compass to calibrate.. I've flown in this location at least 25-30 times with no issue... Every time I try I get the message "intense electromagnetic interference nearby, ensure no magnets or metal objects are near the compass and keep the aircraft 1 meter above ground for recalibration".....

Is it possible that the compass has gone bad? I bought a new landing gear with the new compass and it's still doing the same thing....
    What else could it be???

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

2. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Look in the sensors section of the app settings to see your compass data.
    It should look something like this:
    [​IMG]
    If the compass section has numbers in it, you should be able to calibrate in a magnetically clean area.
    But if you just have zero showing, the problem is that your compass is disconnected and will never calibrate.
    Just a guess but the fine compass cable might have been broken when you clipped the Lightbridge antenna over it?

3. Bobby Moore

I checked and it does have numbers in it...... I'm in the process of doing a IMU Calibration... I guess let's see what that does... I also will try a different location....

4. Bobby Moore

No I made a mistake... I have numbers in Gyro and Acceleration boxes but none in the Compass boxes.... I checked the compass cable and it's fine.... Is it possible that the main board could have gone bad? Is there anyway to check it?

5. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Did you take the cover plate off the compass to check where the cables are soldered?
    If you have zero in the compass data, either the compass is busted (unlikely) or it's not connected.
    If the fine cable is intact at the compass end, it could be that it isn't properly seated in the connection on the main board?
    Unfortunately that requires opening the shell and that's a real pain.

6. WDTmatt

I have the same problem, however I can see where my crash has broken the compass connector away from the board. Does anyone have a schematic for the compass connector? We ordered a new connector and want to make sure the connections are correct!

Appreciate any help.

#6 WDTmatt, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016