Can non-US flyers register drones?

Reaction score
Can a visitor to the US register their drone and then fly while visiting or on vacation in the USA?

No, but you are free to buy as many guns as you want here.

j/k

I think it's going to take them a while to work all the details out on these new rules. Case in point: Colorado legalized recreational marajuana use, but then took a year or two just to work all the details out before it went into effect. I'm not saying this will take that long but they're going to find out the hard way (in court) that there are still a lot of questions to get cleared up. And they're going to be walking on eggshells till that happens.

Reactions: David Dorman
Here's the real answer.

UAS Registration Q&A

Q. Who is required to register on the new online UAS registration website?

A. Only individual recreational or hobby users who meet U.S. citizenship requirements are able to register their unmanned aircraft using this new streamlined web-based process. This new, faster and easier system will be available for other UAS owners soon.

Q. Who must continue to register unmanned aircraft using the current paper-based Aircraft Registration System?

A. Any types of entities other than individual hobbyists (corporations, co-ownerships, partnerships, non-citizen corporations, and government), any small unmanned aircraft operating commercially or for reasons other than recreational or hobby, anyone wanting to operate outside the U.S., anyone with a UAS weighing 55 pounds or more and anyone wanting to record a lease or security interest must continue to register under the paper-based system at this time.

Q. Is there a citizenship requirement?

A. Only United States citizens can register their small UAS. The certificate serves as a certificate of ownership for non-citizens, not a registration certificate.

Q. Why does the certificate I received constitute recognition of registration for US citizens and permanent residents, but only recognition of ownership for foreign nationals? Have I complied with the requirement to register?

A. All users can submit information to the UAS registry; however, the law only permits the FAA to register aircraft belonging to United States citizens and permanent residents. For all others, the certificate received from the registry comprises a recognition of ownership, rather than a registration. Foreign nationals who have completed the recognition of ownership process and wish to receive a rebate for the $5 registration fee may contact the FAA. Nonetheless, all users are encouraged to submit their information and mark their UAS. This will facilitate the recovery of the UAS, should it be lost or stolen.

Thanks barefootbeachcombing. Doesn't seem like good news for us non-residents, it seems to indicate that since it does not register our UAS we can't fly when we are in your country. Do you read it that way?

Thanks barefootbeachcombing. Doesn't seem like good news for us non-residents, it seems to indicate that since it does not register our UAS we can't fly when we are in your country. Do you read it that way?
You need to read this section again:
All users can submit information to the UAS registry; however, the law only permits the FAA to register aircraft belonging to United States citizens and permanent residents. For all others, the certificate received from the registry comprises a recognition of ownership, rather than a registration. Foreign nationals who have completed the recognition of ownership process and wish to receive a rebate for the $5 registration fee may contact the FAA. Nonetheless, all users are encouraged to submit their information and mark their UAS. This will facilitate the recovery of the UAS, should it be lost or stolen.

You need to read this section again:
All users can submit information to the UAS registry; however, the law only permits the FAA to register aircraft belonging to United States citizens and permanent residents. For all others, the certificate received from the registry comprises a recognition of ownership, rather than a registration. Foreign nationals who have completed the recognition of ownership process and wish to receive a rebate for the $5 registration fee may contact the FAA. Nonetheless, all users are encouraged to submit their information and mark their UAS. This will facilitate the recovery of the UAS, should it be lost or stolen.
Meta4, I reread this and I think you are suggesting that I can fly but my certificate is not in the data base of registered users, simply allows me to prove I own it in case of loss. Seems fair to me.

Meta4, I reread this and I think you are suggesting that I can fly but my certificate is not in the data base of registered users, simply allows me to prove I own it in case of loss. Seems fair to me.
Read it again.
Why would they take $$ from foreign nationals - and not let them fly??
If they wanted to keep you grounded, that would have been made clear.
There's a technicality .. the law only permits the FAA to register aircraft belonging to United States citizens and permanent residents. For all others, the certificate received from the registry comprises a recognition of ownership, rather than a registration.
The law (from back before this new stuff was dreamed of) doesn't allow the FAA to register foreign aircraft.
You can "register",
get your certificate and even a refund and fly to your heart's content.

I would hope the FAA uses a screening approach to forward suspect flyers to appropriate investigative authorities.

I would hope the FAA uses a screening approach to forward suspect flyers to appropriate investigative authorities.
Let me add that they should investigate suspicious registrations quickly. But think about it: Would someone planning a bad act register? They would have to be the dumbest or smartest able to hide in plain sight even after an investigation.

Foreign country registrations. Addresses that do not match real locations. Anything out of the ordinary.

Read it again.
Why would they take $$ from foreign nationals - and not let them fly??
If they wanted to keep you grounded, that would have been made clear.
There's a technicality .. the law only permits the FAA to register aircraft belonging to United States citizens and permanent residents. For all others, the certificate received from the registry comprises a recognition of ownership, rather than a registration.
The law (from back before this new stuff was dreamed of) doesn't allow the FAA to register foreign aircraft.
You can "register",
get your certificate and even a refund and fly to your heart's content.
That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. It's good news that I can still bring P3P when we visit your country!

Was anyone successful to get a registration to fly for hobby as NON-US citizen?

Is it even possible to get 333 exemption to fly commercially as NON-US citizen?

I have not registered my drone in the US as yet. It is possible to do so, just not from their website at the present time. They have told me that eventually they will make it possibble.

Here is the most recent communication I have from them on this issue. I received it on Feb.15/16. They may have fixed their site by now, I haven't checked recently.

"In order to use the online registration platform, you must be located within the U.S. or its territories or possessions.

At this time, the registration system cannot accept foreign addresses, although it is expected to in the future. For the next several weeks, a person with a United States address must register the small unmanned aircraft on your behalf and provide their address and payment information. The FAA will assume a bailment agreement exists between you and that person in this instance, as referenced in 14 CFR 48.25.

Please visit www.faa.gov/uas/registration for more information.

U.S. Department of Transportation

Federal Aviation Administration

800 Independence Avenue, SW

Washington, DC 20591"

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl