Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Can I Zoom In On Camera??

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by kevincam93, Sep 28, 2015.

1. kevincam93

Anyone Help Me There A Way I Can Zoom In On My Phanthom 3 Advanced When I'm
    flying My Drone

2. Othan1

No. Otherwise, I'd have some awesome shots of rabbits around their burrows and their young interacting. Same with some cool gopher shots but they scatter when the quad gets within range of a better shot.

3. PCMacDr

No, only in Editing app, like Premiere

4. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Push the right stick forward

5. Simonb3526

Lol.

[​IMG]

6. StumbleBee

Watch for zoom on the P4P. It's the logical next step. Probably be digital zoom as this would require only a software tweak, but that would effectively be the end of 4K video and ultra hi-res photos.

bobmyers likes this.
  7. Skywalker

Adding zoom capability would drastically exaggerate the vibration of the aircraft.

I doubt you'd like the results from your tripod in the sky.

8. RedHotPoker

Yes, but no. You could effectivly zoom to your desired magnification, before take off. Then simply Leave it set. Very basic.

RedHotPoker

9. Skywalker

Perhaps I wasn't specific enough. The longer the focal length, the more sensitive it is to lens movement/vibration. (That's why long lenses need sturdy tripods.) Vibration/movement of the drone itself would degrade the image. The more you zoom in, the more that vibration will blur the image.

Big Dave likes this.
  10. RedHotPoker

Yes. Thankfully, the expensive Nikkor glass on my Nikon D800 has tiny motors to compensate for any lens shake. ;-)
    Even a button setting for while traveling in high speed autos or other moving craft.

RedHotPoker

11. WetDog

Those VR motors are basically doing what the gimbal dose. But smaller. I'd love to be able to switch lenses optically, but that involves a whole bunch more stuff on the camera (a mount and the ability to focus automatically). You could imagine a swap out lens (like for GoPro's) but I kinda think that the current gimbal technology can't push much more resolution. Maybe with some more tweaking....

Anybody have an idea how much better the inspire camera / gimbal system is (hides credit card balance from wife).

12. WetDog

What you would really do is limit the envelope where you could get sharp images. You have to use a faster shutter speed which means either a bigger lens - and you have little leeway to add weight and disrupt balance on a Phantom) or a faster ISO. The P3 camera is competent, but is not a high ISO queen by any stretch.

13. RedHotPoker

The Inspire 1 Pro model has a ridiculous awesome camera.
    What a joy, flying one of those, it would be for me. ;-)

RedHotPoker

14. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

The Inspire's original camera, the X3 is the same camera you get on a P3 Adv or Pro.
    The recently released X5 camera is good with full aperture control, interchangeable lenses and a bigger sensor but the price is weight.
    The weight of the X5 eats battery life + it's a lot more $$ you're putting at risk every time you fly.
    The P3 isn't perfect ... but it's a pretty good compromise.

15. Chuck Young

Zoom requires either glass=weight or huge pixel count. That is about it. The new ARGUS has 1.8 Gigapixel camera so it can digital zoom with clarity.

16. WetDog

I'd agree with the balance of cost and performance. DJI hit it about right. If they just can keep the stupid things in the air a bit more consistently.....

I'm still bumping up against photographic quality. What I want to do is to get quality similar to my DSLR rig - but that would cost quite a bit more than I'm willing to part with.

17. RedHotPoker

Yes, exponentially more... Hahaha

RedHotPoker

18. Dirty Bird

Not being flip here but just fly closer to your subject. There is no optical or mechanical zoom other than that.

19. Chuck Young

Exponentially more expensive!

LOL

20. WetDog

That wasn't nice. Actually, if I was going to spend that kind of money, I'd just get a commercial gimbal system and spend the money to put it on the DeHavilland Beaver that I'm part owner of. When we looked at it last year it was about $70K installed and verified. Had some people interested in renting the rig / plane that way but we decided it was too much of a hassle to put on and off all of the time as the plane is typically used for a commercial (bush) airline.

That way I'd have a real pilot, real altitude and a lot of expensive footage that I wouldn't really know what to do with....