Can I Zoom In On Camera??

Reaction score
Anyone Help Me There A Way I Can Zoom In On My Phanthom 3 Advanced When I'm
flying My Drone

No. Otherwise, I'd have some awesome shots of rabbits around their burrows and their young interacting. Same with some cool gopher shots but they scatter when the quad gets within range of a better shot.

Push the right stick forward

Lol.

crwdc.gif

Watch for zoom on the P4P. It's the logical next step. Probably be digital zoom as this would require only a software tweak, but that would effectively be the end of 4K video and ultra hi-res photos.

Reactions: bobmyers
Adding zoom capability would drastically exaggerate the vibration of the aircraft.

I doubt you'd like the results from your tripod in the sky.

Yes, but no. You could effectivly zoom to your desired magnification, before take off. Then simply Leave it set. Very basic.

RedHotPoker

Perhaps I wasn't specific enough. The longer the focal length, the more sensitive it is to lens movement/vibration. (That's why long lenses need sturdy tripods.) Vibration/movement of the drone itself would degrade the image. The more you zoom in, the more that vibration will blur the image.

Reactions: Big Dave
Yes. Thankfully, the expensive Nikkor glass on my Nikon D800 has tiny motors to compensate for any lens shake. ;-)
Even a button setting for while traveling in high speed autos or other moving craft.

RedHotPoker

Yes. Thankfully, the expensive Nikkor glass on my Nikon D800 has tiny motors to compensate for any lens shake. ;-)
Even a button setting for while traveling in high speed autos or other moving craft.

RedHotPoker
Those VR motors are basically doing what the gimbal dose. But smaller. I'd love to be able to switch lenses optically, but that involves a whole bunch more stuff on the camera (a mount and the ability to focus automatically). You could imagine a swap out lens (like for GoPro's) but I kinda think that the current gimbal technology can't push much more resolution. Maybe with some more tweaking....

Anybody have an idea how much better the inspire camera / gimbal system is (hides credit card balance from wife).

Perhaps I wasn't specific enough. The longer the focal length, the more sensitive it is to lens movement/vibration. (That's why long lenses need sturdy tripods.) Vibration/movement of the drone itself would degrade the image. The more you zoom in, the more that vibration will blur the image.
What you would really do is limit the envelope where you could get sharp images. You have to use a faster shutter speed which means either a bigger lens - and you have little leeway to add weight and disrupt balance on a Phantom) or a faster ISO. The P3 camera is competent, but is not a high ISO queen by any stretch.

Those VR motors are basically doing what the gimbal dose. But smaller. I'd love to be able to switch lenses optically, but that involves a whole bunch more stuff on the camera (a mount and the ability to focus automatically). You could imagine a swap out lens (like for GoPro's) but I kinda think that the current gimbal technology can't push much more resolution. Maybe with some more tweaking....

Anybody have an idea how much better the inspire camera / gimbal system is (hides credit card balance from wife).
The Inspire 1 Pro model has a ridiculous awesome camera.
What a joy, flying one of those, it would be for me. ;-)

RedHotPoker

The Inspire's original camera, the X3 is the same camera you get on a P3 Adv or Pro.
The recently released X5 camera is good with full aperture control, interchangeable lenses and a bigger sensor but the price is weight.
The weight of the X5 eats battery life + it's a lot more $$ you're putting at risk every time you fly.
The P3 isn't perfect ... but it's a pretty good compromise.

Zoom requires either glass=weight or huge pixel count. That is about it. The new ARGUS has 1.8 Gigapixel camera so it can digital zoom with clarity.

The Inspire's original camera, the X3 is the same camera you get on a P3 Adv or Pro.
The recently released X5 camera is good with full aperture control, interchangeable lenses and a bigger sensor but the price is weight.
The weight of the X5 eats battery life + it's a lot more $$ you're putting at risk every time you fly.
The P3 isn't perfect ... but it's a pretty good compromise.
I'd agree with the balance of cost and performance. DJI hit it about right. If they just can keep the stupid things in the air a bit more consistently.....

I'm still bumping up against photographic quality. What I want to do is to get quality similar to my DSLR rig - but that would cost quite a bit more than I'm willing to part with.

Yes, exponentially more... Hahaha
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

RedHotPoker

Yes, exponentially more... Hahaha
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

RedHotPoker
That wasn't nice. Actually, if I was going to spend that kind of money, I'd just get a commercial gimbal system and spend the money to put it on the DeHavilland Beaver that I'm part owner of. When we looked at it last year it was about $70K installed and verified. Had some people interested in renting the rig / plane that way but we decided it was too much of a hassle to put on and off all of the time as the plane is typically used for a commercial (bush) airline.

That way I'd have a real pilot, real altitude and a lot of expensive footage that I wouldn't really know what to do with....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.