Can I use wifi

Reaction score
Can I use wifi on a GoPro 4. I have a phantom1.1.1 with 5.8 GHz. I have read that it's ok to turn the wifi on the camera on. Someone else said don't do it. It will interfere with the transmitter. What are the facts? Thanks.

Captain Obvious said:
Many people find the manual to be very helpful. The manual lets you learn all kinds of wonderful things about your Phantom.

Things like:

~It operates at 2.4Ghz not 5.8Ghz.
~DJI warns you not to use the wifi on your GoPro.

well.. your name fits... but the OP said they have a 5.8 Ghz version phantom 1 ver 1.1 - which seems actually DOES exist -

It's not as usual - but I found several by googling it... including a used one for sale

So - I'll choose to believe the OP and say if that is the case - using the gopro wifi should be ok... as shown on this advertisement (for a phantom 1 version 2 - so double check you are correct about the frequency)

http://www.helipal.com/dji-phantom-gps-drone-rtf.html

5.8Ghz Dual Antenna

The latest Phantom 1 V2.0 is using 5.8Ghz RC Controller, this gives stronger Anti-Jamming capability and 5.8Ghz will NOT jam GoPro's Wi-Fi signal, less jamming means safer flight and smooth GoPro Wi-Fi video feeds.

low&slow said:
Can I use wifi on a GoPro 4. I have a phantom1.1.1 with 5.8 GHz. I have read that it's ok to turn the wifi on the camera on. Someone else said don't do it. It will interfere with the transmitter. What are the facts? Thanks.

IF you are certain your control (Transmitter's output) is on 5.8GHZ, then there is no problem. I haven't really looked into the WiFi output of my Hero as its WiFi output is the same as my control frequency. But, I assume, at the very minimum, that you will need a high gain antenna on both ends.

Most importantly, Welcome to the forum and our family!!

This is why I asked. Turns out it is 2.4. I thought all the new ones were 5.8. Looked all over the box and in the manual, finally found it on the back of the controller. Thanks guys.

Captain Obvious said:
Buckaye said:
well.. your name fits... but the OP said they have a 5.8 Ghz version phantom 1 ver 1.1 - which seems actually DOES exist -

It's not as usual - but I found several by googling it... including a used one for sale

So - I'll choose to believe the OP and say if that is the case - using the gopro wifi should be ok... as shown on this advertisement (for a phantom 1 version 2 - so double check you are correct about the frequency)

http://www.helipal.com/dji-phantom-gps-drone-rtf.html

5.8Ghz Dual Antenna

The latest Phantom 1 V2.0 is using 5.8Ghz RC Controller, this gives stronger Anti-Jamming capability and 5.8Ghz will NOT jam GoPro's Wi-Fi signal, less jamming means safer flight and smooth GoPro Wi-Fi video feeds.

The 5.8GHz TX/RX "Phantom 1" is called the FC40.

Phantom 1.1.1:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... mount.html
http://www.dronefly.com/product-p/dji-phantom.htm
etc.
etc.

OP glad you figured it out :) Good luck...

CaptainObvious: That is not correct -first check out the link which clearly refers to the 5.8 as a Phantom 1

second read this which describes the difference... which has to do with the added camera rather than the frequency:

http://www.droneflyers.com/2014/09/dji- ... sts-guide/

Captain Obvious said:
You are still very confused. The FC40 is the P1 variant with 5.8Ghz controls that uses standard RC batteries vs. proprietary DJI batteries.

I would suggest that you actually go to DJI's website rather than frantically Googling to try to prove something that is false.

The manufacturer does not list a Phantom 1.1.1 with 5.8 Ghz TX/RX so why are you clinging to that fantasy?

The 5.8GHz TX/RX "Phantom 1" is called the FC40.

what a great suggestion FOR YOU - here is the DJI website listing - interesting... the FC40 is named after the camera... hmmmmmmm

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_98 Jan. 20 09.09.jpg
    ScreenHunter_98 Jan. 20 09.09.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 389
I thought the 5.8GHz R/C started with the Vision?

The whole Phantom line suffers from an amazingly confusing series of model numbers and names. Throw in version and gimbal variations and you have a matrix puzzle that would challenge Neo.
Anyway, the R/C controller frequency is on the required FCC label on the bottom of the controller. If it says 2GHz, then you cannot use your WiFi camera. WiFi If it says 5.8GHz then your WiFi camera probably won't interfere.

Probably?

The problem with using a WiFi camera on the Phantom is that the R/C controller may use the same frequency band, and as your phantom flies further from the R/C controller, the signal gets weaker until the receiver in the Phantom can't hear it over the loudness of the WiFi coming from the camera on the Phantom. It's like having someone next to you (you're the Phantom) talking quite loudly (the WiFi camera) while you are trying in vain to hear someone across the room (the R/C controller) giving you instructions in a normal voice level. While both conversations aren't taking place at the same exact moment (frequency hopping), the conversation next to your ear is so loud that your ears are ringing (desense) and you can't hear the instructions at all for a few seconds (failsafe).

The reason for the blanket "no camera WiFi" ban is simple. WiFi can use either or in some equipment, both 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz bands.

Here's the problem:
WiFi protocol 802.11-1997 used the 2.4GHz band, 802.11-a used the 5 GHz band. The 802.11 Working Group hasn't rested. 802.11-1, b, g, n, and ax all use the 2.4GHz band. 802.11-a, n, ac, and ax use the 5GHz band. If you look at the matrix, 802.11n and 802.11-ax use both bands. Confused? There's more. 802.11-a also used the 3.7GHz band, 802.11-ad is at 60GHz, 802.11-ah is down at 900MHz, and finally 802.11-ax uses both 45GHz and 60GHz.

But wait, there's more. Soon to be released is 802.11-af which will use the unused TV VHF spectrum (mostly 700-800 MHz) recently vacated when almost all terrestrial TV broadcast moving to UHF Digital channels. Once called "Super Wi-Fi" by the FCC but quickly shot down because "Wi-Fi" is trademarked by the Wi-Fi Alliance and 802.11-af is not based on the existing Wi-Fi technology. Google fixed that by calling it "Super WiFi" without the hyphen.

802.11-af is where I would like to see our R/C controller links go for two reasons. First, there would be no conflict with Wi-Fi cameras, and second, it is expected to have 1Km range. Better yet, it's a LAN protocol so by design, 902.11-af devices can be networked giving up to 100Km range.

TMI?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers