Can I use DJI Pilot 1.x for older Android RAZR w/ HDMI out??

Reaction score
I am a new P3A owner. I want to try and use my old Android RAZR phone that has HDMI out (so I can use goggles too) but it does not play well with DJI GO app. I have been using my daughters iPad mini for FPV screen and it works great except for horrible daylight visibility of course. I have flown about 15 times with no complaints. I have also used my Samsung S4 phone and it also seems to work well but the screen is small. I WANT to try and use my old Droid RAZR that is not my phone and won't be getting calls and then I will also have HDMI out since it has a dedicated HDMI mini plug on it. This phone was running Android 4.1.2 which is compatible with DJI GO but this phone is not. It never goes into camera view and crashes, etc. I have tried to modify the phone to be a dedicated portal for my P3 so I rooted the phone and loaded Cyanogenmod 12.1 (Android 5.1) on it and then loaded the minimal google apps. I have tried a few various things and I am real close to getting some joy. I found the .APK files for DJI Pilot 1.1 and DJI Pilot 1.2. I also have DJI GO 2.4.3 and DJI GO 2.5.0.

This is the best I have gotten to work so far. I went back stock RAZR 4.1.2 but loaded DJI Pilot 1.1 instead of DJI GO and it works. I can finally see the video, etc. BUT it always says "Weak Transmission Signal" and there is no telemetry connection between the app and the quad. It shows no battery, no video signal, no fly signal etc. I can work the camera side to side by moving the stick but gimbal control is dead of course. Is it that DJI Pilot 1.1 won't work with the P3A now? Once again I am only using old software to make my older phone compatible. One thing I do have to say is that the video latency was actually better than ever, I just have NO control from the app to the quad. I was thinking of deleting the stock Google services and then load a bare bones Google apps package to avoid the whole Google service issues. Once again I have no sim card and this is not being used as a phone anymore. It does have wifi so I can preload maps etc., if I need to. Any ideas??

I am a new P3A owner. I want to try and use my old Android RAZR phone that has HDMI out (so I can use goggles too) but it does not play well with DJI GO app. I have been using my daughters iPad mini for FPV screen and it works great except for horrible daylight visibility of course. I have flown about 15 times with no complaints. I have also used my Samsung S4 phone and it also seems to work well but the screen is small. I WANT to try and use my old Droid RAZR that is not my phone and won't be getting calls and then I will also have HDMI out since it has a dedicated HDMI mini plug on it. This phone was running Android 4.1.2 which is compatible with DJI GO but this phone is not. It never goes into camera view and crashes, etc. I have tried to modify the phone to be a dedicated portal for my P3 so I rooted the phone and loaded Cyanogenmod 12.1 (Android 5.1) on it and then loaded the minimal google apps. I have tried a few various things and I am real close to getting some joy. I found the .APK files for DJI Pilot 1.1 and DJI Pilot 1.2. I also have DJI GO 2.4.3 and DJI GO 2.5.0.

This is the best I have gotten to work so far. I went back stock RAZR 4.1.2 but loaded DJI Pilot 1.1 instead of DJI GO and it works. I can finally see the video, etc. BUT it always says "Weak Transmission Signal" and there is no telemetry connection between the app and the quad. It shows no battery, no video signal, no fly signal etc. I can work the camera side to side by moving the stick but gimbal control is dead of course. Is it that DJI Pilot 1.1 won't work with the P3A now? Once again I am only using old software to make my older phone compatible. One thing I do have to say is that the video latency was actually better than ever, I just have NO control from the app to the quad. I was thinking of deleting the stock Google services and then load a bare bones Google apps package to avoid the whole Google service issues. Once again I have no sim card and this is not being used as a phone anymore. It does have wifi so I can preload maps etc., if I need to. Any ideas??
The old Pilot app is not compatible w/ the firmware on your RC and bird. The only way what you are proposing will work is if you flash 1.1.9 or earlier on your controller/bird, which as of now is not possible. Even if you were to get it to work, that phone is sorely underpowered and is going to lag, eventually.

I guess I see your point. I will just use this phone as my KODI media server. Some of these older phones are still powerful little devices. There is just something about the RAZR that makes it not work well with DJI. I just bought Litchi and have VR FPV (via Google Cardboard) which is the main thing I wanted a phone with HDMI out for. I may just find a cheap tablet for additional HDMI out. If I buy the part from DJI it will cost as much as a tablet. Plus I am sure it would be on sale for $49.00 the week after I bought it. :)

I was trying to avoid buying a $99 HDMI port. I will probably just get a $100 Android tablet with a HDMI out port. That is the main thing I liked about the RAZR phone but I see now it is not going to work.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj