Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Can i use a Polarizer and ND at the same time?

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Miguel Silva, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Miguel Silva

PhantomFilters likes this.
  2. Stephan

strictly it will act like another ND filter, if it is a circular polarizor, it will need to be turned to make the polarized effect work. A polarizor cuts light of a certain wavelength. An ND just block some light

3. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

The polarising filter needs to be used carefully.
    You need to rotate it to align with the position of the sun for the direction you will be filming from and then only film in that direction.
    You can't fly here and there with it on and expect it to work properly.
    It also has an ND filter built in and you probably shouldn't need to double up.

The polarising filter doesn't block certain wavelengths. It blocks scattered light and only passes light of a certain polarisation. This is why it is good for removing glare from water or shiny surfaces.

I'm surprised so many people are trying polarisers on their Phantoms and wonder how many are being used correctly.
    They can be good in the right situation but are quite difficult to use properly in the air. You need to realign one of the elements every time you point the camera in a different direction.
    They aren't a set and forget filter like most others.

nparker13, snerd and Dome like this.
  4. Stephan

Depends how much light you want to let through, if you going to use a 2 stop filter then a polarisor adds a 3rd stop...

Correct and incorrect, In simple terms, a circular polarizing filter is rotated so certain wavelengths of light are blocked from entering the lens and hitting the sensor. This can be fine turned depending on the angle between your light source (the sun or light bulbs, typically) and the subject being photographed by spinning the filter until the desired effect is accomplished. It is not just scattered light...

I shoot landscapes part time professionally and almost never take my polariser off. It makes everything vibrant and pop!!! What as Meta4 says use it with understanding of how it will effect the image.

*Edit*
    Lee Filters website excerpt

#4 Stephan, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  5. snerd

Yes, first time I saw mentioned that a polarizer works best at a 90° angle to the sun.

6. Monte55

I agree with Meta4. Polarizing filters do not block different wavelengths of light. All objects reflect light in all directions. Think of the filter as window blinds set at an angle. Light from some planes will pass as others are blocked. It's all relative to light source.

snerd likes this.
  7. PhantomFilters

Hi Miguel

Yes, you can use the POL-filter and an ND-filter at the same time. I personally do this all the time. During a sunny day up here in Denmark I'll usually use the POL-filter + ND8 filter - and the camera will be running at or very close to the optimum 60 shutter speed (ISO100, EV0) at 4K30 video.

If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to help.

Jeff48920 likes this.
  8. izzydrone

Can anyone explain how each one individually should be used ?

9. PhantomFilters

10. TonG

Yes, but that means that with the very wide angle of the lens not the whole scene is polarized.
    In general you can say that polarizers and very wide angle lenses don't like each other.

11. PhantomFilters

That is not exactly my experience. I find that - at least the POL-filter I offer - works great with the relatively wide angle lens on the Phantom 3.

Check out this test-image I took with one of the POL-filters I sell, but where I have physically cut the POL-filter in half in order for the left part of the image to be where there is POL-filter in front of the lens and the right side of the lens is without any filter:

[​IMG]

12. TonG

Your photo is not a good example. You should show the same photo twice so you use the total angle. One with and one without POL and also exposure corrected.

But from what I see in the recent foto; the pol-filter works only at the right side of the POL-part while the left part is unaffected. There is also a huge green/cyanshift in the polar part.