can i turn gps off?

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a dii phantom 2 with go pro, i want to fly this thing inside a school gym, If i lose signal for any reason It will fly up high and return to where i took off from. problem is i'm sure it's going to fly higher that the ceiling will allow. is there any way to turn this feature off, so that if i lose signal it just comes straight down?

No need. If it can't detect satellites then it will just fly in atti mode - it will hold level, orientation and height, but will just drift position with any wind (or indoors, with any air currents or prop wash). The return to home behaviour you talk about occurs when you lose control signal from your transmitter - either from flying out of transmitter range, interference to your signal from some other source (like strong wifi repeaters or similar) or if you turn off the transmitter.

thats what i'm talking about, if i lose signal for any reason inside the gym, its going to fly straight up into the ceiling and just bounce around up there

If you're flying inside a gym, there's no way you're going to lose signal.

Never really thought about what would happen if you turned off the Tx while doing so, but never would want to try to find out either!

I did fly inside an empty studio, ,. didn't get GPS so it was in ATTI mode, which can be tricky in a confined area! be careful.

mystic97z said:
thats what i'm talking about, if i lose signal for any reason inside the gym, its going to fly straight up into the ceiling and just bounce around up there

The odds of losing signal between the TX & quad in such a small area is remote(no pun intended). Just be careful not to turn off the TX by accident. Also be careful not to fly too close to the ceiling as the props are creating a vacuum effect from above and it could get sucked up against the ceiling and result in a crash

It will just land if it goes into failsafe with less than 6 sats locked. I don't think it rises to 20m first like a return to home. Should be ok inside a hall i'd have thought unless it has a thin roof..

damoncooper said:
You can change the fail safe behavior to just land vs RTH and land. Use the assistant software to configure.
This is a good idea for flying indoors.

Along with that, if you really want to make sure you do not get any satellites, just open up the shell and unplug the GPS antenna.
I get sat lock indoors...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20