Can I take my Phantom Batteries on a plane?

Reaction score
Guys,

I have seen a lot of hoo-ha about whether or not you can take Lipo's on holiday with you etc etc and whether you can fly with your Phantom. (And I have posted this info on another thread)

There have been numerous posts about it but thought I would try and clarify some common misconceptions.

1. The Phantom itself (without batteries) can be carried on as hand luggage OR checked into the hold if you want. The craft in itself is not classed as hazardous, dangerous or anything else - It's is a piece of plastic with some metal parts and some cleaver electronics in it. That's it. The TSA should have no issue with a Phantom (minus batteries) either with you or checked in.

2. Batteries....The batteries allowed on commercial flights (and I'm only talking about LIPO's here because that's what we are all interested in) is limited by the amount of Lithium in the pack (all cells combined). They MUST be carried with you as carry on and the MAXIMUM legal limit of lithium that you are allowed to fly with is 25 grams PER BATTERY/PACK.

A 25 gram pack is the equivalent (roughly) to a 300Watt Hour (Wh) battery. If your packs are over 300Wh then you will not be allowed to take them on the plane.

To determine the watt hour rating of your packs take the voltage of the pack (nominal Lipo pack is 3.7v per cell), multiply it by the capacity (mAh) and divide by 1,000.

If it's more than 300Wh's ...... you're not taking it on the plane !!!

Having said all of the above... Of course if your 'friendly' TSA/Airport security chappie says "Nope - you're not taking that on the flight". They have last word. You can argue and ask for a supervisor and complain all you like but if they say no it's a no. If you see them frowning and popping on one rubber glove, stop complaining, leave your lipo's and get on the plane !!! :lol:

I hope that helps some people!

Edit: It has just been pointed out to me that you should always check with your individual carrier anyway in case they have their own set of more restrictive rules. These will always over-ride the figures I quoted above which are FAA maximums.

The Editor said:
Guys,

I have seen a lot of hoo-ha about whether or not you can take Lipo's on holiday with you etc etc and whether you can fly with your Phantom.

There have been numerous posts about it but thought I would try and clarify some common misconceptions.

1. The Phantom itself (without batteries) can be carried on as hand luggage OR checked into the hold if you want. The craft in itself is not classed as hazardous, dangerous or anything else - It's is a piece of plastic with some metal parts and some cleaver electronics in it. That's it. The TSA should have no issue with a Phantom (minus batteries) either with you or checked in.

2. Batteries....The batteries allowed on commercial flights (and I'm only talking about LIPO's here because that's what we are all interested in) is limited by the amount of Lithium in the pack (all cells combined). They MUST be carried with you as carry on and the MAXIMUM legal limit of lithium that you are allowed to fly with is 25 grams PER BATTERY/PACK.

A 25 gram pack is the equivalent (roughly) to a 300Watt Hour (Wh) battery. If your packs are over 300Wh then you will not be allowed to take them on the plane.

To determine the watt hour rating of your packs take the voltage of the pack (nominal Lipo pack is 3.7v per cell), multiply it by the capacity (mAh) and divide by 1,000.

If it's more than 300Wh's ...... you're not taking it on the plane !!!

Having said all of the above... Of course if your 'friendly' TSA/Airport security chappie says "Nope - you're not taking that on the flight". They have last word. You can argue and ask for a supervisor and complain all you like but if they say no it's a no. If you see them frowning and popping on one rubber glove, stop complaining, leave your lipo's and get on the plane !!! :lol:

I hope that helps some people!

OK so if I did this right then a P2 battery is 58Wh so we can carry all we want... correct?

Yup - I think the actual manufacturers figure for the P2 battery is 57.72Wh but well within the limit allowed.

(Do check with the carrier though as SOME will put a limit on the number of packs you can travel with).

I normally carry mine in a DJI battery vest. Never had an issue yet :lol:

Attachments

• obesity_vest.jpg
    obesity_vest.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 571
What's 0.28Wh between friends?

Just rounding for convenience.

xgeek said:
I normally carry mine in a DJI battery vest. Never had an issue yet :lol:

YES !!!... that's the perfect way to carry them onto a plane. Shouldn't have any problems at all ! :lol:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20