Can I slow down the turning around stick? (R)

Reaction score
When I am in the air and making a turn to either side, standing still but turning around. Then I quite often experience that I don't have the best control of this, also that I do have shaky hands. I lengthened the rod on the left side on my controller, and it helped a lot. But I heard someone said that I am able to actually make it react slower? So I can keep using my small rod. Can anyone tell me how or if it can be done?

I am talking about the "R" movement seen in the NAZA software
Thanks

I don't think it's possible with the stock DJI controller, because it's not computerized. It is possible with aftermarket
radios like the Futaba T8J, and Spektrum DX series, using the "Exponential" settings. You can set up a switch on these radios to change the rates for all 4 stick movements, but I wouldn't really recommend it for throttle.

Audaciter said:
I don't think it's possible with the stock DJI controller, because it's not computerized. It is possible with aftermarket
radios like the Futaba T8J, and Spektrum DX series, using the "Exponential" settings. You can set up a switch on these radios to change the rates for all 4 stick movements, but I wouldn't really recommend it for throttle.
F8J keeps being mentioned. Cant http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-FUTAB ... 3803655%26
do the job? I mean... the price is so high for f8j :)

There are probably kits available, to lengthen the gimbal control sticks, as well as springs to add resistance to your movements.

If you do begin to consider an aftermarket radio though, research them thoroughly, as there are multiple brands, and models.
Not all of them are as expensive as the Futabas, but they are expensive for a reason.

The radio you linked to, the Futaba T6J is only 6 channels, and while it may, or may not suit your needs for the Phantom right
now, If you make any upgrades, you will need additional channels.
Also, the computerized radios are capable of being used for multiple models. The T8J for example, is capable of being
programmed for 20 different R/C's, both airplane, and helicopters. (Your Phantom is actually programmed using the airplane
mode).
The other consideration is reliability. Your Phantom, action cam, etc, are less likely to be lost due to tx/rx communication
failure, with a good radio system. It's just a fact of life, that kits such as the Phantom are packaged with cheap radios, to
make them affordable.

simonthk said:
When I am in the air and making a turn to either side, standing still but turning around. Then I quite often experience that I don't have the best control of this, also that I do have shaky hands. I lengthened the rod on the left side on my controller, and it helped a lot. But I heard someone said that I am able to actually make it react slower? So I can keep using my small rod. Can anyone tell me how or if it can be done?

Thanks

Isn't that what the gain function in the Assistant software is designed to manipulate??? I thought lowering the gain on any given control would reduce the sensitivity of the response.

Also, have you calibrated your transmitter??? There's a Youtube video and/or instructions somewhere on this forum with express instructions.

PF

This was what I came up with:

I added a voltage divider in parallel (green circle) with the one that is placed on the rod(red circle). So it makes the voltage drop less for my movements. I measured the resistance to be 0,7k per side of the rod´s potentiometer, so 1k seemed fine.
The downside is ofcourse, that I cant turn fast around, but it turns so fast now so I couldn't care less.

As you can see on the picture, I am not able to get "R" to max value. But on the other hand, I have a longer range to move my rod on for a lower value. The value shown is the value at max rod position.

Please don't look at the fuse :D

PhantomFan said:
simonthk said:

Thanks

Isn't that what the gain function in the Assistant software is designed to manipulate??? I thought lowering the gain on any given control would reduce the sensitivity of the response.

Also, have you calibrated your transmitter??? There's a Youtube video and/or instructions somewhere on this forum with express instructions.

PF
I thought so too, but quick test showed that it didn't seemed to be the case

Audaciter said:
There are probably kits available, to lengthen the gimbal control sticks, as well as springs to add resistance to your movements.

If you do begin to consider an aftermarket radio though, research them thoroughly, as there are multiple brands, and models.
Not all of them are as expensive as the Futabas, but they are expensive for a reason.

The radio you linked to, the Futaba T6J is only 6 channels, and while it may, or may not suit your needs for the Phantom right
now, If you make any upgrades, you will need additional channels.
Also, the computerized radios are capable of being used for multiple models. The T8J for example, is capable of being
programmed for 20 different R/C's, both airplane, and helicopters. (Your Phantom is actually programmed using the airplane
mode).
The other consideration is reliability. Your Phantom, action cam, etc, are less likely to be lost due to tx/rx communication
failure, with a good radio system. It's just a fact of life, that kits such as the Phantom are packaged with cheap radios, to
make them affordable.
Sure I would want a better radio for my phantom. But I don't have the money now :) Also the failsafe routines should hopefully work of it gets away.

lol, my "fantastic" update sure kicks me in the but now :) I cant start it because it doesn't have a max value....greeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

I also have shaky fingers and was quite frustrated in my attempts to get smoother reactions from the Phantom. I've often complained on the Phantom forums that the quad is too "twitchy". One false move and I'm in the trees or bouncing off an obstacle.

None of my attempts to calm the Phantom was satisfying so I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to the Futaba T8J. I then used the often cited YouTube videos on programming the radio to tame the sticks, especially yaw.

Whoa! It is like flying a different machine -- smooth action, much steadier and far more forgiving of my shaky fingers.

When you can afford the upgrade, don't hesitate!

simonthk said:
lol, my "fantastic" update sure kicks me in the but now :) I cant start it because it doesn't have a max value....greeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Not only is your tx fail safe, it appears " fool proof " too! Lol

Roadkilt said:
simonthk said:

Not only is your tx fail safe, it appears " fool proof " too! Lol

:D I did fix it with a button making a shortcircuit between the wires :) So now I have a start button :D on the middle of me transmitter.

Though I must have miscalculated my circuit abit. Even though it works and it works great, it works more the one side than the other. Doesn't really matter much, but I ofcourse doesn't find it satisfying. I am gonna use it though, and look for better solutions.

GearLoose said:
I also have shaky fingers and was quite frustrated in my attempts to get smoother reactions from the Phantom. I've often complained on the Phantom forums that the quad is too "twitchy". One false move and I'm in the trees or bouncing off an obstacle.

None of my attempts to calm the Phantom was satisfying so I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to the Futaba T8J. I then used the often cited YouTube videos on programming the radio to tame the sticks, especially yaw.

Whoa! It is like flying a different machine -- smooth action, much steadier and far more forgiving of my shaky fingers.

When you can afford the upgrade, don't hesitate!

I will I certainly will. Also for the range

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic