Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Can I mount a new gimbal with a gopro 3 or 4 to my V2+?

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by sheldrake, Nov 2, 2014.

1. sheldrake

Really am sick and tired of the crappy video im getting from th V2+ camera. From no manual control, to some the worst video compression, the video just plain stinks. I would like to remove the existing gymbal and cam and install a new 3d gymbal, Gopro 4, AND also maintain FPV via the DJI App on my iphone.. And if there is a gimbal that can actually pan left or right (motorized) that would be amazing!

2. Idbird

:D

3. Mopar Bob

This is an excellent recap which I found very informative. I think there is still one option DB does not cover, but it too is costly. Installing Lightbridge. Besides the cost of the gimbal and gopro, you would also have the $1400 price tag of Lightbridge. And with the new phantom transmitter with the training plug now available the cost of a $500 transmitter wouldn't be needed. The big advantage this offers is the high definition FPV. I am not an expert on this and not sure I covered all the bases, so any comments on its viability would be nice to hear.

4. aggiesrwe03

So basically, we should have bought the phantom 2, and bought FPV, and Gimbal separate plus a Gopro and be only $100 or $200 more than what the Vision+ costs? (depending on what you buy of course) Honestly, I wish I had gone this route, because the OP is right, the more I use the Vision+ camera, the more I miss my GoPro. I'm actually thinking about selling and starting over... Oh well, you live and learn!!

5. MikeDH

Aggiesrwe03, I'm thinking along the same lines. Can you give an example of the Phantom 2 set-up you describe (e.g. which FPV system would you get)? I just received my P2V+ and having a blast, but not thrilled with the video quality. Since I'm well within my 30 day return period (bought on Amazon), I'm thinking of alternatives to get better video. (Also, I'm considering returning this one for another reason - the upgraded P2V+ came out the day I received the older version, and I like some of the new features - like controlling camera pitch with the 7th channel knob on the new transmitter. So for that reason alone I may return this one and get the upgraded one.)

I bought the P2V+ because it's "plug and play" but willing to do some work if I could get the same functionality and better video with a different set-up.

6. erikgraham

I'm leaning toward the Quickrelease from DroneExperts for the Vision Plus. Its definitely an expensive route to take if all you want is the zenmuse gimbal + GoPro, but I like the idea of being able to swap in different gimbal/cameras as DroneExperts adds support for them. For example, they are supposedly working on a new SonyDX100 connector.

7. flyNfrank

I noticed nobody mentioned modifying the current vPlus camera. These guys have a decent setup, that cost too much in my opinion. But they do have a video on youtube that walks you through the process. After watching I thought I would find and buy my own and do it for pennies on the dollar compared to just under $400 for a kit. http://ragecams.com/shop/54mm-flat-lens ... p-704.html

8. Mako79

That doesn't improve much as the limiting factor of the camera is the CCD. The lens they used just fixes the fish eye and assist in FPV for a truer depth perception. In other words, you don't need to fly so close to get your subject matter.

DJI needs to do a firmware upgrade on the camera and see if they can push the data bandwidth. They can do minor tweaks also to improve quality to minimise noise.

I think gopro option is much better than the 5.4mm path. The 5.4mm lens itself is $200 and looks like a pain in the ***.
    If you are going down that path, I would suggest you to find a crashed camera and do the mod on it so you have a 2.8 and 5.4 swappable.

9. aggiesrwe03

Sorry I didn't reply sooner MikeDH. I haven't priced together any option just yet so not totally sure. As for the droneexperts QuickRelease, that appears to be the way to go, and will probably be what I do! Looks easy, and seems to to be the most cost effective when you consider starting over means new phantom, Gimbal, FPV system, iosd, plus go pro. Not to mention its native to the app.

10. Mako79

It's not a bad option. It is the cheapest solution but if you can spare $500 and do a bit more homework...

DE quick release $400
    Vision Mount plate $75
    Zenmuse Mount Plate $75
    Zenmuse h3-3d $450
    (not going to include the price of the vision plus)

So its a $1000 to upgrade to hots swap.
    Advantages is that you can take photos.

Other option:
    PV2 with Zenmuse $950 (old version)
    Pearl diversity $300 32 channel receiver
    AVL58 or ImmersionRC $100 transmitter
    IOSD mini $75
    Cable/Plug in kit $20 for FPV (this makes it plug and play).
    Miscalenous upgrade Antenna $60.

$1500 to have a spare backup unit.
    Advantages is that you don't place all your eggs in one basket.
    Also, the FPV doesn't go black immediately.

***Gopro is excluded in both ***

11. Dirty Bird

While the Lightbridge is another option, I did not include it in the list because it is prohibitively expensive. The Lightbridge alone is currently $1400, plus you would need a new 2.4 Ghz controller, gimbal, and camera. With a Zenmuse, GoPro Hero3 Black, and a decent Futaba transmitter, you are looking at $2500 or more depending on choice of transmitter. I will add it in a few days. In the middle of moving... :)

12. MikeDH

Thanks to both for very helpful suggestions. I've done some research since I posted here and found no shortage of set-ups that use other cameras (mostly gopro). Since, as mentioned, I'm still within the 30 day return window, I can start fresh just for the cost of shipping my new P2V+ back to the vendor. So, based on my research, I'm leaning towards a set-up very similar to the one described my Mako79 in his "other option", except rather than an old version P2V I would start with a new P2 (version 2.0 with upgraded motors, ESCs, props, etc.), with a gopro 4.

I'm actually also thinking of another plug n play option, albeit at a hefty premium. That is, one of the DSLRpros kits that take a P2 version 2.0 and add FPV, iOSD, etc. and put it all together, test it out and ship it. http://www.dslrpros.com/

Certainly not cheap but has its appeal and they seem to get good reviews on this board.

Thanks again for the information.

13. Mopar Bob

DB: I agree with your comments, especially about price. Very expensive. But I do think you can exclude the cost of the controller in this scheme if you have, or plan to buy, the updated controller from DJI. It has a training port which will connect to the Lightbridge ground unit. Lightbridge will then handle all the communications to the aircraft. I am reasonably certain of this but not 100%.

One other comment regarding the quick release option. This seams very reasonable for those that really want to go the Gopro route. One advantage that I see to it is that you can incrementally make the changes. That is, you can spend $600 up front to get you to where you started, then over time update to the new gimbal, then the new camera, and so on. You can plan out the next 3 years Christmas gifts this way! BUT, something I did not see mentioned anywhere is that the overall height of the unit changes with this option. There are spacers that get inserted in the landing gear to accommodate the extra height of the quick release mechanism. So if you spent a lot of dough on a good case, the phantom may no longer fit into it.

14. unclecharlie

Anyone out there using a quick release / zenmuse / Gopro 4 that can give us some feedback. I've heard about problems with image wobble/ jello..

I wish I'd found this forum before buying my Vision+, great unit but the video quality is major drawback.

Cheers
    J