Can I install gimbal without having to open quad

Reaction score
I am new and don't really want to open up the quad. Can I mount it to the quad and run power only off from white plug of battery. I don't care to much about pitch. Is there a certain model that does it. Every video I watch they take apart the quad (F2) port. Also don't get the whole brushless meaning. Thank you all for helping

Brushless is the type of motor used on the gimbal (google is your friend). If you don't want pitch control you can just take power from the auxiliary wire peeking out from one of the P1's legs. If you do want pitch control then opening it up is inevitable.

Reactions: No LImit
Although you could power the gimbal from the balance plug of your flight battery (assuming you have 12v gimbal) you still need to open up the P1 to connect the pitch and roll leads from the gimbal controller board to the correct ports on the NAZA flight controller.

Since the balance plug leads are short (making routing wires difficult) its much wiser to power the gimbal from a self made soldered connection (shown in the attached photo) via a connection made to the P1's main board.

After that you need to turn on the gimbal the using the DJI Assistant software and then follow instructions from your gimbal manufacturer to calibrate the gimbal's pitch and roll.

Be careful opening the P1 shells.... there's GPS wiring connected between the bottom and top shells that can be broken if you separate the shells too far apart.

Attached is good photo showing how all the connections are made...

If you have little or no soldering experience, I recommend you find friend (or a radio or tv technician) to do this work for you.

Attachments

• dji phantom auxiliary power - Google Search_2015-09-29_10-18-18.png
    dji phantom auxiliary power - Google Search_2015-09-29_10-18-18.png
    835.1 KB · Views: 812
Brushless is the type of motor used on the gimbal (google is your friend). If you don't want pitch control you can just take power from the auxiliary wire peeking out from one of the P1's legs. If you do want pitch control then opening it up is inevitable.
No pitch control just looking to keep steady. What p1 leg do you mean for power? Sorry new at this

Although you could power the gimbal from the balance plug of your flight battery (assuming you have 12v gimbal) you still need to open up the P1 to connect the pitch and roll leads from the gimbal controller board to the correct ports on the NAZA flight controller.

Since the balance plug leads are short (making routing wires difficult) its much wiser to power the gimbal from a self made soldered connection (shown in the attached photo) via a connection made to the P1's main board.

After that you need to turn on the gimbal the using the DJI Assistant software and then follow instructions from your gimbal manufacturer to calibrate the gimbal's pitch and roll.

Be careful opening the P1 shells.... there's GPS wiring connected between the bottom and top shells that can be broken if you separate the shells too far apart.

Attached is good photo showing how all the connections are made...

If you have little or no soldering experience, I recommend you find friend (or a radio or tv technician) to do this work for you.

Thank u so much

No pitch control just looking to keep steady. What p1 leg do you mean for power? Sorry new at this

Your Phantom 1 (P1) has a wire designed and installed specifically for powering external devices. It is located on the front right leg, coming out through a little foam rubber grommet. You can take your power from there, no need to open it up, unless the PO messed with it. Red is always +

With all that said, it's really very easy to open up a Phantom. There are (seriously) dozens of youtube videos on how to do it.

Reactions: 750r
I only have the wire that plug to gps. And other side is antenna. Nothing else to plug into to

I only have the wire that plug to gps. And other side is antenna. Nothing else to plug into to
No plugs, just a bare wire, but with the correct voltage to power a gimbal. Gimbals usually come with a connector to attach to this wire.
power-wire.jpg

No nothing there hmmm

Attachments

• 1443805721756.jpg
    1443805721756.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 445
Last thing to try is checking if it's not just tucked into the grommet. Use tweezers to do this. If you can't get it out then you have no option but to open the Phantom up...

Will it be there inside or possibility mine never came with one? Do all come with this piece. Thanks

Will it be there inside or possibility mine never came with one? Do all come with this piece. Thanks
As far as I know, they all came with it. Here's a picture of an early Phantom and the wire is clearly visible going out the left bottom corner leg hole, which is in fact the right front corner of the quad.

Oh, and just to clear a misunderstanding you seem to have: what you are referring to as the "GPS" is actually the compass. The GPS is inside the top of the shell.
maxresdefault.jpg

Checked both of my P1.1.1's....

One clearly has the two wires (red & grey) barely coming out of the grommet.

The other "may" have the two wires but I can't be sure.... the landing gear partially obscures the grommet hole, making it hard to be sure. There does appear to be a red & grey color in the grommet hole area leading me to believe the wires also exist on my second Phantom.

I'm guessing that both quads have the red/grey wire leads but that most of the wire length is tucked up inside the shell away from view.

If you can't see and reach it with tweezers like here, then you need to open it up.

It's really not that hard. Sorry I don't have the Allen wrench size off the top of my head and I'm on the road but somebody should be able to quickly answer that.

Attachments

• 6sLUyCu.jpg
    6sLUyCu.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 392
If you can't see and reach it with tweezers like here, then you need to open it up.

It's really not that hard. Sorry I don't have the Allen wrench size off the top of my head and I'm on the road but somebody should be able to quickly answer that.

I was only replying to kja5211 to let him know how my P1.1.1's were configured... he had asked if all P1's were configured the same way.

BTW.... I wouldn't use tweezers to pull this wire lead out. Using tweezers could damage/break the insulation between the leads and accidentally short out the flight battery. MUCH SAFER to just open up the shells and pull the wire out .... if its there.

Thank u I think I'm going to have to open it up. Will the gimbal have the plug to go right into f2 port? Is that the only thing I would need to connect to the internal to make this work or do I need to solder too.

Once you extract the power wire you'll want to install a connector? Perhaps solder the power wires on the gimbal PCB? Several choices but most folks use a connector.

If you want pitch control and your radio controller has the lever installed you'll run a lone signal wire to F2 on NazaM.

You can power gimbal from balance connector on battery pack and some gimbals come with JST connector for that purpose.

It's not as elegant as DJI power wire and probably require a notch in battery door or someplace for wire to enter/exit.

Reactions: kjar211

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.