Can I fly P4P within 5 miles of an airport?

Reaction score
My home is located in within 5 miles of two small airports used for flight clubs but not for commercial flight. Besides, there are another two helipads belonging to two different medical centers.

I bought this P4P last week at BestBuyt, but at that time I didn't know these rules like "By law, you must notify the airport operator and the air traffic control tower (if one is present) of your flight". So I asked some of you at this forum for help not long ago, but the answers seem not very helpful.

So I also asked the Best Buy staff who owns a drone today. He told me that since the airports have not control tower, so it is not necessary for me to notify them including that two helipads. Just make sure no fly over 400 feet and be far away from them, then you can fly.

Really? Is it true for his words? I struggled these days I really loved the drone, but I don't know how to notify airport. I want to use that drone to take some beautiful photos to record my life experience about traveling. But I don't want to violate any rules or regulations of U.S.

So last week I went to that small airport around me. They told me I should notify every airport and helipads before flying. OMG, it is very difficult for an international student whose English is not quite good to contact with all of them, and even I don't know where I can get their phone numbers.

Can I ask for your opinions? If it is really difficult to fly a drone at Knoxville, TN? If it is, I will give up and return it to Best Buy. I don't want to get myself into trouble.

You must notify each airport AND the tower at airports that have them.

If your house (or any place where you will regularly fly) is within 5 miles, I would write a letter saying that you intend to fly occasionally within X distance of your house at altitudes not to exceed Y feet. They will probably accept that as blanket notification so that you don't have to call each time you fly.

If your English is not quite good, as an international student, you may face more intense scrutiny than the average bear, when contacting airports about permission to fly your drone within 5 miles! ;) There's a new Sheriff in town! :cool:

You might find it easier to travel a bit to fly.
Where I live there is nothing to interfere, but after a while that gets a bit boring. My most fulfilling flights have been to nearby, more scenic locations.
Make sure you are registered with the FAA, and display you assigned number on the aircraft. Happy flying!
(The FAA app, B4UFly, might prove helpful, too)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4