Can I fly in my backyard if its within 5 mi of an airport?

Reaction score
I live on the edge of the 5 mile radius of a heliport, and there is no phone number for anything.
Can I just fly in my backyard without telling them (I couldn't find any contact info)?
Edit: Just found out the airport operators are not there.

Last edited:
I live on the edge of the 5 mile radius of a heliport, and there is no phone number for anything.
Can I just fly in my backyard without telling them (I couldn't find any contact info)?

Not a good idea. Use this map: U.S. Air Space Map | Know Before You Fly

Enter your location, look for the airport near you and click on the orange circle. The airport control tower phone number will be available in the white pop-up box. :)

ooops... sorry. I see you said Heliport. If you're not in restricted airspace, you may be ok, but if there is a controlled field nearby, a courtesy call is always appreciated. ;)

Not a good idea. Use this map: U.S. Air Space Map | Know Before You Fly

Enter your location, look for the airport near you and click on the orange circle. The airport control tower phone number will be available in the white pop-up box. :)

ooops... sorry. I see you said Heliport. If you're not in restricted airspace, you may be ok, but if there is a controlled field nearby, a courtesy call is always appreciated. ;)
I was wondering if a heliport counted as an airport. Also I used the link you sent, and my location is not in orange or red.

I was wondering if a heliport counted as an airport

Yes. It's charted, designated, etc. and, traffic can land there at any time. I would just call the closest controlled tower, and let them know your position relative to the Heliport and how high you intend to fly, for how long etc. You'll CYA, and they will appreciate the heads up and most likely be very helpful. They will also probably let you know if it's always necessary to call based upon the normal traffic that uses the pad. Be pro-active :)

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Just give the airport a quick call before you fly and let them know you're going to be flying, and for now long. The rule doesn't say you can't fly if there's an airport w/in 5 miles. Just says you have to notify them.

I don't know if this "loophole" is legit, but the rules just say you have to notify them (doesn't specify "how"), so it might be possible (if they're OK with it) to ask for their email address and send them an email in the future before you fly. I talked to a local airstrip here and they just told me to email them next time.

Just give the airport a quick call before you fly and let them know you're going to be flying, and for now long. The rule doesn't say you can't fly if there's an airport w/in 5 miles. Just says you have to notify them.

I don't know if this "loophole" is legit, but the rules just say you have to notify them (doesn't specify "how"), so it might be possible (if they're OK with it) to ask for their email address and send them an email in the future before you fly. I talked to a local airstrip here and they just told me to email them next time.
The heliport that im within a 5 mile radius of doesn't have contact info, should I just call up the closest control tower?

The heliport that im within a 5 mile radius of doesn't have contact info, should I just call up the closest control tower?
If they're still in operation, you should be able to look the airport up on the FAA registry or many other websites and get the current owner and/or manager's contact info. They can tell you if the place is even in service anymore. Of the 4 places that the FAA says are in range of my flying area, only one of the fields is even in service anymore, so it's possible there's no one to call anyway....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20