Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Professional Can I fly in atti mode with a compass error?

Discussion in 'Phantom 3 Help' started by Jase, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Jase

Hi guys.

I'm on a ship doing a shoot. As the ship is all metal I have few places I can get an all clear and basically get compass error and that I need to move the drones position. Basically if I hold it up it goes to all safe and GPS mode. I have quite a few flights with no problems.

The question is this, can I fly in atti mode if there is a compass error or will it flip over on take off?

Cheers
    Jason

2. bbfpv

ATTI has nothing to do w/ the compass, it disables the ability for GPS to hold the bird's position. If you can get a ready to fly by calibrating above your head, then by all means. Just be careful getting too close to the ship since it might/will mess w/ the compass.

In any case, you've answered your own question since you've had successful flights. I wouldn't risk my bird, but it's yours.

3. FCPhantom

If you get compas error caution, the app wants you to move ATTI mode. Why, if ATTI mode has nothing to do with compas?

4. bbfpv

No idea. I don't see how they're related and I'm guessing it's a bug. Regardless, one more reason for knowing how to fly in ATTI

5. BudWalker

That's exactly the point. Since ATTI mode doesn't use the compass it's safe to fly in ATTI mode even though the compass is unreliable.

6. Dronebow

When I was in the Navy there were all kinds of Radar emitters which would scare the snot out of me with a $1000 RC flying around. We used to joke about how those things would sterilize you if you got in front of it. Might be something to consider.

7. bobmyers

a sterilized the Phantom for sure:D:D

8. Jase

Hi bbfpv

This is why I am asking. In GPS mode a compass error would mean it could become unstable but in atti mode I would think a compass error would not change the flying characteristics as it is already in a manual mode and not needing the compass for correcting its flight. I am happy flying in atti or manual mode as I have lots of experience with helicopters with no GPS.

I don't know that I have answered my own question as I don't know that I had a compass error while flying as I made sure I had GPS before I took off by placing the Phantom in areas where it didn't have a compass error. I was limited where I could take off and it would of been nice to fly from areas where I was unfortunately getting a compass error but if I know that it wont matter if in atti mode then it could help me. I don't want to crash just trying it.

It will help if any one can tell me for future times that I may find myself in a similar situation?

Thanks for any help