Can I fly from inside go over balcony railing to outside

iAm

Reaction score
I'm on the 6th floor of a condo in Mexico.
Nice huge window to fly out and over the balcony. No trees or tall buildings near-by, just open sky calling me.
There are regular power lines going to the homes and businesses below. No transformers near-by.
Not flying over residential, planned flying along treed roadway.
I can fly inside with 10 satellites on a cloudy night. My GPS location is dead-on.
Should I switch to Atti mode? Just in case it randomly disconnects and initiates "return home".
I only plan on a 5-10 minute fly around with a planned max distance of a 50 metres out and a planned max height of 100 metres up.
-I'm reluctant to go high because the rc has warned me twice "weak rc signal" at 200 metres straight above me. But there were heavy electrical wires near me and I took off from a parking rooftop. (The home point was off by 30 metres )
And the flat part of the antenna was not directed at the phantom. The top end points were pointing at the phantom. I have since learned about optimal antenna reception.-
Has anyone tried flying from a condo/apartment balcony?

Last edited:
Yes!! it can be done relitavely easy, but i had to do some confidence building before flying.
2 hrs. to build confidence for my first 5 minute flight in a town
My main concern is the breeze/wind when leaving and arriving back at the condo
Rc signal strong and satellites reached 14

I woud start and end the flight in ATTI with full control and no suprises if you loose GPS. You will want to make sure your orientation skills are A1 and allow for compass errors, no idea how your condo is built hiwever concrete is cheap and efficient in this type of construction and full of reinforcing steel.

The risk factor is high but it is certainly possible.

Reactions: iAm
Thanks for the reply.
I feel very comfortable operating but still feel a tad nervous because of wind and electromagnetic being emitted from sources like transformers.
Here's a pic of the me operating the bird.
Top floor, left side.
The coolest feeling is when the bird flew out of the condo.
And no problem bringing it home. Very smooth.
My friend caught it at the balcony for safety reasons.
I could have easily brought it in but I find its hovering needs a 1-2' radius all around the bird
And the condo has limited open space because of furniture.
I balanced the props before this trip hoping that would improve the hovering.
It did not improve the hovering but the bird does not vibrate because of unbalanced props.
Great investment.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 434
Last edited:
Should I switch to Atti mode? Just in case it randomly disconnects and initiates "return home".
Yes ... as mentioned no big problems.
Just don't calibrate the compass in the condo.
Atti mode for your exit flight and switch to GPS when you are out in the open is probably a good idea.
-I'm reluctant to go high because the rc has warned me twice "weak rc signal" at 200 metres straight above me. But there were heavy electrical wires near me and I took off from a parking rooftop. (The home point was off by 30 metres )
And the flat part of the antenna was not directed at the phantom. The top end points were pointing at the phantom. I have since learned about optimal antenna reception.-
Straight up is always the hardest angle to get good signal strength whatever angle you point the antennas.
Go further out and up and you'll have much better control.
Of course there are other reasons why it might not be a good idea to fly high.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav