Can I fly close to power wires?

Reaction score
I would like to take aerial photographs of our house / land. My concern is that way overhead and to the side runs a large bank of power wires. I can hear the power running through them as a quiet crackle. Am I just asking for trouble with interference? or problems with GPS or compass?

Anyone here flown close to power wires? did it cause any problems?

Thanks!

I would not, would probably get magnetic and radio frequency interference could cause a fly away.

Not sure why it would affect the GPS (unless you got really close to the cables/structure). I've flown under lower voltage powerlines (not 40k crackle inducing ones) and had no ill effects at all. If you got too close to the cables (within say 10 feet) it could be enough to cause the compass some issues but if you can fly over the house without being directly under them I'd not worry too much.

Maybe the best be is to take off the props, stand as close to 'under' the cables as it might get and then get someone to activate the motors with the TX standing where you'd likely stand for flight. If the motors activate without input, fluctuate or do anything weird directly under them you'd at least know not to even think of risking it. Not perfect of course because its not 'in flight' but might be as best of a test as you can do.

DeweyAXD said:
Not sure why it would affect the GPS (unless you got really close to the cables/structure). I've flown under lower voltage powerlines (not 40k crackle inducing ones) and had no ill effects at all. If you got too close to the cables (within say 10 feet) it could be enough to cause the compass some issues but if you can fly over the house without being directly under them I'd not worry too much.

Maybe the best be is to take off the props, stand as close to 'under' the cables as it might get and then get someone to activate the motors with the TX standing where you'd likely stand for flight. If the motors activate without input, fluctuate or do anything weird directly under them you'd at least know not to even think of risking it. Not perfect of course because its not 'in flight' but might be as best of a test as you can do.

Never hurts mine... and I live right next to my subdivisions main power lines. Still can fly way out in the pasture over them and back under them.

I have flown under and all around them, coming within about 10 feet of the wires themselves. No problem.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj