Can I fly at the beach in California

Reaction score
I'm from Canada and while I have visited California several times before, this is the first time I'm taking my phantom with me.
I've already registered it with the FAA and have the sticker on the phantom.
I'll be staying in Torrance, California and would like to fly and take videos at some isolated beach spots, mainly next to the cliffs and over water and won't be flying around people.
I'm aware of the usual FAA rules.
Is there any other regulations or something I should be aware of specifically a for California laws?

Thanks.

I suggest you get the B4UFLY app...the only problem I would forsee would be the LAX corridor. But otherwise not really

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

You can fly and take videos in N California, no issues. Avoid flying over people. Check for NFZs.

I flew at Long Beach a few months ago so I looked for law. Could not find any against drones. Also, none of the life guards said anything. In my case I was mainly flying over a roped off area. Unless you are flying right over a ton of people you should be fine. However, don't rule out that rouge person or law enforcement officer who will make up laws to prevent you from flying.

Reactions: snowghost
Yeh, I'll be far away from people. My plan is not to fly on the beaches per Se. I'm talking more over water from other spots, like the trump golf course, some place around there, I remember there are some cool high spots that over look the ocean. That's where I want to fly basically.

Higher is better. Good luck.

@alirz I live in the LA area and I know there's some beach cities where you can't fly at all due to the city regulation - regardless of flying over people or not. I think Venice is one of them. Not sure about the Torrance area.

Checking out B4UFLY is good advice, as well as AirMap.

You can fly and take videos in N California, no issues. Avoid flying over people. Check for NFZs.

Unfortunately not all of Liberal Kalifornia. Plus most of the beaches are CA State Parks.

I recommend you get permission to fly in CA State Parks via District Office Supervising Ranger.

overflight1_lg.jpg

I'll be in the 90505 zip area. Air map shows the 5mile zones around the airports. The location that I plan on flying is just outside one of the yellow zones. So I should be ok ?

I'll be in the 90505 zip area. Air map shows the 5mile zones around the airports. The location that I plan on flying is just outside one of the yellow zones. So I should be ok ?
as long as you don't get into one of those zones. I live on the coast and our local beach is part of golden gate national park. but I have read from national park websites that the only real restrictions are that you cannot launch or land on the site or fly while there is emergency situations like wildfires.

as long as you don't get into one of those zones. I live on the coast and our local beach is part of golden gate national park. but I have read from national park websites that the only real restrictions are that you cannot launch or land on the site or fly while there is emergency situations like wildfires.

Can you post a link to it?

Golden gate is not a national park, it's a national recreational area, there has been many talks about that. I do agree with the statement though about taking off and landing in the parks though.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Unfortunately not all of Liberal Kalifornia. Plus most of the beaches are CA State Parks.

I recommend you get permission to fly in CA State Parks via District Office Supervising Ranger.

overflight1_lg.jpg
Can you link me to where this picture is? I want a copy for when I'm flying to make sure to avoid those. I'm heading out to Santa Cruz next week and want to get some air time in, whale watching hopefully.

Can you link me to where this picture is? I want a copy for when I'm flying to make sure to avoid those. I'm heading out to Santa Cruz next week and want to get some air time in, whale watching hopefully.

Go here and check out #2 and #9: Overflight Regulations | Office National Marine Sanctuaries

9) Are model aircraft and Unmanned Aircraft System (drone) operations restricted within sanctuary overflight regulation zones?
Answer: Yes. Model aircraft and Unmanned Aircraft Systems (drones) that are propelled by motors qualify as motorized aircraft under regulations of the sanctuaries, and therefore must adhere to sanctuary overflight restrictions. As with traditional aircraft, they could operate above the sanctuaries' minimum altitude limits, provided Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations allow them to fly at such altitudes. Current FAA rules impose altitude limitations on model aircraft and other Unmanned Aircraft Systems.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj