Can I build a fast FPV quadcopter from the phantom 1?

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I'm going to order the Q500 (or Q500+) soon and I don't know what to do with my current Phantom.
I could sell it.... or, build it into one of those fpv racing quadcopters. Han anyone ever done this before? What wil I need? Are the 8" props too big? Is the naza not for racing purposes? Motors too slow?
It already has the FPV setup and the transmitter and everything. And I can use the 5200mah battery.
But i'm afraid its going to be just a "phantom on a different frame" which is kinda lame....

The motors/props are too big side for the typical 250mm frame (typically limited to 6" props), but perhaps you can find a frame that's a touch bigger to try out. There are frames like the 250 FPV racers except in larger sizes. But if you really wanted the 250 frame, I'd suggest using different components.

I'm actually trying to use Phantom motors and props on a tricopter (HJ-Y3) frame. So far having some issues setting up the MWC FC.

Hello everybody,

I'm going to order the Q500 (or Q500+) soon and I don't know what to do with my current Phantom.
I could sell it.... or, build it into one of those fpv racing quadcopters. Han anyone ever done this before? What wil I need? Are the 8" props too big? Is the naza not for racing purposes? Motors too slow?
It already has the FPV setup and the transmitter and everything. And I can use the 5200mah battery.
But i'm afraid its going to be just a "phantom on a different frame" which is kinda lame....

It always nice to have a backup bird, Each will fly and drive differently,
I have a vision plus and a basic phantom I use just to fly for fun and not worry so much about camera and stuff,

The Phantom is to fragile ( the plastic specially around screws is falling apart) for fpv racing quad . you would spend to much time and money to fix ti all the time .Also accessibility is bit difficult.
Use it for regular practice .

I'm not using the stock phantom body. I'll probably be upgrading to a FPV racing quad style frame.

Can somebody inform me about ESC's? I keep reading about 2300kv motors? Is this some kind of voltage? Or rpm speed? Looks like I need some new high rpm motors with smaller props. Don't think the stock phantoms engine spin fast enough for a 6" prop.

Ik really like a FPV quad because I tend to fly the phantom as a FPV quad true the bushes and at low altitude. I don't need a second aerial photographing quad.

Have you tried to fly in manual mode ? The phantom moves pretty good

The KV rating tells how fast the motor will spin per volt applied (RPMs per volt) (when unloaded). For the same voltage, a 2200kv motor will spin twice as fast as a 1100kv motor. But if you use a higher voltage battery, the 1100kv motor can somewhat make up for this and probably have more torque (assuming it can handle the voltage). Both motors will actually spin more slowly than that with a prop attached.

Makes sense. I'll need some new motors and ESC. Thats a bummer.

Or... I could just try it with the 8" and stock motors & esc. Got some spare props laying around.

Given the premium on various DJI parts, you probably would be better off selling the P1 and buying new (non-DJI) components for your FPV quad.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj