Can I Bring my Phantom 3 from Australia to India?

Reaction score
Hi Friends,
I am planning to carry my Phantom 3 standard to my home country (India) in next month. As per current drone policy in India, drone comes in prohibited and dutiable items category. I am okey to pay duties if they allow me to enter with my drone, but I am worried if they detain it on airport. I will bring it back to Australia after spending a month in India. I dont know whether I should bring that or not? There is no clear information whether they allow it after taking duties or they detain it.
Is it good idea to dismantle it and put that (covering with case and bubble sheet) in check-in baggage, put LiPo batteries in carry on baggage, and then bring it do India? or Just declare it and see my luck?

Are you able to get in touch with the customs people via the Internet? You may have to sign something that guarantees you take it back to Australia in accordance with your visa. Depending on who you are flying with will determine what restrictions if any apply to checked in luggage. I carry my kit in a hard case and secure the batteries in a lipo bag and have never had a problem. Unless you get a clear answer from either the airline or customs, I wouldn't be surrendering my drone to anyone. Can you rent one on India?

I had called a few custom people in India. Some of them are not much aware about new drone policy. One officer told that it's better to not bring the drone in India. It may be detained at airport and returned to you while returning back to Australia. I read some threads and got to know that some people were successful to bring it in India, and some failed. Its luck. The things is one can rent drone in India, and fly there with local administration permission (for flying under 20m, don't remember exact figure), and DGCA permission for flying above 20m. The strange thing is, people can buy drones from Indian market but importing/bringing the drone in India is a big problem.

India sounds a bit like the Philippines/Singaporewhere I routinely fly, hit and miss with some officials but I just played dumb if anyone ever asks. I would be leaving the drone at home as leaving it at the airport after going to the trouble of bringing it with me would annoy me. The whole +/- 20 mtr restrictions would stop me anyway. Orrrr you could tell them that you are going to film the Indian cricket team flog the Australians and they will probably drive you to your hotel?

Reactions: Loz
I had called a few custom people in India. Some of them are not much aware about new drone policy. One officer told that it's better to not bring the drone in India. It may be detained at airport and returned to you while returning back to Australia.

What did you decide to do? I am in India for a week filming and want to take the drone. But deciding between risking it or hiring a local drone pilot for a day.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20