Can home wifi cause issues?

Reaction score
I am new here and planning on getting a P4 or newer (whenever it is coming out), but anyway I am curious about wifi issues. Do home wifi's interfere with the drones? I do computers for a living and live in the country near a lake. But I sorta out did my wifi. It covers several acres of my property and of course do not want any issues.

I have several access points running on my ham radio tower radiating is 300 degrees on 2.4 GHz and no problems. I have even flown my Phantom 4 right up to the antennas for closeup inspection and experienced no issues.
Good luck
Jim

Glad to hear... mine is broadcasting up to 1.5 - 2 acres on the 2.4 GHz. If you are not having a problem with that type of power and proximity. Then technically I shouldn't.

Yeah, I am using High gain Sector antennas. Not sure what the gain is but I would guess at least 12 dbi. I doubt you would notice any problems. It seems that Phanroms have a very selective receiver. I sure would like to see a schematic of it. I frequently fly my Phantom 4 from my location out to 7,500 feet with 100% signals most of the time! I am using the parabolic reflectors on my stock antennas and they do work! Gotta commend DJI on their RF engineering even with their crummy support staff.
Jim
WA5TEF

Glad to hear... mine is broadcasting up to 1.5 - 2 acres on the 2.4 GHz. If you are not having a problem with that type of power and proximity. Then technically I shouldn't.
The Go4 app will tell you which channels are busy in the 2.4ghz band. Just click the HD icon and select a channel far way as possible from busy channels (usually chan 20). Then slide the "Transmission Quality" down to 4mbps to maximize your flight range.

Reactions: AndrewCCM and JHB
John...
Thanks I will take any tips that I can. Like I mentioned in the post, I haven't even gotten a phantom yet, but trying to figure everything out prior.

My concern is just the opposite. I know this conversation took place nearly a year ago, but I am new to flying. I have a Phantom 4 and my Samsung S4 Tablet running KitKat 4.4.2 keeps exiting the DJI 4 Go app. I've noticed if I'm near the house in WiFi range it seems to work well. After reading all the posts concerning tablets and issues with the two software teams (iOS and Android at DJI) I ordered the newest model iPad which has a fast enough chip to handle transfer of video at considerable speeds. I simply don't know what people new to flying would do without forums like this one. There are so many things to learn beyond what's in the manual. Everyone here seems so helpful when you post a question! Thanks guys & girls!

My concern is just the opposite. I know this conversation took place nearly a year ago, but I am new to flying. I have a Phantom 4 and my Samsung S4 Tablet running KitKat 4.4.2 keeps exiting the DJI 4 Go app. I've noticed if I'm near the house in WiFi range it seems to work well. After reading all the posts concerning tablets and issues with the two software teams (iOS and Android at DJI) I ordered the newest model iPad which has a fast enough chip to handle transfer of video at considerable speeds. I simply don't know what people new to flying would do without forums like this one. There are so many things to learn beyond what's in the manual. Everyone here seems so helpful when you post a question! Thanks guys & girls!
Yes, an S4 is likely underpowered for GO4. You'll be happier with an iPad. I'm an Android fan myself, but always fly DJI with an iPad because they work.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndrewCCM
Hadn’t read that... Mostly what I hear about is application crashes on Android platform constantly. iOS seems to be fairly solid in that regard. I use an iPhone 7+ with MOGO Goggles and/or a iPad Pro 10.5”. So far, no problems at all. iPhone is on latest iOS.. iPad is on latest beta iOS. Flying a P4P and P2V...

Really, I thought the Ipad 4 mini and others were overheating.
My experience is the iPad Mini2 will overheat in temps above 90F. That iPad uses the A7 CPU. The Mini4 and Air2 use an A8 CPU which doesn't overheat as quick. I'm sure if you're in bright sunlight during a 110F day, it might overheat, but I haven't had any problem with my Air2. Subsequent A9 and A10 CPU's won't overheat either, because of more efficient micro-architectures that consume less battery power to do the same work.

The real issue here is the iPad architecture is more stable, with fewer models. The Apple software team have more experience with a more stable h/w platform. Compare that with Andriod with a dozen vendors manufacturing 50 different architectures with Android ported to the their design. Given that moving target mess, DJI trying to get their android app to run on so many platforms is a daunting task, not to mention the DJI android software team is not as astute as the DJI iOS software team, evident from their ability to release stable apps, fixes and feature updates in a timely manor.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1