Can esc blow motor's ?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have some problem with a phantom 1. The unit was flying really then it would just drop out the sky .. I did notice that the leds under the motor was flickering..

The motor now feels very lumpy and not smooth to twist .. I changed the motor. Started the motors and the new motor was instantly lumpy and now the led's under the motors was not on ?

I have more motors but don't wanna try it just get blown again .

Hope someone understand what I'm going on about..

rowl3y said:
Hi all,

I have some problem with a phantom 1. The unit was flying really then it would just drop out the sky .. I did notice that the leds under the motor was flickering..

The motor now feels very lumpy and not smooth to twist .. I changed the motor. Started the motors and the new motor was instantly lumpy and now the led's under the motors was not on ?

I have more motors but don't wanna try it just get blown again .

Hope someone understand what I'm going on about..

Try the motor on another ESC (on your phantom) the motor will draw the power it needs (amps) if it draws too much (more than the ESC is rated for) it will blow the ESC. I suspect that is what happend.

Yeah I have changed all the motors on the phantom to 1000KV .. I spoke to a model shop guy and he said it will be fine as the phantom one are 920KV ..
But I had to change the motors first cus the original phantom motor was juddering to start and would not start ..

So i changed the motors and it was working fine :) When i fly it and after about 5 min its would drop out the sky ... I go get the phantom start it back up and it works again

Did this about 3 times..

The one time it bounced off the floor & back up flying around again ..

I dont get it ?

rowl3y said:
Yeah I have changed all the motors on the phantom to 1000KV .. I spoke to a model shop guy and he said it will be fine as the phantom one are 920KV ..
But I had to change the motors first cus the original phantom motor was juddering to start and would not start ..

So i changed the motors and it was working fine :) When i fly it and after about 5 min its would drop out the sky ... I go get the phantom start it back up and it works again

Did this about 3 times..

The one time it bounced off the floor & back up flying around again ..

I dont get it ?

Kv just means rpm per volt. 1000Kv means 1000rpm x 11.1v = 11000 rpm. It is the max watts your motors use that is important regarding ESCs and batteries. Volts x Amps = watts. You need to figure out how many watts your new motors draw, and if your current ESCs can handle it.

I think the ESCs are more likely to have trouble than the motors. The motors are essentially big resistors. If something goes wrong and you try to put too much current through them, this usually results in the ESC blowing out first.

When you say "the motor feels lumpy", is this with the battery connected or disconnected? (Since the ESC has power as soon as the battery is connected.)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj