Can anyone recommend a good flight sim?

Reaction score
Hi Guys .. this is my first venture into the world of quad copters as well as my first post here so I apologize if my question was answered in another section! :) I'm waiting for my Phantom 2 to arrive from DSLRPros and while waiting, have been watching every youtube video I can find, have purchased a Hubsan X4 to practice and now think getting a flight simulator can help as well. I just purchased this controller: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00330 ... UTF8&psc=1 and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it and what software would be recommended for a complete newb!

Thanks!

All I used was a 2.99 app for my ipad called quadcopterFX. I thought about purchasing one for my computer but I didn't want to spend the money. I would rather put that to spare props and more batteries. I just flew my 3rd flight and its crazy how easy but fun they are to fly.

I do so love RealFlight 7. It's got a couple of multi-rotors in it's line-up, out of the box, with some more available as add-ons.
The quad models do have... marginally realistic flight characteristics. Some are spot on, others use a tad of imagination. But it's decent practice. (I do find I fly some of the other models - mainly fixed-wing - more often, though)
Plus you can join other pilots online... which can be a lot of fun.

You can use a plethora of third party controllers, too... not sure about the one you bought, but a pretty good chance... or you can buy the bundle with a controller included.

@WPSPETE .. we think alike! Considering I did spend a good chunk of change, I'd rather not crash and break my Phantom on the 2nd or 3rd flight so practicing on a simulator, I'm thinking, would definitely help with the learning curve. I'm happy to hear about you mentioning how easy it is to fly. I thought about getting one of the iPad apps too but using one of those USB transmitters along with some simulation software would be closer to the real thing, ya know? Have you found using quadcopterFX on your iPad has helped you along with learning how to fly your Phantom?

glenn8105 said:
@WPSPETE .. we think alike! Considering I did spend a good chunk of change, I'd rather not crash and break my Phantom on the 2nd or 3rd flight so practicing on a simulator, I'm thinking, would definitely help with the learning curve. I'm happy to hear about you mentioning how easy it is to fly. I thought about getting one of the iPad apps too but using one of those USB transmitters along with some simulation software would be closer to the real thing, ya know? Have you found using quadcopterFX on your iPad has helped you along with learning how to fly your Phantom?

I think it helped with my hand eye coordination. I have flown RC planes for 15 years I am used to flying. But in my opinion a quad rotor is totally different. In the end I just hooked up the FPV installed my camera and said YOLO lol. I am all for simulators but I would rather spend my cash on the real thing and practise at least once per day. More if I have time. I would not advise against a sim and I think for a few bucks its a good option to train your hand eye coordination. Then its not so foreign. Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for the recommendation ProfessorStein. To be honest, I wasn't looking to spend alot of money on a sim and this looks like it would cost over $150. I was looking to see if I could just purchase the software and not the complete kit, since I just ordered a cheap Tx. I did see there was upgrade software but could not find a standalone copy of RealFlight available without having to purchase the whole bundle. Have you used any other sims?

There actually is a stand-alone version of RealFlight... sold without the TX. Like I said, I don't know if it would work with the TX you just bought, but the chances are pretty good.
The drawback is, even without the controller, it's still $130.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... fgodnj4A5A

I just haven't found anything that comes close to the realism of RF for model RC simulation. And if you're trying to use it to really practice, realism is what you're after. You kind of get what you pay for. You could pay less for a sim... but if it's not giving you a reasonable amount of real practice, what's the point.

ProfessorStein said:
There actually is a stand-alone version of RealFlight... sold without the TX. Like I said, I don't know if it would work with the TX you just bought, but the chances are pretty good.
The drawback is, even without the controller, it's still $130.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... fgodnj4A5A

I just haven't found anything that comes close to the realism of RF for model RC simulation. And if you're trying to use it to really practice, realism is what you're after. You kind of get what you pay for. You could pay less for a sim... but if it's not giving you a reasonable amount of real practice, what's the point.

That's true .. you get what you pay for. Thanks for taking the time to answer me back. I guess I have a decision to make. Ha!

I recommend Aerosim RC, the P2V is in it's bank of models, you can fly GPS or ATTI, and FPV as well. There are some training modes and game modes. You get telemetry as well.
Physics are realistic.
Drawback, you have to get a compatible RC. The phantom one doesn't work with it.
http://www.aerosimrc.com/en/home.htm

Nice serge. I hadn't seen that one. And it does ATTI and GPS (and Course Lock!)... which RealFlight lacks.

Gleenn, kinda looks like your cheap TX isn't going to work, though. Looks like the controller needs to plug through AeroSim's dongle (at least in order to get more than the 2 minute demo mode)... and I just don't see how you'd be able to do that with the RC Tech remote (it wants to plug directly into the USB port). Serge? Do you think that's true? What TX are you using?

I don't know about the RC Tech. I had a cheap Dynam but it was not compatible. I use my T8J, it works fine (with the adapter cable). They have a list of compatible remotes on their site. I think it's worth getting one , this sim is quite helpful. the training mode really helps to improve pilot skills (at least mines!) :)

sergekouper said:
I don't know about the RC Tech. I had a cheap Dynam but it was not compatible. I use my T8J, it works fine (with the adapter cable). They have a list of compatible remotes on their site. I think it's worth getting one , this sim is quite helpful. the training mode really helps to improve pilot skills (at least mines!) :)
I think you made up my mind. This does look like a great sim to train with. The only thing is I'll have to wait until my kit arrives as it's coming with a Futaba 8FG.

I'm using Phoenix (bought an older version used on Ebay and then updated free to the latest version) and I use the recently released DX6 transmitter (only $200 but w/ the latest features of a DX9). I tend to practice in agility mode since the easier modes get boring fast.

I also fly a Blade 200 QX (outdoors) and a Nano QX (indoors). Both of those quads lack a barometer. My thought is, if I can fly the little quads w/out barometers, I'm probably fine with my DJI in atti mode. ;)

Does anyone have experience with both Real Flight and Phoenix so that we can compare the two? I've only used Phoenix.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20