Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Can anyone help please?

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Robin Slater, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Robin Slater

I don't have any friends or even anyone I know who I can talk to about my issues. I am new to flying UAV (less than 50 hours flying) although I am a professional photographer. I have a P3A and have done my first few edited clips and noticed some stuttering in the filming.

I have a I-Mac 3.2 i5 with 24GB ram. I use iMovie to edit and as I say I have p3A set to 1080p 50fps at 50hz refresh rate (UK Standard) Yet I still have stuttering. If you look at the below clip at 0:35 seconds and 1:10 mins you will see what I mean.

What am I doing wrong? Anyone help please?

Jbundy63 and omarkatwe like this.
  2. Hovtech

Turn off video caching in Pilot app and switch to 30fps

Robin Slater likes this.
  3. Volantis

It is probably your graphic card or monitor. I'm watching it on Linux with a HD TV monitor and it looks fine.

Robin Slater likes this.
  4. MattyDread

If you have no friends then I recommend this thread http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/what-computer-is-everyone-using-to-edit-4k-video.49212/ as an Apple user you probably have more than enough money to throw away on some more Stuff:) 24gb ram, really?

#4 MattyDread, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    Robin Slater likes this.
  5. Blue Bird

Hi Robin, Does your original video right from the SD have this studder in it? If not, then it could be the editor you are using. I also know that on some fast turns with the P3A will some times do this as well. On your video, it is hard to notice unless YT has repaired it for you. By the way nice vid..

Robin Slater likes this.
  6. jryser

And as a fellow Apple guy and videographer may I say ur filming is beautiful!!! Love ur clip

Sent from my PT beating heart

Robin Slater likes this.
  7. msinger

Approved Vendor

I see the stuttering. Here are some tips that should help:

- Set the camera exposure to manual (ISO 100).
    - Make sure the EV value is as close to 0 as possible. You'll most likely need a lens filter.
    - Don't yaw so quickly.

Robin Slater likes this.
  8. happydays

I also read somewhere that 30fps is better for video as the eye smooths that out better. I also use 60fps for pans, but they need to be slow. Maybe try resizing to 30 fps? Not sure how to do it in iMovie though.

Robin Slater likes this.
  9. sergekouper

It is not stuttering much but as said above you are yawing too fast, be cool when you pan, this is a rule in filming, and pan only when you go from an interesting point to a more interesting point. Reduce your shutter speed to the double of your frame rate. Shoot at 25, shutter at 50 if possible or shoot at 30fps and shutter speed at 60 and iso at the minimum or /and add an ND filter. This will take care of most of the stuttering.

Robin Slater likes this.
  10. Robin Slater

Wow guys really appreciate your help I will work on your advice and let you know how I get on. I've heard of running at 30 fps before just defies logic less frames = smother filming. I get the yaw speed thing. Thanks for the advice and compliments

11. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

Nice flying. I see the two stutters very clearly. You need to see if it's in the source video or not. Play those two sections of the original source clip on a different computer. If you see stuttering, the P3A is to blame. If not, your computer is to blame.

Robin Slater likes this.
  12. Jimmykjimmy

Looks okay, but I'd dump IMovie and get adobe Premiere and use warp stabilizer to smooth images where necessary.

jryser, Robin Slater and sergekouper like this.
  13. Robin Slater

Jimmy have been looking at Final Cut Pro X but convincing the wife that I need to spend £225 on editing software is even more difficult :)

14. omarkatwe

Instead of that video is soo nice, man the spots you got in ur video its normal, thats when you turn 180' the sunshade reflection add those spots, normal,
    Your pro, photography you know that well dude, cheers
    Keep posting videos ,
    Regards

Robin Slater likes this.
  15. Robin Slater

Yeah mate i don't mean the lens flare - I meant to get them in it's the stuttering at 35 seconds and 1:10 but I think its a mixture of yaw speed and playing with the film rate practicing now :)

16. Hovtech

It's in Pilot app. Click on 1080p

Robin Slater likes this.
  17. Robin Slater

Serge, loving your show reel mate. Now that is top class filming - beautiful editing too.

Suddenly it seems I have a long way to go :) Thanks for your help mate - ill use it all.

sergekouper likes this.
  18. JayB

I agree with sergekouper from what I have read you need to try and get your shutter speed to twice the frame rate, so at 1080p 50fps you need a shutter of 100, this will give you some motion blur which smooths out the footage. the only way you can hope to achieve this on a sunny day is with ND filters, there's quite a few options out their and plenty of threads if you do a forum search, I just ordered the Taco-RC.

Robin Slater likes this.
  19. Viral

Sorry to veer off topic but how did you pan down so smoothly (to keep the island in frame while passing over it, for example). I'm brand new to drone videography and anytime I use the pan down feature, it moves it jolts, like 20 degrees at a time. Great video! Btw, watching it on my iPhone 6 shows no stutters.

20. Robin Slater

Well...I'm a beginner too. Just looked at my Pilot app and I have 15 hours flying time :) anyway If you go to the DJI Pilot App to the RC settings and adjust Gimbal Wheel Speed change it to 50 or 60 much easier to control.

This is a good resources to watch

#20 Robin Slater, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2015