Can a Tablet get GPS location from WIFI hotspot?

Ok I am new here and I have a question in this area. I have a Phantom 3 pro I have been flying with my phone but I have ordered a Samsung Galaxy tab s2 to be detected to the Phantom it has GPS and gloNass so when I fly if I move can I reset home point with just the tablet or does it need to be connected to my phone via hots top or Bluetooth and if connected to my phone will it ever make a difference

Ok I am new here and I have a question in this area. I have a Phantom 3 pro I have been flying with my phone but I have ordered a Samsung Galaxy tab s2 to be detected to the Phantom it has GPS and gloNass so when I fly if I move can I reset home point with just the tablet or does it need to be connected to my phone via hots top or Bluetooth and if connected to my phone will it ever make a difference
Welcome!

Since your new tablet has it's own GPS capabilities, you will be able to reset the home point to the RC's location and also use Follow Me. It does not need to be connected to a hotspot for those particular features.

If you are interested, click here for several tips that I often share with new P3P/P3A owners.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
I use my wifi only iPad Air 2 with my iPhone 6+ hotspot. I use the hotspot until I get home point set and my map loaded. Then turn on airplane mode for the iPad. Works perfectly.
This is what I do too… I just think it's ridiculous to buy a data plan for flying a drone. So only my opinion. I'll just use my phone to set up a hotspot which gives the iPad the data it needs.

What is the purpose of turning on airplane mode after maps upload

Sent from my SM-G930V using PhantomPilots mobile app
There could be a few reasons why some people choose to use airplane mode. Reduce the chance of interference, avoid getting calls or texts while flying, saving battery power, etc. I'm sure others can add to the list.

For me personally, I rarely use airplane mode but I do occasionally turn it on for battery savings on my tablet. Others may always use airplane mode. It's just a personal choice based on your experiences. If it helps in the areas you fly, it's a good option to have. If it makes no difference in your area, don't bother with it. Try it both ways and decide for yourself.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20