Can a p3 fly inside a metal tank. .?

I have tried a launch indoors with hundreds of tons of electrically charged spinning metal near by can't get past IMU spinning up. Took outside only seconds and she came up took back in and it was more batshit-crazy than Michelle Bachmann.

lol
And that's exactly what I see happening flying inside a metal tank. Think I said it once or twice in this thread but people don't seem to believe us ;)

And that's exactly what I see happening flying inside a metal tank. Think I said it once or twice in this thread but people don't seem to believe us ;)

I would really like to find a way around the whacked-out way it acts but haven't yet. It is a pisser when my Hubsan can fly circles around my grounded P3.

Again, wouldn't an IMU calibration in the area set the calibration to acceptable ranges in that area? Of course that calibration would be a disaster in an open area, but shouldn't it perhaps allow for flight in that area?

But again if the compass is knocked out of whack it won't matter because she will become uncontrollable

I can't fly my P3P near my truck in P-GPS without it freaking out. I haven't tried in atti. My Naza models were never bothered in GPS at my truck. I landed on my bed cover often. I fly at a high school stadium with metal bleachers. My Naza models will not fly under the bleachers in GPS, but will in atti. I need to test the P3P under the metal bleachers.

Wouldn't it be fine flying it manually in ATTI mode?

It's just pilot skill then which will stop it crashing.

Flying in atti mode isn't flying manually, atti mode still depends on the compass being of sane mind. Now old school manual may not but the p3 can't fly manual the way we used to be able to on the p1 and p2

Wonder if you can wrap the compass leg on the P3 with foil and do a calibration. Then just fly by the seat of your pants, well and a gyro, or so.

Again in ATTI mode it'll work fine as I've done it in a very high metal environment. Not here to argue, just passing a fact.

ATTI Mode don't use compass, only barometer, and gyroscope if over 3m altitude...This is why when we get a "Compass Error" it switch to ATTI mode, BUT in some environments like over lakes, rivers, high humidity/fog with some wind creating unstable air pressure, it is possible to also get a messed up barometer...Out of 213 flights,over 200 miles travelled, my p3 as switched to ATTI mode because of compass errors about 10-15 times mid-flight, and i lost my barometer and compass at same time once over a lake, barely made it back over land, once you loose compass if your are flying using FPV the gimbal can go nuts(did that twice out of all my compass errors) and it become really hard to know the angle you are in, add a confused barometer and you better realize that angle fast and put full throttle to avoid loss of altitude or it is going for a swim (Good thing i did'nt accept the beer offered to me before that scary flight..) :p

As for flying in or close to anything in metal using ATTI mode, if it as a bad surface for the bottom camera you better disable it because it can make your aircraft inpredictable at low altitude if it's enabled in those conditions, and the only thing you should worry about is interference bouncing around from your remote control signal and the Lightbridge, witch could theoretically mess up controls.

P/S: Notice when you turn on your Phantom it does go into MANUAL MODE ! For a few seconds

Good luck

When doing a job for Exxon Mobil around a very heavy metal environment I spent three days in ATTI mode, with 5kt winds only minor heading changes were required to maintain track as no GPS positioning is available in this mode... No the P3 never goes into full manual mode, it always has self levelling ability.

When doing a job for Exxon Mobil around a very heavy metal environment I spent three days in ATTI mode, with 5kt winds only minor heading changes were required to maintain track as no GPS positioning is available in this mode... No the P3 never goes into full manual mode, it always has self levelling ability.
Turn on your remote and tablet, and make sure you are on flight screen, turn on Phantom 3 and watch tablet screen carefully, for like 1-3 seconds it will say Manual mode on tablet while IMU is booting :D
Phantom 3 can go Manual mode, but not in flight lol

Got 10k to use on testing and R&D :) not so much science, more like big business.
OK. At this point, since you have got nothing to lose we are all on the edge of our seats waiting to hear if you can or can't fly around inside a Mash Tun (beer making tank). Bets currently at 6:1 against the DJI firmware allowing lift off. 10:1 against controllable flight. 16:1 for near total destruction. 100:1 in favor of forum members continuing to speculate without a shred of empirical evidence. (We all need something to keep us busy)
When do you anticipate testing, or is this really a psych experiment to determine something about forum membership? [emoji3]

I read in the manual that it disables the compass and GPS in ATTI mode. Basically barometer and your thumbs as this is the advice when you have a compass/GPS conflict...go to ATTI to save the bird.

Reactions: DroneWorxUK
Unfortunately I can't state the exact reasons due to secrecy requested but I thank you all for your input. Some very interesting ideas. I think Jeff48920 has it right though. But, how about we try flying it inside the beer making tank and if it doesn't work we just go drink beer? My initial post was in total seriousness and I will report back on my findings. Cheers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20