Can a fly away be recovered?

Reaction score
Ok so before posting this i went and search in the forum about flyaway.After reading a lot of terrible accident which just scared me even more lol had this question.

Let say you are flying with gps and lose gps very far away can you switch over atti and steer it yourself back to safety?

Let say the fly back to home safety is use because controller is not connected for some reason is it possible that when it get back close to you to control it again?

Let say that your drone is completely out of control.Can switching to ATTI save it.Would resetting your controller help on this instance?

Lot's of question I know sorry haha. You guys are amazing thank you so much for everything!

Let say you are flying with gps and lose gps very far away can you switch over atti and steer it yourself back to safety?
Your Phantom will automatically switch to ATTI mode if it cannot use the GPS data for some reason. At that point, your Phantom is going to drift with the wind -- meaning it will no longer be able to hold its position without input from your on the remote controller.

Let say the fly back to home safety is use because controller is not connected for some reason is it possible that when it get back close to you to control it again?
Yes -- your remote controller will reconnect in most cases when your Phantom is in range again. At that point, you can cancel RTH and take over.

Let say that your drone is completely out of control. Can switching to ATTI save it. Would resetting your controller help on this instance?
It depends on what's causing it to fly uncontrollably. Switching to ATTI is a good step to try. However, your Phantom could still be hard to control at that point if there is some type of interference affecting it.

If your Phantom loses contact with the controller, after 3 seconds the Phantom will automatically initiate return to home.
The Phantom has several levels of failsafe programming and is a very relaible drone.
A large percentage of the tales you read and due to operator disorientating, confusion or failing to read the manual.
The risk of your Phantom actually flying away is extremely small but reading forums full of posts from people that have problems can create a different perception.
Here's an article that might help to put things in perspective: Fear of Flying 2016 - The Last Word on Drone Flyaways! - Drone Flyers

Does anyone know if the orientation indicator on the map of the DJI go app is accurate without gps?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I don't think there are many fly-aways at all. Most of the reports here boil down to not understanding the AC. That isn't a to say that there aren't some but they are rare. You have the most reliable AC on the market go fly.

Does anyone know if the orientation indicator on the map of the DJI go app is accurate without gps?
The orientation of the aircraft is determined by using the data from the compass.

An interesting & valuable feature I may have missed in prior versions of the GoApp is in the Flight List Section. When choosing a flight to view the feature is just above the video control bar on the bottom of your flight log video. Here, you'll see your GPS Coordinates. I don't remember seeing this before. However, after pausing a chosen flight & copying the coordinates then inserting them into Google Maps it shows the exact location where a flight could have been lost.

I then entered them into my portable Garmin GPS unit & gone to those coordinates. Came to the exact location I chose to pretend I lost my Phantom.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Can u snap screenshot of that screen
Is that on iOS or Android
I'm using iOS. It's on the 2.8.6 GoApp version. Go to your Flight Logs in the GoApp, find a flight you want to review and you'll see those coordinates just above the video control bar at the bottom of the screen.

As an aside though. I realized after my posting that if your bird should go into ATTI mode you could lose those coordinates if you lack a good GPS signal. Making it more difficult to actually arrive at the precise location if you indeed had those coordinates.

Last edited:
I've only been flying for a few months, bought a P3 to use for photography as I am a photographer before a drone flyer. My first and subsequent flights (30 or so) have been over area that were non recoverable if the drone went down ie; Water, Marsh, etc. One area I fly most is a small is a large marsh leading to a bay with a tiny patch of land I drive out to, in other words not a lot of area to land. I fly carefully and have had no mishaps. Sure I've had lost signals, etc and drone always arrives back to me.

I've only been flying for a few months, bought a P3 to use for photography as I am a photographer before a drone flyer. My first and subsequent flights (30 or so) have been over area that were non recoverable if the drone went down ie; Water, Marsh, etc. One area I fly most is a small is a large marsh leading to a bay with a tiny patch of land I drive out to, in other words not a lot of area to land. I fly carefully and have had no mishaps. Sure I've had lost signals, etc and drone always arrives back to me.

These P3's are very reliable & stable. I trust mine each time I fly. But, I NEVER forget not to throw caution to the wind. As with any aircraft, the inevitable is always a possibility, and we need to be ready for it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Ok so before posting this i went and search in the forum about flyaway.After reading a lot of terrible accident which just scared me even more lol had this question.

Let say that your drone is completely out of control.Can switching to ATTI save it.Would resetting your controller help on this instance?

Lot's of question I know sorry haha. You guys are amazing thank you so much for everything!

I don’t know about ATTI mode but I have had my P3 for two weeks. After 15 flights there were two flyaway attempts but I managed to override and return it manually. When I checked the flight log it said “weak GPS signal on them both”

I don’t know about ATTI mode but I have had my P3 for two weeks. After 15 flights there were two flyaway attempts but I managed to override and return it manually. When I checked the flight log it said “weak GPS signal on them both”
Flyaway attempts ??
There's no such thing as a flyaway, just pilot confusion or disorientation.
If you post a link to your flight log someone might be able to explain what happened.

Reactions: Oso and capposteve
If you loose gps signal the drone will enter atti mode and thereby drift with the wind meaning you will have to compensate manually until gps signal returns. This is a good reason to keep vlos and also do a bit of “atti training” to be prepared.

Reactions: TreZZHombreZZ
Flyaway attempts ??
There's no such thing as a flyaway, just pilot confusion or disorientation.

I would have sworn mine attempted to fly away once, last year.

At a friend's house, I took off from his grass lawn. Went up to above tree-top and flew around a while over the house/yard - everything appeared normal. Suddenly a big yellow banner popped up on my screen that said "compass error" and the Drone took off towards the northeast at what seemed like wide open speed.

It was a p3s, so I flicked the RTH switch twice - it kept going. As I lost sight of it behind some trees, I ran towards it, got sight of it again and flicked the rth switch again - it stopped, turned around, came back, and landed right where it took off from.

I just stood there hands shaking, heart pounding, made sure it was coming down in the right place and let it auto land

I would have sworn mine attempted to fly away once, last year.

At a friend's house, I took off from his grass lawn. Went up to above tree-top and flew around a while over the house/yard - everything appeared normal. Suddenly a big yellow banner popped up on my screen that said "compass error" and the Drone took off towards the northeast at what seemed like wide open speed.

It was a p3s, so I flicked the RTH switch twice - it kept going. As I lost sight of it behind some trees, I ran towards it, got sight of it again and flicked the rth switch again - it stopped, turned around, came back, and landed right where it took off from.

I just stood there hands shaking, heart pounding, made sure it was coming down in the right place and let it auto land
And there would be a reason for what you observed that may be identifiable from the recorded flight data.
My first question would be about the launch spot - how close was it to steel or reinforced concrete?

And there would be a reason for what you observed that may be identifiable from the recorded flight data.
My first question would be about the launch spot - how close was it to steel or reinforced concrete?

I sold that Standard and bought a p3p, so the AC & .dat file is gone. The tablet I used was retired from flight duty shortly after so there may be still something there I don't know.

My friend has a large grass yard and I launched from the center, about 60 feet from the house, no other metal around unless there was something underground

just pilot confusion or disorientation.

This is what got my attention in your post - had I been confused or disoriented when it took off by itself, I would have lost it

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic