Can 2 people opperate a 4 Pro at the same time?

Reaction score
I'm still looking at buying a 4 Pro and i was curious if one person could pilot the aircraft while the other person operated the camera via 2nd remote? looks like i could on the inspire 2, just not sure on the 4 pro..... Just one more thing my wife and I can do together as a hobby.

thanks in advance!

JIM

No.

It's only possible to bind one remote controller to the P4P at a time.

I expect P5 to support two operator scenarios, along with retracks and 360 camera. I come to that conclusion because Autel will be releasing these features this summer, according to the Autel folks at CES this month. They have a version with retracks and 360 rotation camera in design. Just like the GoPro situation, I expect DJI to announce their 400mm P5 about the same time as Autel, to keep them at curb and stay ahead of the competition. Here are some photos from CES.

LxXo2oMJtakHrQugjI2J3xynOEOXW-5AIKQYc9wVFHIohZb1kcZ1wzDYcpLvtMvfbCBBGyqDWFqNWFT02KpE8u0wIye0pm3EGTwd5GwaMUYiZCU6kyFWfaFV8B0cLv3PjJ_8tpqdxXiEewuUr3TFvlZBtPwrIdxJlEpOv2IROp9-PKCjfQ4q4pXClKC9abdyxiJYG_ro7PqJ3i-RS8NVSdxEZoZArNOnG2PRNpLluH3lD-qRGbaEP5tKufRnpNJ9OBjyaXkgxGeTl5q5Ckzr5f7cvGzNXrLPMQbg1l4EDWWas_hZeHgM8bdKKOzGyFqasGDB_qQpKsBVjsUdQbb5QJH6rz8gQocKQ4o4SZ5tsfbYqBV7C_fezlNrmMn5FPjJarf-wqotgaQx4Os8AYHvADnZr1SdESUVyvreqaSeqSwzO70TffwSF9oADM4s7Q18aC0Y8YlyoHqYnj39I2800TkNr3V2Dj2-mopUjwy7onQodNqbGhJ5L_cu0k0nkmW5JBTg8bmF_cUirXIcjOfX51RJzMwbWyfp4fBmTCFzhY_YBSyVO4vO5fYGCc_67F6WLqDi6Ka-ygo_xnJqx0R4kaY6uxGrd82ZJZxwsXx5DEgO4-XXAer45g=w1689-h950-no

2vBYU5uWfa2CtxZhY8ZQnhbKNXgs87gqcdDu1INNoNj-xYMjOSCaQZEF8B4qMI9_2HGl76bZn4-tTzRXjsja-n4kK1rjWHg_JuVOj6SqvHs-BR82SU7uDXFStFqWirU44pjKNpJJ3QcXLrRtbP9IridPhHCce-eWIgKi9cyNKmHxO4HjLsxJdRi8WD4q7p1akPIQqxYH70usgmE-HAyAPisLqzExc9UKTjbGjI1VzQjbnhSBKnVYd-Xssk_ONua5HbRPoG_Ez8kRml9nUd-SBEAo-UtH8Mld0wiRZ1L4JbJL2s-YDcD4zSOW-2yQGf-21LACyJ_XXzCzckTLm1nnJ9iJE-e0ATktb4FuBk8_Npl5vUkn--V4iB4dXAQZAk_j_cDemgL_mhpamCtqdaJh9BjmN3Dov50UwiZ1Z_0vr91uKuaNmvzsFnCgSUTSHS-t6zn_6G9K3hO5_7jCjj8F37cqocbCkJ4pbEmbVikEy2WScMA1hAPlYLdVrM0gNZ-NLo7vkPY8CbhYE9A0iGNQnlW215YBNAXlg_g2Ly-Yee2H19xZwwyyYGJkN9_wOCe8AFw1JWC38RCRumpRcN3GRvRlNYhoZoOnxAWGqG8DpqKEwy2G1pqJgw=w1689-h950-no

upload_2017-1-18_12-57-20.png

BBeXpGUAF58SFEMP-BnGDQIosek8XCc2qMYh3r336p9ak0BeBUrncyvGnQZj6yuXPBz43ZkM6QTl8dki0SN28EyGSQ4PaOaGfFfYv2GairexRaKFW1x_-JWcPlL0YZRfQ3lfgN5Jbcs6WeEhbS62_l-d6VIEC4GwIf7dpO0TgcYOHxvvdb0T_AXtpcmcGQ-hknzmZNGRpgQsLyh3vwlKERoc1MG_qKQRsohcdZtxEFYpATQ9y4vGcZ2LC5rYhmPwxz0JGrR-ZK7YMCyy4WSd-1WUqwcFyfgrYZbOLp2vrZSctes4AIifFfeVCFXqrgIZ53q2YhQ98N7HVjQUOfW_s09EpxajQyk_Z2xYeQuZpQHjNDYPh9F1jBoGq8iHp-8ShOlTB6LDIEQTfXKasBEl01KM7XgbOm2x-YKGTvjt0kURr30-hVVjKpzmBF8SwDCj6M64ifx96XeJ2AYuaFmDxssSai83TMzvflPt4Pm7mXrEigfXRqJWyL53JgKV1UYjzOc2tbrte1-nOAAoE56fwElYX4J7bCTvEVek_w7fHs5gxUZutxZUqOq9F6cZtk15Bk9MgmnVCSIR0f6rYTX0PlnvtTRRhMbFQRgTCj619bByvoh8bQ=w1689-h950-no

Man, this just keeps me climbing up the old $$ ladder.... thank you for the photos, i watched their youtube video and the combo thermal and regular camera is also very intresting!

Jim

I have a Typhoon H that will support two controllers as well, one for camera one for pilot.

I don't think we will will ever see a Phantom with retracts, 360 cam or dual operator function out of the box. This is a key selling point for the Inspire and will likely remain at that class or higher. Even the flagship Inspire 2 and X5S are not true 360 gimbals. They have hard stops.

For the phantom, expect more intelligent flight modes that can effectively make the second operator unnecessary. They pretty much exist now.

As far as the autel version they said this is just a concept. Its not even written in stone. She states this quite a few times. (Autel spokes woman)

Yea some of them look very cool. Nice modular design . Hope they do bring these to market .

I don't think we will will ever see a Phantom with retracts, 360 cam or dual operator function out of the box. This is a key selling point for the Inspire and will likely remain at that class or higher. Even the flagship Inspire 2 and X5S are not true 360 gimbals. They have hard stops.

For the phantom, expect more intelligent flight modes that can effectively make the second operator unnecessary. They pretty much exist now.
Well, we'll know in a year how this pans out. We're all guessing at this point about P5. However, I highly doubt DJI will allow Autel to outperform them in the 350mm class market. That wouldn't be a good business decision, allowing the competition to fill an important niche that could erode their market share, just because it might interfere with another higher end DJI product with similar functionality. After seeing what DJI has done to shrink things in the Mavic, I'm 100% confident DJI has the technical ability to design a 350mm class craft with most of the Inspire functionality, complete with dual operator, 2nd pilot camera, 360 camera and retracts, while using a 1" sensor within the next year. I'm quite sure this will eventually happen, the question is when? Is there anyone that thinks this is beyond DJI's capability?

It's definitely not beyond DJI's capability. They could have done it on the P3 and P4. But there's no market for it. I'd bet less than 10% of Inspire users fly dual operator with any regularity. If they were to do anything with dual operator in 350mm, it would be a small Inspire.

The Phantom will continue as their base general purpose platform and will innovate on flight times, handling, FPV, cameras, and intelligent flight modes. I don't think they're very concerned about ankle biting competitors. I am no DJI fanboy but I just don't see them caring much.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
It's definitely not beyond DJI's capability. They could have done it on the P3 and P4. But there's no market for it. I'd bet less than 10% of Inspire users fly dual operator with any regularity. If they were to do anything with dual operator in 350mm, it would be a small Inspire..

Why do you think they would make a small Inspire? You really don't need that articulating frame to get the landing gear out of the way. Seems way too expensive IMO when you can simply retrack the landing gear such as Autel is showing off. Seems like a more cost effective way to accomplish the same thing.

I would disagree with the "no market" stance. Imagine having a backpackable 350mm drone that would never have the props or landing gear in the shot for under $2K, and the image quality from a 1" sensor. Oh man! I would think any experienced commercial pilot would jump for that in a minute, especially for the smaller size and cost. I agree that most owners wouldn't use dual operator mode, that's a specialty thing, but if there was such a product manufactured by anyone, and it worked, a dual operator capability would be silly to not include for those few times it's needed, especially if it had a 2nd camera for FPV navigation. Again, I think we all know someday this will happen, it's just a matter of time. I think in about a year this may be a reality, but maybe as little as 9mos. I'm curious what others think, how long will it take for a product like this to arrive? Anyone have a good crystal ball? :D

2 operators seems outdated especially with these auto modes that are making 1 pilot obsolete. Just wondering can anyone actually explain what the benefit of 2 pilots vs autopilot w/camera operator is?

2 operators seems outdated especially with these auto modes that are making 1 pilot obsolete. Just wondering can anyone actually explain what the benefit of 2 pilots vs autopilot w/camera operator is?
On commercial shoots when taking direction, is quicker to shoot . No setup time. It's impossible to follow a moving object using autopilot.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik