Cameras other than GoPro

Reaction score
Who's flying something other than a GoPro on their DJI Phantom?

Mine is going back this week for a warranty exchange. Looking for an alternative camera, I don't really like the fish eye.

I want a nice light point and shoot with 1080p 60p or at least 720p 60p. I want a Sony RX100 but I'm not willing to spend $650, I'd like to keep it in the $250 range.

Right now I'm looking at the Sony DSC-HX20V as it is around $250, has 1080p 60p, and weighs around 250g. It also has the Sony Optical Image Stabilization which appears to work very well on the RX100.

Any thoughts?

Adam said:
Who's flying something other than a GoPro on their DJI Phantom?
Mine is going back this week for a warranty exchange. Looking for an alternative camera, I don't really like the fish eye.
Any thoughts?

Well, there are a few other lens settings you can select so it's not too fish-eye wide angle.
(super wide angle does help cut down on stabilization needs, tho it would be neat if GoPro's had some kind of image stabilization built in)

Sorry to hear you got a bogus GoPro Black, it's unfortunate that GoPro kind of rushed them to market prior to the holiday season, as there are an extraordinarily high number of unsatisfied customers who are experiencing lock-ups and similar issues. (I was experiencing short/clipped video's when i first tried mine out with an older 1gig card (prior to the arrival of my 64 gig Class 10 card)

Class 10 SD card is a must with the GoPro 3. Those data rates are huge, especially if you're using ProTune

Not sure if it matters, I have the white edition, not black, but I do have a high end SD, class 10. I'd much rather put $400 towards a quality sensor, than a black edition. I just don't see a need for 2.7k now, and I don't want to wait for my computer to render/edit that.

I wonder what the difference between (weight wise) between the Gopro and say an NEX 5 would be?
The NEX 5 is the smallest dslr I know of. I'm already wanting a different camera , or a flat lens that will fit the gopro.

Before I put the GP3 Black on mine, I tried out a Sony Action Camera (HDR-AS15). The vibration and jello even with the SteadyShot on made the footage unusable. NOW, this is probably because of my mounting method. I have the TPPacks Isolation Mount and the plate is the perfect size for their Adhesive Buckle Style Mount, so I stuck it on. Fit was perfect, ground clearance was fine, but, I think the design of the buckle made it open to excessive vibration.

Other than that method, I just don't see a good way of mounting the camera using the 1/4-20 bolt on the camera housing.

Overall, I think the GP3 Black has a better picture quality and is more user friendly. YMMV.

I have an AEE SD19 arriving tomorrow, which supposedly is comparable with a Hero in many respects. Will post my finding when I have time to test it out. Big Plus is it is a lot cheaper, paid £159.99p., for mine. Included free 24hr. delivery.

kesnim said:
I have an AEE SD19 arriving tomorrow, which supposedly is comparable with a Hero in many respects. Will post my finding when I have time to test it out. Big Plus is it is a lot cheaper, paid £159.99p., for mine. Included free 24hr. delivery.
Does it have the wide angle view (does it use a "fisheye" lens)? I'm wondering if the "fisheye" look can be corrected with another lens.

MX45OR said:
kesnim said:
Does it have the wide angle view (does it use a "fisheye" lens)? I'm wondering if the "fisheye" look can be corrected with another lens.

No first hand info yet, but here is their main site with relative spec,

http://www.aee.com/en/productshow.asp?Sendid=79

But I bought from a dealer in the UK.

I don't know if this will help but I've been using a RC Logger Pro camera. It's very light and you can get three different lens. I have Velco on the back so I can use it on other quads I have.

Just checked the RC Logger site, and the specs state 500 gm weight, a tad heavy for a Phantom. Really need to keep around the 200 gm or less mark.

The AEE SD19 arrived this afternoon, a mite too late for a flight trial. But playing around indoors using in hand seems able to do a job, though at what standard, have yet to discover.

It does fit without any problem to the Hero mounting supplied on a Phantom, and weight is around 190 gm. That is without the TFT monitor fitted.

Tomorrow may be unable to fly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers