Camera update 1.1.8 and issue - HELP

Reaction score
Just noticed the new firmware update (1.1.8) for the Visions camera and walked through the procedure to install it. I believe something went wrong during the process as I am now getting a solid orange light on the back of the camera that will not go away and I get sporadic connectivity to the camera through the app, and no camera view. I was expecting a red light if something went wrong - so the solid orange light is confusing!
DJI indicates in the release notes that if something goes wrong during the firmware install that a factory reset of the camera can be performed - I just cant seem to find info on how to do this...not even sure this will be the fix to my problem, but have to start somewhere.
Any thoughts or help would be appreciated!

Byroman said:
Just noticed the new firmware update (1.1.8) for the Visions camera and walked through the procedure to install it. I believe something went wrong during the process as I am now getting a solid orange light on the back of the camera that will not go away and I get sporadic connectivity to the camera through the app, and no camera view. I was expecting a red light if something went wrong - so the solid orange light is confusing!
DJI indicates in the release notes that if something goes wrong during the firmware install that a factory reset of the camera can be performed - I just cant seem to find info on how to do this...not even sure this will be the fix to my problem, but have to start somewhere.
Any thoughts or help would be appreciated!

lets start from the beginning - have you power recycled everything? repeater, app, tx, vision ?
when you look at the update file on the mini SD card, does it now show.BAK to indicate it was read and updated correctly?
using the app, what version is the camera showing when you look in settings > about?

Reconnect your PV to Phantom 2 Vision Assistant v1.05, let it scan your Vision to see if throws a message. If not, check the firmware info page to see if the camera needs to be reflashed again.

iDrone

Geert: Good to know the firmware does work for someone - I believe I messed up the process by not turning on the camera properly for the update!
Studiowise: I have power cycled all pieces of the puzzle. Through the app the camera version info shows "N/A". The firmware file DID NOT have the amended ".bak" extension after the update sequence.
iDrone: I attached the PV to the 1.05 assistant and it gives no error messages and does not generally seam to give info about the camera. The firmware info page in the 1.05 assistant gives no info about the camera either.

Once again, the steady orange light on the back of the camera is puzzling. According to the PV users manual, this light usually indicates manual recording is activated - which it isnt. I really believe that I botched the firmware upgrade somehow and the camera is confused! I think I need to figure out how to reset the camera to the original firmware and start over. Im not sure of this process and am am hoping someone has info on how to factory reset the camera. It was working fine prior to the upgrade attempt.
Thanks again for any help/suggestions.

No farther along. I contacted my retailer and they passed me along to DJI. I have a service/tech request in to DJI and hope to hear from them soon.
I'll post back here if I get anywhere with this.

If the Assistant doesn't show any firmware version, yes it may be due to an incomplete upgrade. Have you tried putting a fresh copy of the firmware file on the microSD, putting it back into the camera (w/power OFF), then turning the PV on again? If incomplete it might search for the file on boot-up and resume the upgrade. No guarantees, but worth a shot.

iDrone

iDrone said:
If the Assistant doesn't show any firmware version, yes it may be due to an incomplete upgrade. Have you tried putting a fresh copy of the firmware file on the microSD, putting it back into the camera (w/power OFF), then turning the PV on again? If incomplete it might search for the file on boot-up and resume the upgrade. No guarantees, but worth a shot.

iDrone
Yes - I have tried putting a fresh copy of the firmware on the disk and working through the process again. The light on the camera does one very quick orange blink, and then solid orange. If I go into my phone, it sees the phantom network and the app will sometimes act as if it is going to connect to the camera, but there is a blank camera view and no telemetry data on the app. I can physically switch off the WiFi on the camera and my phone loses the network, so it is "trying" to work. One other thing I noticed is that the orange camera light stays on even when I flip the small switch on the camera to "off". Of course, I had not tried that before my problems, so not sure if that is common to all Vision cameras?!?
I REALLY wish I could try flashing the camera back to factory firmware.

iDrone: Does your PV Assistant software give you camera info (firmware version etc)? If so, where is it located? I may have overlooked it.

Thanks for staying interested - I'm being patient and hoping for some word from DJI today (or more insight from the community).

I thought the Assistant could read the firmware versions of everything inside the PV but I tried it on mine today and apparently not; the camera firmware only appears thru the app (iOS in my case) under: SETTINGS / OTHER / ABOUT where it shows the app version & camera version. Not sure what else to suggest other than to re-download another fresh copy of the firmware (in case your original is corrupted), unzip the contents directly to the Root directory of the microSD card (alongside the DCIM folder - not in it), insert, & power-up again. Your TX & WiFi repeater don't need to be turned on, the camera upgrades itself when you turn the PV on by itself.

When you started, were you using the 4Gb microSD card that came with the Vision or something else? As I'm sure you already know the Vision currently only supports up to 32Gb media. Next, was the microSD formatted in-camera or on a computer? Whenever upgrading devices that use removable media its a good idea to format the media in the device to eliminate compatibility issues. Windows Properties tells me PV's microSD is formatted as FAT32.

It took about a week for DJI mainland ROC to respond the last time I sent a request, but they'll eventually answer. Hopefully your wait will be shorter or someone will tell us how to perform the Factory Reset.

iDrone

There could be something to the thought of the format of the card. I know I ran the original 4GB card through the format process once (just to try it out) but I later upgraded to an 8GB card. Perhaps an issue if not formatted with the vision???? Hmmmmm...
At lunch today I did try a new copy of the firmware (again) to no avail. With the formatting as a potential culprit, I would like to try reformatting the card in the camera, but the app wont let that happen as it now cant access those features.
Will wait to hear from the top shop! I really appreciate all your suggestions.

If you set aside your 4Gb card and it was originally formatted in the Vision, drop the firmware file onto it and try that. The zipfile also contains a "version.txt" which actually contains the version number in binary (even though the file suffix is TXT). I'm not sure if it's necessary, I just simply unzipped the contents of the zip file DJI provided onto the microSD card in its entirety.

iDrone

iDrone,
I tried your recommendation to utilize the original 4GB card. Still no luck. Starting to think this thing has become a brick :( !!!!! Still waiting to hear from DJI.

Yeah, I was afraid of that but hopefully you'll get word soon. If you haven't already, you might ask your dealer if they know how to perform the Factory Reset on the camera, after all you'd think they'd be the first to know. It's odd the factory didn't put it in the Release Notes where it belongs. It could be an extended button press or something like holding the manual snap/record button on the bottom of the camera for 10, 20, 30secs during Power-Up, who knows.

iDrone

Hi, I also installed the new firmware. All went well but I can't see the camera information on the laptop software.
DJIscreendump_zps31f81acd.jpg

I think it would be great if the camera firmware could be upgraded from the assistant software. Not sure if thats possible...perhaps a future version of the software could include this. It would be nice to have all that info and firmware update ability in one place.

Did you sort out your problem, I have a similar issue, I have a constant Green light on my vision camera,
According to the manual a constant green light = wifi off,
But I cant find any instructions on how to turn wifi on in the camera. I have the switch turned to the wifi on position all the way over to the right, but still a constant green light, I have sent emails to the dealer and to DJI. I am still waiting for a reply.
I would like to try a factory reset on the camera, if anyone knows how please let me know

Yes we're still waiting for word from the factory on that. If you didn't get a fast-flashing red LED after upgrade, and if your firmware file on the microSD was successfully renamed to firmware_xxx.bak the "bak" suggests the upgrade was successful. You might try rebinding the WiFi Repeater & Camera. You can find those instructions in the manual.

iDrone

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj