Camera tilt control goofy

Reaction score
The little lever in the back of the controller that used to control the camera tilt used to work great. Today, I went out and it would not work properly - camera only pointed down or forward and didnt give me the ability to smoothly point it where I wanted. Gimbal was working.

Downloaded the software, updated firmwares on everything. Software readout confirmed what I was seeing. The lever controller is messed up and does not sense the input points in between. Tried calibration, but there is really nothing to calibrate if the radio's potentiometer is only reading two points in the range.

Took out the screwdriver and opened the controller. The lever is connected to a phillips-head potentiometer (pretty cheap junk!). The rotation is smooth and appears normal, but even when manually moving the potentiometer I saw the same in the software readout - position jumps from about -80% on the scale to +90% with no sensitivity in between. I assume that the potentiometer crapped out. I've only had this thing for about 3 months - is it worth contacting DJI for warranty? And if so, what should I expect?

I also see that there is another potentiometer right below the one that controls the tilt. The controller body has a hole in it presumably so that you can adjust this potentiometer with a screwdriver. I tried google and could not figure out what this was for. Any ideas?

Found answer to my own question and decided to be a good citizen and make my 4th post a helpful one for someone who runs into this.. Dangit! Was sure the POV/potentiometer crapped out! However, this is one of those things that didnt translate well from Chinese or something... Using the RC Assistant (I have version 1.1) the message says that you cannot configure the X1 control (which is the camera tilt) and to do it in the Phantom 2 Assistant program. I followed these instructions and it lead to my condition.

What to do: Ignore the message in RC Assistant that says to configure the X1 in the other software! Hit the Calibration button, follow the instructions, but when it says to move the sticks around, do that AND ALSO move the camera tilt control back and forth. Despite what the message says, this will calibrate it! Mine went from jumping between two points to having smooth range of motion again! After running the calibration 3 times it got even smoother!

This saved my bacon too. I was about to post a whole video about how it wasn't responding very well.

Question though: After putting the copter into "H3-3D" mode using the phantom2 tool, it takes control away from the phone. Is there anyway to use the tilt lever on the controller and also be able to control it from my phone as well? or you get one or the other?

Or, Is there a way to change it on the fly from tilt control to phone control? say, using the Vision+ utility app?

Thanks!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pitchpost