Camera settings

Reaction score
what do all the camera settings do? I mean understand the basic stuff.. Pal or ntsc..1080 or 4K, 50or 60 hz

But ISO ? EV? The ones along the top right? Along the left middle too

ISO controls the "sensitivity" of the sensor. Back in the film days, film rolls came in different ISO speeds, and depending on whether you were planning to shoot at night or in the day, indoor or outdoor, you would choose your film ISO accordingly. With digital, you can now choose on the fly, whenever you want, without having to use up a roll of film before changing it for a different ISO. ISO 100 is less sensitive to light, while ISO 1600 is more sensitive, so you may be using iso 100 during the day, and maybe iso 1600 at night, etc. Higher ISO speed is more sensitive to light, allowing you to use faster shutter speeds, but you will see more noise in the image.

EV is basically an exposure meter/compensation tool. It tells you where you are, in terms of exposure, with the image coming in through the lens. You can scroll this setting back and forth to adjust your exposure in auto mode. In manual mode you can use this as a meter to see how over or under exposed your settings are.

what do all the camera settings do? I mean understand the basic stuff.. Pal or ntsc..1080 or 4K, 50or 60 hz

But ISO ? EV? The ones along the top right? Along the left middle too

NTSC if you are in the States.

When you are in AUTO mode, you can adjust EV, by using right camera setting wheel (on the controller). On MANUAL mode you can adjust ISO, by using same wheel. Pressing the wheel you can also adjust shutter.

All right. I give up. I know they has to be a way to change the camera from Manual to Auto, since FCPhantom makes reference to that and the Inspire Pilot App video shows a Auto/Manual option in the camera controls, but for the life of me I can't find it in my P3P/Pilot App (ver. 1.1.0) interface. What's the secret?

P.S. The DJI documentation sucks when it come to the camera and the still photo options.

I have select right button, back on the Tx. You can customize differed features in to these buttons. Pressing the button change between Auto and Manual

All right. I give up. I know they has to be a way to change the camera from Manual to Auto, since FCPhantom makes reference to that and the Inspire Pilot App video shows a Auto/Manual option in the camera controls, but for the life of me I can't find it in my P3P/Pilot App (ver. 1.1.0) interface. What's the secret?

P.S. The DJI documentation sucks when it come to the camera and the still photo options.

When you press the icon with the 3 lines on below the shutter button it reveals the ISO, shutter speed and EV value. You can use the right wheel on the shoulder to change either the ISO or Shutter speed, if you press the wheel it will toggle between the 2. Now if you press the icon again under the shutter button it will go back to auto, what you have to do is swipe the screen right to left, the settings will disappear and you will be left with a small lock icon on the left of the screen, now the manual settings you dialled in are still active.

Reactions: AmosMoses
I set the C1 button to "Camera Settings" - that was the only camera-related option available. However clicking C1 seems to only do the same as the bottom control within the camera panel of the App, namely to bring up controls for ISO, shutter speed and EV. Of these, only ISO and shutter can be adjusted, which leads me to believe that my camera is in Manual Mode. I still cannot switch to Auto mode.

Didn't see JayB's response until after my second posting. Wow. Did you figure that out by trial and error, or is it documented somewhere?

So, to be clear, with the lock icon, the ISO/shutter are fixed at the selected values (EV compensation ignored?) - i.e. Manual. With no lock icon, the camera is in Auto mode (shutter set automatically)? What about ISO in Auto mode - is it the user set value? And then there's the EV, which I assume provides adjustment to the exposure level (shutter speed) in Auto mode. However, I do not seem to be able to change EV in either Manual or Auto Mode.

Didn't see JayB's response until after my second posting. Wow. Did you figure that out by trial and error, or is it documented somewhere?

So, to be clear, with the lock icon, the ISO/shutter are fixed at the selected values (EV compensation ignored?) - i.e. Manual. With no lock icon, the camera is in Auto mode (shutter set automatically)? What about ISO in Auto mode - is it the user set value? And then there's the EV, which I assume provides adjustment to the exposure level (shutter speed) in Auto mode. However, I do not seem to be able to change EV in either Manual or Auto Mode.

Through trial, error and watching a few inspire 1 pilot app videos. When in manual you cannot adjust EV, this is just shown as a value. In Auto mode the only value you can change is th EV, you use the same shoulder dial.

Something else that might be useful if you don't know already is if you are in photo mode and hold the shutter button for 3 seconds on screen it will reveal further options like burst mode and auto bracketing.

Reactions: astonecipher
I have been mucking about with the ISO and shutter speed settings for night photography. It is tricky to get right and I generally take a few shots on different settings to compare later. It is quite hard to tell at the time how it came out. Higher ISO means lower shutter speed required (which means it is generally sharper) but if it is really calm and you can do a long exposure on 100 ISO then you are going to have a very smooth looking shot with less 'noise'.

I managed this shot last night after lots of attempts to get it right.

DJI_0040x.JPG

The problem is, I am in Auto mode (no lock icon), press the three-line control to show ISO/Speed/EV, and then can change ISO and Shutter but not EV. Pressing the right wheel toggles between ISO and Shutter only.

The problem is, I am in Auto mode (no lock icon), press the three-line control to show ISO/Speed/EV, and then can change ISO and Shutter but not EV. Pressing the right wheel toggles between ISO and Shutter only.

That is correct, the EV value changes as you adjust ISO & shutter to show if you are under or over exposed.
You can only adjust EV if you are in Auto mode

But that is exactly my problem. In Auto (no lock icon), when I should be able to change EV, EV setting is shown but cannot be selected/altered.

I figure I must be missing something that is obvious to everyone but me.

But that is exactly my problem. In Auto (no lock icon) ...
When you are in Auto .. the AE (auto exposure) and Padlock icon in top right turn blue.
Play around with the controls and you will get there.
The right wheel is also a button .. you can turn it to scroll through options and click it to select.

When you are in Auto .. the AE (auto exposure) and Padlock icon in top right turn blue.
Play around with the controls and you will get there.
The right wheel is also a button .. you can turn it to scroll through options and click it to select.

The issue at this point is not getting into Auto. I believe I am, since there is no lock icon at left (and the AE is blue). The issue is that, once in Auto, clicking the right wheel shows the three camera settings at left (ISO/Shutter/AE) but only toggles between the first two. I have not figured out how to alter the AE in Auto.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic