Camera Settings With Filters.

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions regarding the camera settings when using filters.

Do I have to adjust the settings if I slap on an ND-16 filter etc.? Will the camera automatically adjust after the filter is on there?

Also, I ordered the Polar Pro Professional Series. It is a mix of a Polarizing filter and then it has some hybrid filters which are Polarizing/ND in one, then some regular ND filters.

Any small tips for an amateur, like myself, will be greatly appreciated. I really want to shoot some nice videos with this Phantom 4.

TIA for any and all info. :)

I too would like a better understanding. I've just received ND 4 - 64 and the sun is finally in the UK so any help with some good setup and advice would be great.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I am by no means any sort of expert...
Most people get the ND filter because they are after a more 'cinematic' feel to the video. This requires a slower shutter speed which is not possible with the stock UV as it will be too washed out.

Putting on a ND on the image becomes a lot darker. Which in most situations will allow you to use a slower shutter speed (bright days). You want to try keep the ISO at 100 whenever possible for the least amount of noise etc. A general guide is that your shutter speed should be 2x what fps you are shooting in. So for 4k 24fps you should aim for a shutter speed of 50(48 is not possible). This is not a law of photography, just a guide.

Put a ND8 filer on, make sure your shutter speed is manually set to 2x your frame rate, ISO 100 and IF the drone is automatically adjusting the EV(exposure) down (eg -0.7) it means the image is still too bright (try the ND16). if the drone is adjusting the EV up (eg +1.2) it means the image is too dark use the ND4.

You will soon get a feel for "what lens and when.."

Jussaguy from these forums does a fantastic job explaining some of the optimal video setting/formats for the DJI p4. Long but full of great information.

Reactions: Intrepid97
I have a couple of questions regarding the camera settings when using filters.

Do I have to adjust the settings if I slap on an ND-16 filter etc.? Will the camera automatically adjust after the filter is on there?

Also, I ordered the Polar Pro Professional Series. It is a mix of a Polarizing filter and then it has some hybrid filters which are Polarizing/ND in one, then some regular ND filters.

Any small tips for an amateur, like myself, will be greatly appreciated. I really want to shoot some nice videos with this Phantom 4.

TIA for any and all info. :)
First, Thanks for ordering our filters!
Here are a few tips to get you started, and maybe answer some questions.
1. For a cinematic look and feel this chart below is a good starting point. Keep in mind it is a good starting point but still make sure your shutter speed is 2x your frame rate.

2. If you are going for a more color saturated look or filming near water, try to use the Polarizer / ND combo filters.

3. No need to adjust any settings. Just keep ISO at 100 like rustlecrowe recommended

4. The more you shoot the better you will get a feel for what the filters do to each scene

PolarPro-Filter-Guide_large.png

Hope that helps a bit!

3. No need to adjust any settings. Just keep ISO at 100 like rustlecrowe recommended
Although I agree with all your other points I disagree with this one. Sharpness of the camera is ridiculous at default settings. Sure, it's a look (I realize there is no arguing taste) but whether it's a good look or not is a completely different question.

Although I agree with all your other points I disagree with this one. Sharpness of the camera is ridiculous at default settings. Sure, it's a look (I realize there is no arguing taste) but whether it's a good look or not is a completely different question.

You are correct, the P4 stock sharpness setting is high.

I was just answering the question, that there are no special settings you need to change just because you are using a filter.
The filter will not effect anything other than shutter speed.

You are absolutely right that there are many settings that can be changed to increase image quality on the P4 regardless of using a filter or not, and looks like you have a great article about it above!

Reactions: Phantom-Four
You are correct, the P4 stock sharpness setting is high.

I was just answering the question, that there are no special settings you need to change just because you are using a filter.
The filter will not effect anything other than shutter speed.

You are absolutely right that there are many settings that can be changed to increase image quality on the P4 regardless of using a filter or not, and looks like you have a great article about it above!
I guess I misinterpreted what you said.

And thanks for the kind words. I'll pass it on to the author :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20