camera settings to get MONSTER MOON tonight

Reaction score
I'd like to get some pics and video of this huge moon we are going to be able to see tonight, but i have not flown at night before so I have no test settings for the camera. I also don't know really anything about camera settings so I am hoping some one on here will be able to post what settings i should have to get the best quality, etc.

Appreciate the input as I have seen people posting that the auto settings aren't the best because they change things mid video and it ruins the way the video looks then.

Thanks guys!

I have done that 28 days ago on holiday.
You can play with the settings wile the bird hovers and you can concentrate on taking a good picture.
The auto mode isn't indeed something that works out.
Also the lens on the camera isn't the best for doing this kinda work.
The moon is going to be needle head sized in the whole picture.
Have fun in getting a setting that works for you.

You won't make much of it, the moon will appear like a pinhead in the frame due to the wide-angle lens.
Look for the possibility of a long reflection on water as it is rising if anything.

Somewhat counter-intuitive but you probably won't want auto-exposure trying to make the scene daytime bright - so try about -1 or lower.
It will be best if the scene is partly lit by streetlights or before it is fully dark.

I did it this morning before sunrise as the moon was setting... learned a couple things the hard way...

1) make sure your lens is clean... duhhh :oops:
2) put some black tape over the front arm LEDs or you will have an irritating red glow all over the top of the frame...

Then the rest of the settings are anyone's experiment... they all suck for this type of thing... The camera just ain't up to it :ugeek:

4WD is right to capture big moon like you see in movies you need long tele lens to get the effect with GoPro it will be like pinhead.

if you want to catch good shots of the moon, youll need:
a tripod
a dslr
at least a 300mm lens

theres nomway you can catch good shots of the moon with a moving go pro camera.

Interested in the result now were the day after !!!

Just fly closer to the moon.
Make sure the moon is at the horizon and not above the phantom.
LOL. Beautiful moon but it was half covered in clouds in Sydney.
Does anyone have any DSLR images?

Mako79 said:

this one was shot with a 70-300 lens, a dslr and a tripod :)

thats why i said its nearly impossible to get a good shot with a moving gopro.

Attachments

• moon.jpg
    moon.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 644
Wow. Every time this comes up, the unwashed masses think something stupendous is visible in the sky.

"Supermoon". Pffffft.

Let's do some math here. The moon, on average, is 238853 miles away. That makes it 31.7 arcminutes in the sky.

Now, along comes the 'Supermoon'! Ooooh! The moon is now 34.1 arcminutes. Wow. 8% larger.

To give you a bit better perspective on this, have someone hold a dime up and look at it from 76½" away. That's how large the moon appears, on average, in the sky. Now, step closer so your eye is 71" away from the dime. THAT'S how much larger a 'supermoon' appears.

I took these photos of the SuperMoon on March 19, 2011 (right half) as compared to a Full Moon on October 21, 2010 (left half). The SuperMoon in this comparison is a little over 10% larger

Attachments

• P1010115_IMG_0807ce.jpg
    P1010115_IMG_0807ce.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 439
chapsrlz said:
Mako79 said:

this one was shot with a 70-300 lens, a dslr and a tripod :)

thats why i said its nearly impossible to get a good shot with a moving gopro.

The phantoms have no chance lugging a 70-300 lens.
Thanks for the shot. Nicely done with the given gear you have.

480sparky said:
Wow. Every time this comes up, the unwashed masses think something stupendous is visible in the sky.

"Supermoon". Pffffft.

Let's do some math here. The moon, on average, is 238853 miles away. That makes it 31.7 arcminutes in the sky.

Now, along comes the 'Supermoon'! Ooooh! The moon is now 34.1 arcminutes. Wow. 8% larger.

To give you a bit better perspective on this, have someone hold a dime up and look at it from 76½" away. That's how large the moon appears, on average, in the sky. Now, step closer so your eye is 71" away from the dime. THAT'S how much larger a 'supermoon' appears.

I think that's the 2nd time I've fell for that this year.

KOomGRZ.png

Super moon with 100-400mm. I wish the PV2+ could lug my SLR and lens up. :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 439
supermoon from a tripod, on the ground!
windmill is 12Km from camera,
moon 365,000Km behind windmill
Camera is Finepix HS20 EXR

Attachments

• windmillmoon.jpg
    windmillmoon.jpg
    588.6 KB · Views: 500
Zinnware said:
I took these photos of the SuperMoon on March 19, 2011 (right half) as compared to a Full Moon on October 21, 2010 (left half). The SuperMoon in this comparison is a little over 10% larger

Dec 2008

Attachments

• DSC_3644.JPG
    DSC_3644.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 475

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member