Camera settings mistake

Reaction score
Finally got to fly last night after terrible weather forever. While grounded I had been looking over some settings, well it appears I did more than looking. I left the camera set to 4:3 and never noticed this last night. While the pictures are still nice, wishing I had not made that mistake.
Sunset clouds.jpg

Why is 4:3 a mistake? If you were wishing you had shot 16:9 you can crop your 4:3 image to get the desired result. 16:9 as a setting is only cropping the 4:3 image that the camera sees.
I prefer 4:3 and then crop as I feel necessary. For instance you may choose to crop out more land to show more sky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why is 4:3 a mistake? If you were wishing you had shot 16:9 you can crop your 4:3 image to get the desired result. 16:9 as a setting is only cropping the 4:3 image that the camera sees.
I prefer 4:3 and then crop as I feel necessary. For instance you may choose to crop out more land to show more sky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto this. The sensor is 4:3 so to get the full 12MP, you should be in 4:3 mode. All 16:9 does is chop some pixels off the top and bottom which you can do to your 4:3 and get the same thing as if you had shot in 16:9 mode (and the same resolution). Only thing you might have to keep in mind is: don't frame your subject too tight top/bottom: leave a little extra room on the top and bottom in case you want to make a 16:9 or 3:2 and still keep everything to the sides.

Nice shot BTW!

Mike

Reactions: SnoozeDoggyDog
Well, that is why I am on here... To keep learning. I swear someone wrote a few weeks back that 4:3 was so 80's and nobody shoots like that anymore. I can see your points on cropping to 16:9 after if needed/wanted. So much to absorb! Trying to get better at flying and getting good images, next comes learning how to edit them. I have not yet read enough to chose the software I want to work with.

Thanks for the compliment Mike.

And for the advice from shockwave199 and RasterEyes of course.

Last edited:
Did you happen to shoot that image in raw+JPEG and you have the DNG file? Would be curious what I could do with it in DNG form.

Mike

Reactions: No Lemon
Yes and will post shortly. Love to see the result. I took about 20 as I was playing with the settings. Some lighter and some darker, I was at about 350 feet I think. Could not get much more sky without props in frame.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

DNG or a zipped DNG might be too big for the forum, not sure. If it is, you could just post a link to it somewhere else if you can. I'm just curious what I could do with the DNG and would post the results of what I got for you.

Mike

DNG or a zipped DNG might be too big for the forum, not sure. If it is, you could just post a link to it somewhere else if you can. I'm just curious what I could do with the DNG and would post the results of what I got for you.

Mike
Try this link to Google drive site. I think you can get the full file from this.
DJI_0007.DNG

Cool. Just wanted to see how much leeway was in the DNG and if I could bring out a little detail in the ground...

Mike

Attachments

• DJI_0007.jpg
    DJI_0007.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 610
Reactions: NRJ
I either need to hire you both to enhance my shots or teach me to do it. Both are awesome!

I either need to hire you both to enhance my shots or teach me to do it. Both are awesome!

I got Lightroom about a year ago and started pressing buttons and moving sliders. You'll get better at it as time goes by. I brought up the exposure, dropped the highlights, a little clarity and bumped up the red and orange.

Reactions: TulsaReiner
Took a quick stab at it too. When using a RAW converter you can get so much more out of an image than when you let the camera decide how it should look.
[file]quickimageedit|none[/file]

Excellent I love this kind of shiznit! I've downloaded the photo. When I get home I'm going to post the edit too. Hopefully I win :p haha. A good starting point when editing is bringing down the highlights and increasing the blacks. Understand a histogram so you can get these right and then it's got a good base for further edits like contrast, noise reduction etc.

The only thing I've noticed about pulling the blacks back on photo from the P3 is the noise introduced is insane and fixing that softens the image. I'm too picky so throw most images in the bin from the Phantom. It would be ace to get a DSLR attached to the P3 haha.

Excellent I love this kind of shiznit! I've downloaded the photo. When I get home I'm going to post the edit too. Hopefully I win :p haha. A good starting point when editing is bringing down the highlights and increasing the blacks. Understand a histogram so you can get these right and then it's got a good base for further edits like contrast, noise reduction etc.

The only thing I've noticed about pulling the blacks back on photo from the P3 is the noise introduced is insane and fixing that softens the image. I'm too picky so throw most images in the bin from the Phantom. It would be ace to get a DSLR attached to the P3 haha.

Do what I do... I have a noise filter for Photoshop. When I edit a photo in Lightroom, if the ISO is over, say 6.400 I throw it into Photoshop and use a filter called Noiseware, works AWESOME for low light shots (I'm a sports photographer and always shooting in low light...)

Do what I do... I have a noise filter for Photoshop. When I edit a photo in Lightroom, if the ISO is over, say 6.400 I throw it into Photoshop and use a filter called Noiseware, works AWESOME for low light shots (I'm a sports photographer and always shooting in low light...)

I've always found the noise to be introduced at a low ISO (below 1000) on the P3. I don't really get noise in my photos on my DSLR because I use brighlty lit scenarios or have a longer shutter speed with 100 ISO. Still some but easily fixed.

BTW have you tried Dfine from the Nik Collection? I've not yet, I actually forgot I had it but Nik collection is a free suite from Google if you're unaware of what it is. Silver Efex etc is included in the bundle and Google made it free. It was originally in the hundreds to purchase it and is plug-ins for PS. It's one of the higher rated ones out there.

Google Nik Collection

I've always found the noise to be introduced at a low ISO (below 1000) on the P3. I don't really get noise in my photos on my DSLR because I use brighlty lit scenarios or have a longer shutter speed with 100 ISO. Still some but easily fixed.

BTW have you tried Dfine from the Nik Collection? I've not yet, I actually forgot I had it but Nik collection is a free suite from Google if you're unaware of what it is. Silver Efex etc is included in the bundle and Google made it free. It was originally in the hundreds to purchase it and is plug-ins for PS. It's one of the higher rated ones out there.

Google Nik Collection

So funny... I keep forgetting to download the Nik suite, but you just reminded me... thanks!! :)

I always wanted to try Nik, but didn't want to pay... glad they made it free, but I'm afraid that because it is free that Google is planning on getting rid of it.

I just got my P3P last week, but I haven't flown it yet (weather mostly, and life schedule...). Hopefully I'll get it up today for even a little bit.

Reactions: YoshiK1
So funny... I keep forgetting to download the Nik suite, but you just reminded me... thanks!! :)

I always wanted to try Nik, but didn't want to pay... glad they made it free, but I'm afraid that because it is free that Google is planning on getting rid of it.

I just got my P3P last week, but I haven't flown it yet (weather mostly, and life schedule...). Hopefully I'll get it up today for even a little bit.

Welcome haha. Either way the current software is excellent to use especially SilverEfex. I only got my P3A a couple of weeks back.

Reactions: Phantom-Four
Welcome haha. Either way the current software is excellent to use especially SilverEfex. I only got my P3A a couple of weeks back.

I'm coming from a P2 Non-Vision with Zenmuse for my GoPro Hero 4. But I also just built a couple of racing quads... Can't wait to take video and not have to worry about the GoPro fisheye... :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl